Current local road conditions.

david t walton
👍

Thu 23 Dec 2010, 21:14

Thank you all, for your helpful comments. A Merry Christmas to all in Charlbury from sunny Sydney Australia! Cheers!!

Caroline Shenton
👍

Thu 23 Dec 2010, 15:22

Yes Enstone road is ok for ordinary cars. Go slowly and keep within in the existing tracks and you should be ok.

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Thu 23 Dec 2010, 13:20

Snow plough just been through centre of Charlbury not to great effect it has to be said but appriciated im sure, unlike the person who has parked their car in the middle of the road since 9am just outside my shop, the larger cars / vans have to do a 3 point manouver to turn down Market st, 2 have already hit the stop signs so that it is facing the wrong way.

Hamish Nichol
👍

Thu 23 Dec 2010, 12:27

Charles: Roads passable in non-4x4 from Judds Garage through to Charlbury (Woodstock road). The worst part of the journey will be the last 100yds in the centre of Charlbury!

Charles Thechoose
👍

Thu 23 Dec 2010, 10:20

Can anyone suggest a viable route into the centre of Charlbury from the M40, and is Enstone Road passable to non 4x4s yet? Many thanks.

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 23 Dec 2010, 09:32

Although the main roads which are salted are driveable, many of the side roads & estate roads are not. Some (such as the Ditchley Rd) have been ploughed, others not. Many are quite lethal to walk along, & it would be quite understandable if a florist decided not to deliver to a particular address.

There are (as usual) particular problems with the higher areas of Charlbury & out of town. You do need to ask the florist concerned. The road to Witney is clear, but no buses are currently running between Charlbury & Chipping Norton due to the state of the roads. But I would expect a florist in Woodstock or Witney to be able to deliver to Stonesfield without too much difficulty, provided that your relatives are accessible from a main (or cleared) road.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Thu 23 Dec 2010, 08:54

I think it is more to do with will than way! My guess is that a Burford florist will deliver to Fullbrook, and a Woodstock or a Witney (or even Chippy) florist would probably deliver to Stonesfield and/or Charlbury (the roads are driveable). They may have to walk down a side road to the house. It's possible that an internet delivery service will use people with less local knowledge? You may have to lose some sleep making phone calls instead, but at least you'll talk to people who will say yes or no. Pity Charlbury lost both its florists not long ago!!

For what it's worth, I've been getting overnight deliveries of books from Eastbourne every day throughout the snow. Not Royal Mail, but TNT. A miraculous service.

david t walton
👍

Thu 23 Dec 2010, 04:48

Hello from sunny Australia (sorry!) and a Merry Christmas to all.
I have noted with interest the latest postings pertaining to the local road conditions.I normally arrange for the delivery of flowers to my relatives in the Charlbury area and am curious to know if the roads to Stonesfield, Fulbrook and Charlbury are sufficiently clear for a florist to make it through? Thanks for your help (in anticipation).

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.