Likely scam ‘research study’ sent to Charlbury patients.

stephen cavell
👍 2

Wed 1 May, 08:32

Lost finger prints, unaccepted photo identification, AI voices, Patient Care Apps, But Hark - not a human voice. I amend my chosen epitaph "I told - Someone/Something - that I was ill"

Nikki Rycroft
👍

Tue 30 Apr, 17:19

Mine works fine Susie.

Maybe check your settings ? 

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Sun 28 Apr, 13:32

What has happened to the finger print access on the NHS App on the iPhone?  Used to be there but has now disappeared ?

stephen cavell
👍 2

Sun 28 Apr, 11:20 (last edited on Mon 29 Apr, 11:59)

I have just listened (accidentally, I was pottering around not concentrating) to Will Self on "In my Opinion" on Radio 4 "Me and my Medical Data"; now on BBC Sounds. He summarises his experience with 'patient care apps'. Reflects my feelings on this subject, pages of technical data but little human contact. 

Ah well it reinforces my chosen epitaph taken from the late (Great) Spike Milligan; "I told you I was ill" 

Alice Brander
👍 1

Thu 25 Apr, 08:23 (last edited on Thu 25 Apr, 09:09)

The surgery quite correctly needed my permission for access to my records so if you asked for online access they sent some instructions.  Which, sadly, I didn't keep.  

This was a few years ago now.  The surgery gave me a form that I completed and returned.  They sent me a Linkage Key, ODS Code & an Account ID which allowed me to set up an account with:

https://www.patientaccess.com

The NHS app came later and magically transferred from my online access which still exists I think.  I don't think a photo was involved and I can't see one on the record anywhere.  Good luck and don't give up!

stephen cavell
👍 1

Thu 25 Apr, 07:08

Nikki - me again. What is the difference between 'Patient Access' and the 'NHS App'?

I must be the millionth and one person person, the one who can't get the better of  the photographic requirements. "what a load of Malarky". What am I missing by not getting on to the App? 

I wonder if the millionth and 2/3/4/5.......patients are out there somwhere

Nikki Rycroft
👍

Mon 22 Apr, 15:49

This should help you……

https://digital.nhs.uk/services/nhs-login/nhs-login-for-health-and-care/getting-patients-started-with-nhs-login

Nikki Rycroft
👍

Mon 22 Apr, 15:42

Hi Stephen

It can be a bit tricky to set up the NHS App with photo identification, but millions of people use it. Have you tried Patient Access ? I understand it’s easy to set up. I think you just need your NHS number but I haven’t done  it for many years as I use the App. 
others will tell you!

stephen cavell
👍 2

Mon 22 Apr, 09:51

Alice, Nikki.  I have tried to register with NHS on line access. Despite assistance from a close family member who is IT literate I have failed on the photo identity. And I don't understand the list of possible reason that came back at me. I was convinced we had complied. I give up.

Nikki Rycroft
👍 2

Thu 18 Apr, 15:09 (last edited on Thu 18 Apr, 15:09)

Hi All

We’ve now had a conversation with the managers and advanced paramedic at CMC to clarify the issues concerning you.

The text and wording regarding the recent stomach bug research project came from the trial originator, not the CMC, and the research lead is gradually rolling it out to all eligible patients. If you do not wish to take part, delete the text, but please do not phone the CMC to ask about it as the number of calls is taking up valuable reception time. It is unlikely that you will be contacted about other research projects for some time.

The staff have worked hard to bring the waiting time for appointments down to a few days , the current reception team have undergone extensive training on signposting requests for appointments to the correct person. A request for an urgent appointment is always assessed by a GP or the paramedic at whatever time the call comes in. 
The duty GP or the paramedic check and code between 50 and 200 test results a day. If you have had a test because of symptoms and the clinician has arranged to review you, please book an appointment as agreed with them. Understandably you will not be contacted if the results of routine tests are normal, and the results can be viewed on the NHS App, or through Patient Access. Patients not using these can phone the Practice, but no contact from the practice after a normal test result should reassure you and clearly  it is impossible for them to phone up to 200 patients a day. 

The patient group are meeting regularly with members of the Practice to answer your concerns.  Further information is always available through charlburypatientgroup@gmail.com

Alice Brander
👍 1

Mon 15 Apr, 09:55

Thank you Stephen, that is helpful for us all.  On the plus side, if you are able to use the NHS online access and ask for full access to your record then you can see all test results promptly.  If your result falls within the normal range then they don't contact you, that is correct.

However, you get a full list of the tests done and the result.  So you are able to look up what the test means, if like me you have no idea, and you can see where your result fits within the normal range.  I've found that gives me far more information than I've ever had before.  So, one step forward, one step back.  There needs to be a marker on patient records to show who doesn't have access.

stephen cavell
👍 10

Sun 14 Apr, 11:54

This thread illustrates the discussion I have been having with CMC. I'm quite happy with the service I get BUT communication is not good enough. In particular the nil response they rely on if a test result is OK. Not hearing anything is not reassuring. I have joined the CMC Patients Participation Group so hope I can make a contribution thro' them. I have also been confused by what is a generic survey request and what is a personal message.

Nikki Rycroft
👍 2

Sat 13 Apr, 18:24

We are addressing the communication from the CMC about requests to take part in research very shortly.  As others have said this was a genuine text , but understandably it has caused confusion and some doubt.

CMC patients would be alerted to this sort of issue if they joined the virtual Patient Group by emailing charlburypatientgroup@gmail.com

Abigail sloan
👍 2

Fri 12 Apr, 13:25

I also got this as an email, and was unsure as noone in my family had had it. After going through my messages I have received messages from the Surgery regarding vaccinations before. The name that comes up on my texts from the actual Surgery reads CharlburyMC and the scam name reads GPSurgery. 

I think it's still always good practice if you ever receive a message or email from the bank, doctors, dentist or health providers just to call them to make sure  

Christopher Tatton
👍 1

Fri 12 Apr, 13:18

I also understand that it is not a scam, but medical research. I was seen by a medical practitioner last Wednesday at the Charlbury Medical Centre with a suspected serious gastrointestinal infection. I was offered excellent advice regarding my health issue and asked if I would also participate in this valuable piece of medical research.

Alice Brander
👍 5

Fri 12 Apr, 11:21 (last edited on Fri 12 Apr, 11:40)

You are talking about the 'National Institute for Health & Care Research' national study  - The Third Infectious Intestinal Disease Study (iid3) in the UK

https://bepartofresearch.nihr.ac.uk/trial-details/trial-detail?trialId=24846&location=&distance=

If you haven't signed up with the surgery to volunteer to 'take part in research' then you probably shouldn't have received this invitation.  I signed up because I strongly support mass population health data studies as a way of protecting myself and hopefully helping future generations.

p.s. Location doesn't seem to matter.  You make a response once a week on your app and if you've had a bug they send you a test kit to find out what bug.  A good idea when you can't trust water companies or food import controls.

Angus B
👍 3

Fri 12 Apr, 10:45 (last edited on Fri 12 Apr, 10:46)

I’ve just visited the medical centre where Ben, the paramedic. asked me to put this message on The Forum as he’s had to answer many phone calls:

It is definitely NOT a scam; it is a genuine invitation to take part in research! 

NADINE MILLS
👍 3

Fri 12 Apr, 08:53

My husband and I both received the text and deleted it.

Angus B
👍 2

Thu 11 Apr, 22:59

I received the email and clicked the link but decided not to proceed with the survey. When my bank addresses me with, “Hi Angus” it doesn’t surprise me when anyone else does!

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Thu 11 Apr, 22:02

Still very puzzling as to why it was sent from CMC.

When you look on the web, they say they want feedback for the bowel study from Scotland, Wales and various places in the north of England.

I didn't get the text, so it didn't go to everyone enrolled with CMC. 

Rosemary Bennett
👍 3

Thu 11 Apr, 20:41

Yes, I assumed it was a scam and deleted it.

If it’s genuine, Emily, I would still be extremely suspicious of any organisation presenting itself so pathetically.

Alison Nicholls
👍 5

Thu 11 Apr, 20:36

That is fairly reassuring but ‘ Hi Alison’, is a pretty informal approach to a potential medical research participant ! I would be surprised if many people risked clicking on the link. No one in my family did.

Emily Algar
👍 1

Thu 11 Apr, 19:33

I received the text last week and it's genuine. It looks the research is being collected using the PeopleinResearch app, which is a genuine company if you google it. 

If you've signed up to be considered to be part of research with the CMC, you will get these messages.

Most scams will ask for money, not medical details. 

Alison Nicholls
👍 3

Thu 11 Apr, 18:57

There is a very scam like message purporting to be from Charlbury Medical Centre, it appears to be going to their patients. It asks for research participants for a bowel study and gives a very suspicious link. The message was sent just after the Health Centre closed this evening making direct verification with the Health Centre impossible tonight.

Any thoughts? I am really concerned to see the Medical Centre’s patients contacted in this way. It gives the appearance of having come from GP Surgery in my address book, I have no such address in my list.

3 of my family who are registered  at Charlbury received the message, the one who is registered at Chipping Norton didn’t.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.