Our delightful neighbour and local publican's husband ... (Debate)

Melissa Midgen
👍 10

Sat 30 Sep 2023, 19:06

But, you know, as long as The Bell got refurbished ....

Melissa Midgen
👍 5

Sat 30 Sep 2023, 19:05

Gareth Epps
👍 6

Fri 29 Sep 2023, 17:57

A ginger beer is reportedly a fiver at the Bell.  What would they charge if tax was included?

Christine Battersby
👍 5

Fri 29 Sep 2023, 12:42

Charlie: unfortunately Chloe's on Market Street does not provide disabled access to a loo. Out the back in the garden, and up some quite difficult steps. And there was also the need to step over the base of a wooden door, at least on the day when I decided that I wouldn't be able to eat there. 

Actually rather odd, given that having access to a disabled loo is a legal requirement for restaurants and pubs providing food. For businesses that have been established for more than 10 years there is a get-out clause, but I am not sure that this applies when a new conversion to an old building has been made. I am pleased that Chloe's is there, and seems to be doing well. But for me it's a real disappointment. My disability is temporary (I hope), but I will find it hard to recommend Chloe's to visiting friends. 

Whatever one thinks about the Bamfords (and I am certainly no admirer of their circle of friends), they have had the money to convert The Bell in ways that benefit locals, including those with mobility problems. 

I am looking forward to the opening of the other new restaurant in Market St (in the old Post Office), and am hoping for a better design! After all, The Bull is also problematic for those with walking difficulties, at least if one wishes to sit out in the garden (accessible only via some steep steps). 

Charlie M
👍 2

Thu 28 Sep 2023, 18:48 (last edited on Thu 28 Sep 2023, 18:49)

Gammon - in my understanding - refers to the holier-than-thou rosy-faced complexion characteristic of our amoeba of an MP, his ghastly predecessor, and many others like them, when attempting to sound "indignant" about something. 

It is not a term of disrespect ... rather a term of derision, appropriate in both cases, in my opinion.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Thu 28 Sep 2023, 17:30

I've heard mention of new bit of slang - "gammon" - over the last year or so, but don't really know what younger people mean by it... I simply don't "do" social meeja. 

But it came into my mind when you said look at the photograph. Anyone able to enlighten me why?

Hannen Beith
👍 2

Thu 28 Sep 2023, 13:40

The face says it all!

Charlie M
👍 3

Thu 28 Sep 2023, 10:56

All of which makes me feel that if I am taking someone to dinner, I will be trying out the new place along Market Street. 

Melissa Midgen
👍 10

Wed 27 Sep 2023, 20:49

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/sep/27/hmrc-investigating-tax-affairs-of-one-of-tory-party-largest-donors-anthony-bamford

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.