Blandford Flies

Wendy Bailey
👍 1

Wed 24 Apr, 15:26

Or invest in " Avon dry oil spray" use on any exposed skin. It seems the little bliters  don't like it. Iwas bitten on my collar bone and ankles and hadn't been near long grass water or ponds. I'm not an Avon rep, I got my spray from amazon. Convenient and delivered the next day. 

Kate Smith
👍 1

Mon 22 Apr, 13:25

It seems unlikely that they will carry out a similar control programme on the Evenlode (though I understand they did spray the Cherwell in the past because they discovered the Blandford fly bite can be deadly to cattle so it became almost commercially viable) so let's hope that the current influx of toxins from Thames water proves to be deadly to the Blandford larvae...

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Mon 22 Apr, 12:00

For those with garden ponds, I also recommend mosquito dunks and/or mosquito bits, available on amazon and e-bay.

• Dunks® (larvicide) utilize a naturally-occurring type of bacteria to control mosquitoes before they become flying, biting, potentially disease-carrying adults.

• Dunks® do not use chemicals to control mosquitoes.

• They are effective on mosquito and blackfly larvae, and have been recommended for use in backyard ponds or fountains where fish, frogs, tadpoles, and other aquatic animals live.

In Dorset the same biological control (bti) has been used to control the number of Blandford flies in the river Stour for the last 30 years: https://www.buglobalenvironmentalsolutions.co.uk/post/another-successful-blandford-fly-treatment-on-the-river-stour

Covering of ankles and bare flesh is still strongly advised! 

Elaine Kazimierczuk
👍 4

Mon 22 Apr, 11:29

Blandford Flies. Just a timely warning that these little black flies will soon be out looking for tasty ankles, etc. Worth covering up in long grass especially near water. The bite can be very unpleasant as I know to my cost.

https://www.oxfordhealth.nhs.uk/news/miu-update-patients-with-blandford-fly-bites/

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.