lNew website - v.good but the contrast of text is lower

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 13 Jul 2011, 19:03

I wonder if the new logo - which I like very much the "C" is inspired - could perhaps do with being thinned down a bit top to bottom allowing another row of text entries to be made underneath it thus allowing a bit more acreage on the precious front page for entries?

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 13 Jul 2011, 19:03

I wonder if the new logo - which I like very much the "C" is inspired - could perhaps do with being thinned down a bit top to bottom allowing another row of text entries to be made underneath it thus allowing a bit more acreage on the precious front page for entries?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 13 Jul 2011, 15:04

Thanks all for the comments! I've received a bunch of useful suggestions for little tweaks and will be working on them later in the week.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 12 Jul 2011, 09:23

Now that the website has a fantastic professional look to it, it's more important than ever that groups who do not include themselves on it should get round to doing so!

That especially goes for organisations of and for the elderly. It simply isn't true that once you're 70 you're past using the internet, and many people thinking of moving here will be interested in what goes on specifically for the older age groups.

There is in fact lots going on for retired, older and/or more vulnerable people, but little or none features on this site.

Edward Fenton
👍

Mon 11 Jul 2011, 22:13

On the subject of the logo - it is perfect! Who designed it/where does it come from? Although I praised Richard for his fantastic work, I'm aware that there must be others who deserve credit - for example David Murphy, who (as I see from the small print at the foot of this page) took the excellent heading photos.

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Mon 11 Jul 2011, 17:23

Thanks for the hyper link on the logo very quick work

Dave Oates
👍

Mon 11 Jul 2011, 15:11

Well done Richard - the new site looks great

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Mon 11 Jul 2011, 09:23 (last edited on Mon 11 Jul 2011, 13:54)

Like the new site would be great to have a direct link on where to shop on home page like there is for where to stay / eat etc
Thought the photo gallery was great had a good look through that as well, one last thing can the new logo be made into a hyper link back to main page as is a lot easier clicking on that when you are using a internet phone than to have to scroll to top of page then enlarge screen to hit the right link back to home page each time, anyway well done all those involved

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Sun 10 Jul 2011, 20:27

I love the new site which displays without any problems at all, and for Richard's information, this is on Firefox 5, and using Ubuntu linux. It also seems a lot faster than the old site, though I'm not quite sure why that should be, unless it now sits on a different server.

Well done; it's brilliant!

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Sun 10 Jul 2011, 20:01

Richard - brilliant - only just looked on this evening as been away. Agree with Ed, you are very modest - think you should put your copyright on here!

Edward Fenton
👍

Sun 10 Jul 2011, 15:05 (last edited on Mon 11 Jul 2011, 22:07)

I was a great admirer of the old website - so much better than any other town or village website that I've seen - but the new one is absolutely inspired. I especially like the train tracker and weather forecast on the homepage, and the pages in the 'Visit Charlbury' section (e.g. 'Charlbury curiosities'). The new website is well worth exploring, if you haven't done so already.

I see that the homepage still says that the website is 'created by the community', but that's just Richard Fairhurst being modest. People here gratefully use the website, but the creative brain behind it is Richard himself.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 10 Jul 2011, 14:12

One of the things I'd like to do in due course is add a 'user settings' page (someone else mentioned wanting to view the forum in earliest-first order, I think), so I'll look at adding the option of a heavier font to that.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Sun 10 Jul 2011, 14:07

I don't have a problem with the new site, although I generally have problems with websites. I actually like the fact it's not on a white background any more because it reduces glare.

Try using the Windows magnifier Malcolm, the larger the text, the easier it is to see it (although scrolling to read it becomes a PITA!), plus you can invert the colours so you have a white text on a black background to reduce glare. I have to do this with a fair few websites.

russell robson
👍

Sun 10 Jul 2011, 10:40

Excellant new site look and feel, Richard.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sat 9 Jul 2011, 20:17

While I like the appearance of the new design overall I am finding that the contrast of the letters on the background and their stroke width a bit low and thin for easy reading - my one remaining eye is not what it was for reading at close range and I am finding it difficult to read the text alas. Can you tweak the appearance to make letters stand out a bit more vividly and perhaps a bit bigger? I know my wife has difficulty with contrast on websites too so she will also be noticing this. But overall it does look much prettier but did come as a shock as I hadn't spotted any notification that it was undergoing major redesign! Many thanks if you could improve the text contrast a bit by a font change or something!! The background colour with a more parchmenty appearance is quite restful but if the letters could be make to stand out a bit more upon it perfection will have been well striven for...

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.