Charlbury Garage

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 2 Mar 2012, 11:02

Just thought I'd revive this thread. I just took my car in to Dean, as I was worried about possible wheel bearing noise. He drove it round the block, heard the noise, put it on the ramp, found and corrected the fault (not wheel bearings, I'm relieved to say) and wouldn't take any money for something so trivial. Brilliant service and a good diagnosis. Thanks, Dean.

Pippa Nash
👍

Sat 25 Jun 2011, 12:08

My husband has used Charlbury garage and they have been wonderful. I'm pleased we've got such a good garage in the town. The way they have responded to this shows what a good company they are who value their customers. I can think of lots of other companies who wouldn't go out of their way to resolve it, like this.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Thu 23 Jun 2011, 16:51

I agree, Sue. I've used them for 15 years and they have been efficient, helpful and courteous throughout. And they always look for the most economic way to do a job, not the most expensive. I'm really pleased they are there.

Susan Way
👍

Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:00

Please Chris, give Dean a break. He provides an excellent local sevice which we are lucky to have on our doorstep.

Chris Bates
👍

Thu 23 Jun 2011, 08:47

It doesn't absolve them of needing to know their consumer law though.

John Munro
👍

Wed 22 Jun 2011, 14:36

Just to set the record straight, I have now had a very friendly chat with Dean at the garage and he will be asking the Charlbury Chronicle to add a note to the advert to say that it should be presented in advance and not when you go to collect your car. I fully accept his explanation about being unable to amend the invoice once it has been prepared and printed.
I would like to repeat that I have every intention of continuing my support of Charlbury Garage who provide an excellent service.

Donna Beasley
👍

Wed 22 Jun 2011, 14:25

On behalf of Charlbury Garage i have been asked to put a post on concerning the MOT discount voucher. First and foremost Charlbury Garage would like to apologise for any misunderstandings and confusion there may have been around the production of this voucher. Charlbury Garage are now putting signs up in their reception to highlight the terms and conditions - and are also in the process of having the voucher/advert changed to prevent any further confusion or upset.
Dean is contacting Mr Munro to reimburse the difference between that of the voucher and the full price. Once again Charlbury Garage are sorry for this misunderstanding, they are a small local business which relies upon the loyalty of their customers and always aim to give a first class service and hope that no more confusion or upset will occur. Thank you

John Munro
👍

Tue 21 Jun 2011, 18:52

Russell,
Understand what you are saying, but unless that condition is stated in the advert they are breaking Trading Standards rules I believe.
ps - I have a spare copy of the advert if you can't find yours - but do remember to present it up front! It will save you £10.80

russell robson
👍

Tue 21 Jun 2011, 17:05

John,

You'll find a lot of offers that require presentation of an offer require it to be done before the invoice is generated.

I'm not say it is transparent, but I have lost out on a couple of occasions like this to much larger businesses than Charlbury Garage.

PS Our car needs an MOT so i'll hunt down the last Chronicle.

John Munro
👍

Tue 21 Jun 2011, 15:11

Just a thought, do you think I should let the Charlbury Chronicle know they are running an advert with an offer that may not be honoured?

John Munro
👍

Tue 21 Jun 2011, 09:27

Chris
I am not on a witch-hunt here and want to support our local businesses, so won't be taking this to TS, but just wanted to put out a warning to others.
However, I can catagorically state that there are absolutely no terms and conditions whatsoever printed in the advert. All it says (in quite large font)is:- 20% off your MOT with this leaflet (all in capitals)
It also says elsewhere in the ad:- Half price mot with full service (again in capitals)

Chris Bates
👍

Tue 21 Jun 2011, 09:04

If that explicit term isn't included in the actual offer, I would speak to Trading Standards, and TS will give them a rap over the knuckles - and may even order them to accept on pick-up.

That term is sufficiently important that they can't hide it away & should appear in the main advert.

John Munro
👍

Mon 20 Jun 2011, 15:24

I don't like to moan about local companies, but just by way of warning - if anyone wants to take advantage of the 20% discount for an MOT as advertised on the inside page of the Charlbury Chronicle, then make sure you take the leaflet with you when you take the car in!
I have just gone to collect our car after the MOT, presented the advert to them and was told quite bluntly that it only applied if handed in when the car is taken there - they had already printed off the invoice for the full cost and said they couldn't/wouldn't be able to do anything about it!
Having had my rant, we will continue to use them as they do a good job overall - just a shame they weren't clear about the terms and conditions of the offer!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.