Enstone Road/Slade/Nine Acres Junction

russell robson
👍

Thu 6 Jan 2011, 15:55

Try this?

www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/learner_drivers/driving_and_safety_tutorials/crossroads.html

Diana Limburg
👍

Thu 6 Jan 2011, 15:53

At that junction I think it is related to the fact that coming from the Slade you can't really see what's coming from the right (direction Enstone). Those that are waiting opposite can see what's coming, so they are helping you by indicating it is safe to cross/turn. More than politeness - good road sense! Would of course be better if the layout of the junction/crossing wasn's so awful. Not just for cars, also for pedestrians. But I think that's been discussed at length before....

Birgit den Outer
👍

Thu 6 Jan 2011, 13:50

Who else is confused by this junction? Or is this perhaps a case of English ad hoc politeness lost in translation to a resident from the rule-obsessed Netherlands? I have noticed that when approaching this junction coming from the Slade, people on the other side waiting to cross, more often than not let me go first to turn right towards Enstone. This surprises me because I was always taught that the car doing the shortest corner has right of way. Of course, if letting me go first is just politeness, I am a grateful as it is a tricky corner. However, today when I was the one coming from Nine Acres and not letting the car waiting go first (sticking-to-rules Dutchie that I am), I nearly had an accident because the car was now ?demanding? I would let him go first. I have asked both English and Dutch people about ?native? road etiquette in relation to this junction but not received a satisfactory reply. Anyone who reads the forum any ideas?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.