DC is back - surely this is a wind up! (Debate)

Carl A Perkins
👍 1

Mon 27 Nov 2023, 10:51

Article from the Independent:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/david-cameron-chipping-norton-locals-b2451101.html

Rod Evans
👍 2

Wed 22 Nov 2023, 10:30

This I could not resist, Andrew Rawnsley in The Observer: 'George Osbourne and other chums of David Cameron say he is purely motivated by a burning yearning to return to "public service."   If you believe that I am in the fortunate position of being able to sell you a miracle potion that guarantees eternal life'.

Matthew Greenfield
👍 2

Mon 20 Nov 2023, 21:31

Funny sketch from John Crace today which included this excerpt:

"Meanwhile in the Lords, one man was fulfilling his destiny. It was written in the stars that David Cameron would become Lord Big Dave and now that time had come. It’s Chipping Norton I mostly feel sorry for. The village has a bad enough rep as the epicentre for twats and now Lord Big Dave has annexed it for his title. Chipping Norton will never recover. The shame."

"But Lord Big Dave looked perfectly at home in his new surroundings. Puffed up and plump in ermine. Just another perfectly normal day. When a former prime minister who had put the country through austerity and had carelessly inflicted the trauma of Brexit before running off to cash in with some dodgy lobbying was rewarded with a peerage."

"Honoured for dishonour. Unbelievably, he is now our foreign secretary..."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/nov/20/if-rishi-sunak-makes-a-speech-and-no-one-is-there-to-hear-it-has-he-made-a-speech

He will probably get negative feedback for calling Chipping Norton a village - or is that just in Charlbury? By "twats" he is of course referring to what used to be called the Chipping Norton Set who don't actually live in the town. Full list of the Set is on Wikipedia...

Christine Battersby
👍 4

Sat 18 Nov 2023, 16:24

Today's Guardian article on DC, Dean, Diddly Squat and Chipping Norton: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/nov/18/unfinished-business-cosy-world-lord-david-cameron-chipping-norton

Makes a few mistakes (e.g. Poshstock identified with Cornbury Festival at Great Tew, rather than Wilderness) and misses several interesting background facts (e.g. Lord Chadlington's links to Greensill and a proposed China Investment Fund). But worth reading nevertheless.

Christine Battersby
👍 4

Fri 17 Nov 2023, 16:27

I expect Jeremy Clarkson wants to reserve Lord Clarkson of Diddly Squat for himself -- no lack of ambition there. 

Peter Gummer is Lord Chadlington of Dean, so had grabbed the two most obvious local places for DC to add to his title. 

I doubt that the residents of Chipping Norton (where Labour is the dominant party in town and district elections) are pleased with Cameron's choice! 

Matthew Greenfield
👍 3

Fri 17 Nov 2023, 14:38

The wind up continues with confirmation that he will be "The Rt Hon the Lord Cameron of Chipping Norton” - I much preferred Rob's suggestion of Lord Dave of Diddly Squat!

Melissa Midgen
👍 8

Thu 16 Nov 2023, 16:21

Please point out one example of abuse in the thread below - all I see is perfectly reasonable (and, in my view, entirely justified), albeit strongly worded, comment. 

Nicolette lethbridge
👍 1

Thu 16 Nov 2023, 16:14

Alan . I don't know why you want them moved to " Debate" since they are not a debate but just abuse.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 5

Wed 15 Nov 2023, 00:25

Depressing, probably the most depressing thought, is that Cameron is possibly the best of the immediate candidates for the Foreign Secretary post than anyone else amongst the potential "upper levels" of the Tory Party.

Unless (and that's probable too, not been keeping up-to-date with politics) I don't know of anyone else amongst the lower ranks of the Junior Ministers...

Gareth Epps
👍 4

Tue 14 Nov 2023, 22:08

This is more sophisticated than much of the current political dialogue among and from ex-Ministers, some of which really could be called cheap.

Alan Wilson
👍 7

Tue 14 Nov 2023, 21:28

Is it just me who thinks that cheap political digs should be in the Debate forum?

Matthew Greenfield
👍 3

Tue 14 Nov 2023, 14:22

As well as being a Lord for life now, as Foreign Secretary he gets the use of Chevening: a grace-and-favour, 115 room mansion in Kent. I think this is called failing upwards!

(It is the same house in which Liz Truss managed to rack up a personal £12,000 bill for, among other things, stealing bathrobes!)

Rob Stepney
👍 13

Tue 14 Nov 2023, 12:36

If DC is looking for somewhere to locate his title, Lord Cameron of Diddly Squat is being suggested in Chadlington. 

Michael Flanagan
👍 2

Tue 14 Nov 2023, 09:55

Peter Chadlington was appointed a Life Peer in 1996. The title - and the right to sit in the House of Lords - is not hereditary.  However his children (but none of their descendants) do have the right to call themselves "Honourable"

What anyone else chooses to call him and his children is entirely up to them.

David Cameron does have a house in Dean. He also has houses in Cornwall and Notting Hill. As a peer, he will formally represent no-one, and will lose his right to vote in national elections for whichever UK constituency he's voted in since he retired from Parliament.

Both Chadlington and Cameron - like Marlborough and any other peers in the area - retain the right to vote in local elections. 

stephen cavell
👍 11

Tue 14 Nov 2023, 08:58

Will the Dean Pit be reopened to take all this trash???

Christopher Tatton
👍 9

Tue 14 Nov 2023, 08:40

An unelected PM and now an unelected Foreign Secretary. How positively 18th Century. 😂

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Tue 14 Nov 2023, 08:33

Charlie, The story about DC and pigs is probably not true. DC denies it in his autobiography. And it looks as if it should be credited to another Charlbury resident: Isabel Oakeshott -- of the Matt Hancock Diaries, GB news and now also Reform UK fame -- who co-authored the unauthorised Cameron biography, Call me Dave.

In 2015 at the Cheltenham Literary Festival, Oakeshott indicated that the story should be treated a light-hearted way, since it was based on information provided by an MP who was probably "somewhat deranged".

There are going to be rather a lot of Barons in the Chadlington and Dean neighbourhood, given that Lord Chadlington (Peter Gummer) is DC's neighbour and good friend. I'm not sure whether the current owner of The Bull (Hon. James Gummer) would become Baron Chadlington after his father's death. I presume so ..

Graham Wisker
👍 3

Tue 14 Nov 2023, 08:09

Was there any problem when Lord Peter Mandelson came back into the Labour Government? 

Charlie M
👍 3

Tue 14 Nov 2023, 05:22

I hope that someone has sent out a warning to all the nation's pigs ...

Alex Flynn
👍

Mon 13 Nov 2023, 21:54

Technically he lives in Dean does he not?

Alex Flynn
👍 1

Mon 13 Nov 2023, 21:52

Which constituency is Lord Cameron going to represent? They are literally making up the rules to suit themselves!

You normally have to be voted in to a constituency

Andrew Chapman
👍 4

Mon 13 Nov 2023, 19:34

Let’s hope he’s not Lord C of Charlbury.

Tony Morgan
👍 1

Mon 13 Nov 2023, 19:18

Allardyce has saved 4 clubs from relegation!

Christine Battersby
👍 4

Mon 13 Nov 2023, 18:38

And Esther McVey has just been appointed the minister for common sense.

You couldn't make it up! 

Gareth Epps
👍 2

Mon 13 Nov 2023, 18:32 (last edited on Mon 13 Nov 2023, 18:34)

The “local Labour leader” who put the Tories in charge in Cherwell…..

It’s a bit like the football club, staring relegation in the face, that calls for Sam Allardyce to strengthen the staff.

Liz Puttick
👍 1

Mon 13 Nov 2023, 18:17

Local labour leader not impressed former PM back in government

Colin Critch
(site admin)
👍 3

Mon 13 Nov 2023, 17:22

You could make it up, but no one would believe it!

Alex Flynn
👍 3

Mon 13 Nov 2023, 16:28

We are now being run by the unelected Lord Cameron and Rishi Sunak. Call the election!

Matt Bullock
👍 10

Mon 13 Nov 2023, 14:09

Says a lot about the 350+ Tory MPs that Sunak doesn't consider them good enough for a key cabinet role...

Alex Flynn
👍

Mon 13 Nov 2023, 14:09 (last edited on Mon 13 Nov 2023, 16:33)

It really is a clown show. They will find an excuse not to call an election next! They've already made it harder to vote!  The truth is they don't appear to want younger people to vote - so many continue to have more interest in social media and video games than the news!

Matthew Greenfield
👍 17

Mon 13 Nov 2023, 14:00

Great! Call a referendum, lose, resign, leave others to deal with the still ongoing mess, do a bit of dodgy lobbying (Greensill scandal) and end up with cushy job flying first class around the world being important. Local lad done well!

Katie Ewer
👍 6

Mon 13 Nov 2023, 13:32

He's not even an elected MP anymore FFS! Some democracy....

Alex Flynn
👍 1

Mon 13 Nov 2023, 12:26 (last edited on Mon 13 Nov 2023, 12:27)

I wondered why he was hanging around again! 

Alex Flynn
👍

Mon 13 Nov 2023, 12:24

You can't make it up!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-67370421

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.