Website wishlist

Tony Graeme
👍

Mon 30 May 2011, 16:52

I (and others I'm sure) have a number of pictures of the current work on the railway. Can I suggest a section added to the gallery to record this historic event?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 25 May 2011, 11:38

Would be very happy to do that if the Corner House/Memorial Hall are willing.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Wed 25 May 2011, 09:27

It would be invaluable to have the bookings diary for the Corner House and Memorial Hall shown here.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 18 May 2011, 20:16

I've just added the ability to edit your own forum posts; you should see a little 'Edit' link to the left of each one. Once you've edited a post, the date it was edited will show next to it, which seems to be standard behaviour for most web forums. Let me know if there are any issues with it.

More to come!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 16 May 2011, 13:44

I've moved Derek Collett's posting across to the Admin board as he raised a policy issue and this is expressly a thread for asking about website features.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sat 14 May 2011, 10:44

As far as visitor information goes, you'll find some at www.evenlodebooks.co.uk/visit-charlbury I'm always happy to add to what's there and update it.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 13 May 2011, 14:55

Re-write the website in Python or Java so I can understand it ;-

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 13 May 2011, 13:43

Agree with the suggestion of 1 hr after posting being allowed to edit or delete one's own forum contribution -- as on the Chippy forum which comes up with a box that says how long there is remaining for amendments to be made. They also have a better way of previewing posts which makes typos less likely.

Richard, thanks for all of this & also for helping to keep Charlbury thriving & civil!

Graham Chamberlain
👍

Fri 13 May 2011, 13:03

Being able to view Photo Gallery collections as a slide show would be really great.

There are some great photos in the Gallery but it is so frustrating to have to have to go back to the collection after each individual photo.

Andrew Chapman
👍

Fri 13 May 2011, 11:35

(Just to clarify, I meant the option to edit forum posts. I suppose you could have a time limit on that - eg within a hour - to allow corrections to typos etc but avoiding allowing people to rewrite history, but maybe that's gilding the lily.)

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 13 May 2011, 11:20

Thanks for all the suggestions so far - keep them coming!

Tony: you should be able to do that already; when you're logged in, you can click an 'Edit' link by the individual news, events and adverts that you've posted. The change goes through the approval system as usual but we're usually fairly quick at letting them through, I hope.

Tony Graeme
👍

Fri 13 May 2011, 11:07

I agree with Andrew about the desirability of being able to amend or edit (say) an item on the events list or news. It can be a nuisance to rewrite the whole text (and possibly upload a picture again) just for a simple amendment or correction. I realise this would open up the possibliity of abuse after entries have been vetted by the Site Admin but most users would, one hopes, use the system responsibly. Of course any change should not apply to the Forum where comments should only be altered or corected by a further post.
Tony

Alison Wright
👍

Fri 13 May 2011, 10:58

The Cornbury Park website has a page with suggestions for local accomodation: www.cornburypark.co.uk/accommodation_guide.php
But I agree that a visitor guide on this website would be helpful as well.

Lesley Algar
👍

Fri 13 May 2011, 09:19

It would be great to get emails when someone has responded to you on the Charlbury website. As a lot of the time I don't know I've received messages until I log back in.

Andrew Chapman
👍

Fri 13 May 2011, 08:36

Being able to search, and to edit one's own posts, would be good. As an aside, it's a great community site and one of the best I've come across. Even if you do write it in Perl ;)

Simon Walker
👍

Fri 13 May 2011, 08:25

A separate page to give visitors some information about the town's facilities - accommodation, where to get a pint/cup of tea, links to the individual shop listings, that sort of thing. Having just looked at the Rally Show website, none of the local hotels/pubs was listed - the 'official' hotel is at Hopcrofts Holt, and they listed a bunch of hotels in Woodstock. Not even an mention that Charlbury can offer accommodation and other visitor-orientated things. OK - for all I know the Bell and Bull may have already been booked up for the event, but at least an acknowledgement of their existence would have been helpful.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Thu 12 May 2011, 23:37

Ability to see your private email postings to other users to maintain an thread and keep track of what you said. At the moment what one gets is only one's inbox with no copy of what you said to them which can make keeping track of a private conversation difficult.

Hard work is appreciated Richard in maintaining and enhancing the website keep it up!

Helen Holwill
👍

Thu 12 May 2011, 20:51

I was wondering about a specific area for lift sharing posts.

John Munro
👍

Thu 12 May 2011, 20:06

Richard
Some sort of search facility would be good, where you could type in key words and pull up all references there are on the website...

russell robson
👍

Thu 12 May 2011, 19:46

Could we have some singing and dancing?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 12 May 2011, 19:37

I'm working on a bunch of improvements to the website at the moment, and it seems like an opportune point to ask if there's anything that the website doesn't do - but you wish it did!

There might be something that's always annoyed you, something you've tried to find and isn't here, something you've seen on other similar websites and thought "we should have one of those", or something your community group could really do with... as long as it's potentially Charlbury-related, it's fair game.

I can't promise everything or indeed anything will necessarily happen, but do post here or send me a message.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.