Quiz question 2

Dave Gamble
👍

Wed 26 Jan 2011, 19:53

Roger, I am so glad that gifts was the correct answer!
Sorry you didn't win a prize but don't hesitate to ask for help in the future!

Roger Ford
👍

Wed 26 Jan 2011, 17:09

The answers were 'Gifts' for the 'rearrange' clue & 'Sherry trifle' for the alcohol clue.
We were given half a point for just 'Trifle' but we also had three other answers wrong, so no prize won.
Thank you all again.

Derek Collett
👍

Thu 13 Jan 2011, 19:21

That sounds like the best policy Roger - good luck with it.

Roger Ford
👍

Thu 13 Jan 2011, 17:36

Dave & Derek,
I think we are going with 'Gifts' for the 'rearrange' clue and 'Trifle' for the alcohol clue.
I will post the answer as soon as we receive the result.
Thank you for all your effort.

Derek Collett
👍

Thu 13 Jan 2011, 15:10

It is a good answer and unless anyone comes up with something better I think you should go with Dave's "gifts". However, I'm not sure where the extra "g" comes from unless "add one" just means add any another letter (and not "i" or "a"). It would break the rules of crosswords but they are not unbreakable!

Dave Gamble
👍

Thu 13 Jan 2011, 14:49

Roger, this is the first time I've used the Forum for over three years and I get involved in a 'brain racking' session!
Let us know when you have the correct answer and put us out of our misery! Good luck.

Roger Ford
👍

Thu 13 Jan 2011, 14:05

Dave,
Yes it could, very good answer, thank you.

Dave Gamble
👍

Thu 13 Jan 2011, 13:13

If Derek thinks it could be an anagram of a word meaning 'to sort through' plus a letter, could it be SIFT plus a G and you have gifts.

Roger Ford
👍

Thu 13 Jan 2011, 12:31

I suppose 'Rifle + one' could equal 'filler', which may leave 'crumb' as the answer to the original question about the alcohol.

I am grateful for the attention be given to this quiz question and we will decide on the answer to use at the last minute.

Derek Collett
👍

Thu 13 Jan 2011, 12:15

Nice try Janet but I can't quite see it myself.

Confess I'm pretty much stuck on this one. I still think it is likely to be an anagram of a word meaning "to sort through" with the letter "i" (or possibly "a") tacked on the end to give a Christmassy word but nothing convincing has sprung to mind yet. I'll keep on trying...

Janet Sly
👍

Wed 12 Jan 2011, 22:30

What about filler as in stocking filler?

Derek Collett
👍

Wed 12 Jan 2011, 17:34

I've just noticed that if you rearrange the letters "to sort" and then add one (i.e. the letter "i") you can make the word "risotto". However, that's not very Christmassy and it would also mean that the word "through" in the clue was redundant so I'll keep trying. I'm not beaten yet...

By the way, I don't think that "rifle" is correct for "to sort" because that generally means to rummage through something ("I quickly rifled through some papers on my desk") whereas "to sort" generally means to make more tidy, i.e. to group or classify.

Roger Ford
👍

Wed 12 Jan 2011, 16:19

Dave, If you start with 'tidying' you then have to add a letter rather than take one away, but please keep trying.

Dave Gamble
👍

Wed 12 Jan 2011, 15:47

If you rearrange or sort through something you are perhaps tidying.
Tiding, as in 'Tidings of comfort & joy.' Add one (letter) you have Tidying. Maybe it's the air here in Lancashire that has befuddled my head.
Befuddled-(stupefied by alcoholic drink;)-last nights' wine!!

Roger Ford
👍

Wed 12 Jan 2011, 14:35

Derek, thanks for your effort and sorry, no we don't know how many letters there are.
Dave, can't quite get my head around that one, but please keep trying.

Dave Gamble
👍

Wed 12 Jan 2011, 14:13

Could it have something to do with tiding as in, rearrange, sort through-tidying? Adding one letter. Just a thought!

Derek Collett
👍

Wed 12 Jan 2011, 14:10

I'm still working on it when time allows Roger and hope to come up with an answer before too much longer. Any idea how many letters it is?

Roger Ford
👍

Wed 12 Jan 2011, 11:32

Dave,
Thank you for the suggestion anyway.
I think we are now looking for an answer to 'Rearrange to sort through then add one' following Derek's crossword logic, which we we had overlooked.
Only three days left before the answers have to be sent in, however.

Dave Gamble
👍

Wed 12 Jan 2011, 10:45

Ignore my answer, I'd forgotten about the Christmas connection.
That will teach me to try to solve clues after drinking a few glasses of wine!

Dave Gamble
👍

Tue 11 Jan 2011, 22:06

Roger, could the answer be cRUMb?

Derek Collett
👍

Mon 10 Jan 2011, 18:04

If one applies crossword logic then your answer doesn't work I'm afraid. "Add one" in crosswords always means adds the letter i (because it looks like the number one). Also, you have not rearranged the letters of "rifle" - they are still in the same order. So what you are looking for is an anagram of "rifle" (or some other five-letter meaning "to sort") with the letter i stuck on the end. Can't see it at the moment - can someone else help while I go back to my work?!

Roger Ford
👍

Mon 10 Jan 2011, 17:08

I think we may use 'Trifle' for the original question, which means we need another answer for 'Rearrange to sort through then add one'
Any ideas?

Roger Ford
👍

Mon 10 Jan 2011, 16:46

Derek,
'Trifle' is good but we have already used it for 'Rearrange to sort through then add one' (ie rifle + t)
'Tiny tots' is also good Kate, but as you say not especially for Christmas.
Thank you both for your suggestions.
Any other answers anyone?

Kate Smith
👍

Mon 10 Jan 2011, 14:48

"Tiny tots"? - though really they're for life not just for Christmas...

Derek Collett
👍

Mon 10 Jan 2011, 13:38

"Trifle" perhaps?

Roger Ford
👍

Sun 9 Jan 2011, 10:56

The answers to this quiz are 'Christmas Connections'

1) eg. Seasonal fir = Christmas tree
2) eg. Can and trade = Tinsel

The clue is 'A small amount with alcohol'

Once again this is the last answer required to complete a charity quiz.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.