Nasty bug bites?

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 1 Jun 2011, 01:30

Send in a request to the local Co-op to supply the beer in quantity! My wife got bit nastily week or two back. Obviously these critters are deep biting with their mandibles and injecting bacteria ( and saliva proteins and anti-coagulants as well) deep into the sub dermal skin layers. Nasty. Thought I had left blackfly behind me in Canada... Any idea what the active infective bacteria is that is causing the nasty infections? What are they carrying?

John Munro
👍

Tue 31 May 2011, 12:34

Jody - Are you saying your husband has had a couple of pints already this year - or a couple of bites? :-)

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Tue 31 May 2011, 09:38

The Blandford Fly ale is rather good - even if the ginger doesn't work the numbing effects of several pints helps to subdue the itching of these bites - my husband's had a couple already this year, thankfully I've escaped so far though I have been tasty in previous years.

John Munro
👍

Mon 30 May 2011, 21:19

Both years I have had a dozen or more at the same time!

Kat Patrick
👍

Mon 30 May 2011, 16:51

Can't imagine getting more than one of these bites at a time!! Yeeeooowwwwww!!!!

By the way, everything is settling down now, so two bad days of itching and swelling before it improves. I guess watching for infection is the biggest danger.

These are nasty things!

Kate Smith
👍

Mon 30 May 2011, 15:54

Blandford Fly Trivia

According to the Badger Brewery, based in Blandford St Mary, the local folklore is that zingibain, a proteolytic1enzyme present in ginger, can help reduce the fever and swelling that accompanies the bite of the Blandford Fly2. This has inspired them to incorporate it into an ale called Blandford Fly.

The Blandford Fly appeared as an eco-terrorist weapon in a little-known mystery novel by John Sherwood called Creeping Jenny (1993). The plotters were planning on releasing swarms of the fly during the Queen's visit to the Chelsea Flower Show.

Kat Patrick
👍

Sun 29 May 2011, 22:28

Thanks, Chaps. Blandford fly sounds like the culprit.

John Munro
👍

Sun 29 May 2011, 17:24

Did you notice whether there was a small spot of blood on your calf. I have been got at by the Blandford Fly for two years running no and you don't notice when it is happening - no bite or sting, just spots of blood where they have been. It turns into the nasty itchy bite a few hours later and stays with you for a few days.....

Carol A Hughes
👍

Sun 29 May 2011, 15:45

hi, sorry to hear about your bite, has it blistered, my husband suffered a bite last year, started as nothing didn`t feel a thing but very soon became a blister the size of the top of a teacup,got infected so had to go to docs(reluctantly)I agree with John Lanyon, we were told it was a blandford fly, so keep an eye on it and seek medical help if it turns nasty, other friends have had a similar experience...good luck

Kat Patrick
👍

Sun 29 May 2011, 15:28

Thanks, Tim, but I'm still flummoxed (sp?). I didn't feel the bite, so I guess it isn't a horsefly, and all the others, I know what they're like.

Anyway, very kind of you to link to that article. The advice is probably true regardless what bit me.

John Lanyon
👍

Sun 29 May 2011, 15:24

If it's May it's very likely to be the Blandford fly.

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Sun 29 May 2011, 15:21

Just seen this article in the mail online may be worth a look

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1391834/Bug-attack-Our-experts-guide-taking-sting-bitten.html

Kat Patrick
👍

Sun 29 May 2011, 15:11

I've got a nasty bug bite on my calf -- started off about the size of a ten pence piece yesterday morning, now the area around it is about the size of my hand, red, hot, and very itchy. I'm taking antihistimines and don't currently see a reason to waste a doctor's time about it, but just wanted to ask if anyone knew what it might be. I heard from a couple of other people recently, including someone who's had builders in who were complaining about similar big bites when digging in the garden, that this seems to be an unusual phenomenon right now (extra dry weather?). I was digging in my own garden on Friday and think it's related.

Ideas of the culprit?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.