How do you de-ice a satellite dish?

Steve Barnett
👍

Sun 2 Jan 2011, 16:36

Following on from Jon's snowballing activities, if we snowballed the village idiot......would his brain start working again??

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Wed 22 Dec 2010, 18:59

No upstairs window and could not reach. But thanks for the thought, Sharyn. HOWEVER, I had a sudden inspiration. I snowballed it. Direct hit, all channels back!

Thank you all for your various pieces of advice.

sharyn
👍

Wed 22 Dec 2010, 16:20

I had the same problem all i did was hang out the back bedroom window and throw jugs of hot water over it and it worked

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 21 Dec 2010, 21:57

Thanks for those, Charlotte: I'll work through those links. And bartering sounds an interesting possibility. Drop in!

Charlotte Penn
👍

Tue 21 Dec 2010, 21:29

Maybe something here could help?

helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-HD-Sky-3D/Snow-and-No-Satellite-Signal-Being-Received/m-p/14385
www.ukfree.tv/helpme.php?faqid=67149
www.ukfree.tv/helpme.php?faqid=1107051203
thetechangel.com/blogberry/2009/03/how-to-troubleshoot-a-sky-hd-box-reset-and-upgrade/

Jon, as funds are desperate, would you be willing to barter a dvd - for a delicious cake, brownies or biscuits?

Bartering is definitely the way forward in these times of monetary crisis.

Edward Fenton
👍

Tue 21 Dec 2010, 20:57

I looked on the internet, and there's something about replacing a cable.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 21 Dec 2010, 20:28

No it doesn't. Hey ho. But I've found I can watch Channel 4 (no signal) on Channel 4+1 (good signal) an hour later. Tuned to Eurobird and Astra but no BBC4 on there: bother. I still need a de-icing solution!!

Michael Flanagan
👍

Tue 21 Dec 2010, 19:55

"Are Sky saying that satellite dishes don't work when the temperature drops below freezing?"

Nowt as specific as that. There are times with any telephone "help"line you decide it's easier to adopt Plan B than try to get a straight answer.

Oddly, having decided this was Nature's way of getting us to read more, we've just found that today's sort-of thaw (it's been dripping all afternoon) has brought Freesat back on. Jon might find just turning the whole thing off and on again means BBC4's available again

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 21 Dec 2010, 19:49

Ahem. Declaration of interest here. From £4.99, a few cheaper than that. Come and see, Charlotte!

Re the ice. I've waited several days already. What thaw?! I'm suffering from BBC4 withdrawal symptoms. Are Sky saying that satellite dishes don't work when the temperature drops below freezing? I didn't see that in the Freesat bumf.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Tue 21 Dec 2010, 19:44

I'm sure there's some interesting books to read! How much are these low-cost classic dvds, by the by?

Michael Flanagan
👍

Tue 21 Dec 2010, 19:35

For what it's worth, Sky told us not to bother, but wait for the thaw.

Great opportunity to stock up on the remarkable range of low-cost classic dvd's on sale in Jon's emporium.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Tue 21 Dec 2010, 19:30

Hot water bottle? !

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 21 Dec 2010, 19:21

Google seems to come up with American brands of de-icer. Has anyone safely de-iced their dish without damaging it!? I've lost several channels. Help!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.