NHS dentist

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 30 Sep 2011, 14:24

Well, after some weeks of agonising, I have learnt one or two things... I'm not talking about specific dentists here, just generalising.

An NHS dentist will typically not do ALL treatments on the NHS. If you need a crown or a denture, for example, that may have to be done privately (by the same dentist).

A given denture that cost a patient £720 privately from an NHS dentist would have cost about £500 from another (but "private") dentist. In other words, an NHS dentist can if they so wish make up for the relatively small sums they are paid for check-ups and fillings by charging more for private treatments.

Financially, it is to a dentist's advantage to avoid a lot of the minor work (if done on NHS scales) and concentrate on the more expensive and often private work, as well as the cosmetic treatments that may come their way.

So the choice between an NHS and a private dentist is not as simple as it seems. You may be choosing between the actual dentists, rather than making a private versus NHS choice. Which will cost you more in the long run may not be a foregone conclusion.

Kat Patrick
👍

Sun 19 Jun 2011, 23:40

I second the dentists at Chippy, though sometimes it's an age to get their phone to ring through and not be engaged.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 14 Jun 2011, 19:39

Chipping Norton Dental Practice are excellent. 646620.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 14 Jun 2011, 17:01

Can anyone recommend an NHS dentist in Witney or Chippy (or nearer)? I'm not very happy with my present dentist, but dread the cost of private fees.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.