Cornbury Park application

Simon Hogg
👍

Sat 1 Jan 2011, 17:47

Pierre-Joseph Proudhon said in his work 'What Is Property?: or, An Inquiry into the Principle of Right and of Government' that property is theft. You may have concerns about an oligarch, but that is what we already have in the UK, a system of oligarchs based on an outdated feudal system, that are still not elected. Surely such an estate as Cornbury (there are many others too) could be run as a co-operative to benefit all towns/villages that surround it. That way we, the people, could decide on how the land and property is best used.

Jean Adams
👍

Mon 27 Dec 2010, 19:00 (last edited on Mon 30 Mar 2020, 15:52)

I have supported the planning application. My property is probably closest to the part of the Cornbury Estate where Festivals etc take place. I have never complained of noise and indeed since the stage was turned around some years ago for the Cornbury Festival could not even enjoy the music. I understand that Lord Rotherwick was advised by WODC to make the application in the manner that he did, rather than separate event applications.
As the recent Cornbury News shows there are events planned but none, at the moment, which exceed those in the past.
As a long time Friend of the Historic Houses Association I am very aware that the revenue from ‘events’ is very necessary to support the Historic Estate, and indeed I was involved in the largest petition, at the time, against the Wealth Tax which would have had a disastrous effect on our Historic Heritage, similarly would be the withdrawal of permission to stage outdoor events. Why do other Historic Properties have Wild Life Parks etc if not to maintain the fabric of the building and surrounding lands. We are fortunate that we live close to Cornbury Park with wonderful views and walks.
It should be carefully considered that if the family were forced to sell the Estate it might well be bought by some rich Oligarch, who would have no interest in Charlbury, and the impact of a less than desirable retinue. The house may then be left to rot and the grounds untended, as some have.
It should not be overlooked that the Events give employment to people in Charlbury, income to local businesses, fundraising opportunities for Charlbury schools and other local charities,to say nothing of the enjoyment of many of it’s residents.
There are also no traffic problems to my knowledge, as the main entrances are away from Charlbury centre one off the Witney Road. The management of the traffic seems exemplary as we have not suffered annoyance on the Fawler Road.
Jean Adams

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.