Geese skeins honk in flight in middle of night! A portent?

Christine Battersby
👍 3

Mon 8 Apr, 20:38

I believe it quite normal for geese which come to the UK for winter food to migrate north to their breeding grounds in Greenland, Siberia etc in April, May or early June. 

Quite a few stop over on the Blenheim lakes, also on Otmoor, Farmoor, Rushy Common, Tar Lakes, Standlake Common etc. on their way north from the south of England and the Isle of Wight. The wind was very strong the last few nights, so their flight path was likely affected by the winds. 

Perhaps greylag  geese, a large flock was recorded at Blenheim on April 5th. Photo here: https://www.goingbirding.co.uk/oxon/species.asp?species_id=107

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Mon 8 Apr, 17:12

Did anyone else hear the skeins of Geese passing over Charlbury in the middle of the night before dawn? I was awake listening to an audiobook - as injuries provoke much insomnia and definitely wasn't dozing or in a half-dream. Took me back to childhood in Southern Ontario in the…

Long post - click to read full text

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.