Second homes in Charlbury (Debate)

Harry Jones2
👍 4

Sun 10 Sep 2023, 14:51

The original post seems to discuss two very disconnected points.

Yes, the UK is no longer a Christian society. This is not new information, a tiny percentage of people under 60 bother with that, understandably so. Many church buildings are and will continue to make their way into general use, being converted into homes.

What that has to do with 2nd home ownership, is a heck of a tangent.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 2

Sat 9 Sep 2023, 11:19

Thought your rant was pretty good arktualee! 

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 8 Sep 2023, 15:37

I completely agree Mark.

I should have been more concise with my first post, but I'd been "needled" by a couple of second home owners, and the post descended into a rant!  Which, I suppose, is one of the purposes of the Debate section.

Still, some useful stuff has come out of it.

Hannen.

Mark Sulik
👍 1

Thu 7 Sep 2023, 18:34 (last edited on Thu 7 Sep 2023, 20:35)

Land and or second homes - this post is confusing as the ownership of land and referenced of 1066 , unlikely to alter much 

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Thu 7 Sep 2023, 13:51

Many thanks to Rod and Richard for their excellent advice.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 2

Thu 7 Sep 2023, 11:52

https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/prowd is a useful way of finding out the extents of landholdings around here – type ‘Charlbury’ into the search box and see what you find…

Rod Evans
👍 8

Wed 6 Sep 2023, 17:57

If you're interested in who owns the land, try Guy Shrubsole's 'Who owns England?'.  Despite our alleged 'property owning democracy', huge amounts of land are still owned by a few institutions (inc the Crown & C of E) and of course the wealthy, new and old - and it's been thus since at least 1066!

Not sure the TC can help much on second homes Hannen - but as Randy Newman observed - in a song partly addressed to Karl Marx - 'The world isn't fair, It isn't and never will be..'  But a change of government would be a good place to start eh?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 1

Mon 4 Sep 2023, 11:08 (last edited on Mon 4 Sep 2023, 12:03)

The Church might own a lot of land in the UK but it doesn’t in Charlbury – only the church and graveyard itself, the vicarage (the modern one not the old one), and the lovely ridge-and-furrow field behind the cemetery known as Glebelands, as far as I know.

Alice Brander
👍 1

Sun 3 Sep 2023, 20:48

Council tax services used to collect information on 2nd homes because the owners would apply for the 2nd home discount.  But that doesn't exist anymore so maybe nobody knows how many there are?  

The last census data also showed that the majority no longer identified as Christian.  Can we just appropriate church assets though?  I know it's been done before but on that occasion all the wealth transferred to the crown.  Wouldn't that be the same situation today?  

Hannen Beith
👍 2

Sun 3 Sep 2023, 14:17 (last edited on Sun 3 Sep 2023, 15:58)

Interesting to read that the majority of clergy think that the UK is no longer a Christian society, although I haven't drilled down into the survey

The Church of England owns a significant amount of land in the UK, but the exact amount is difficult to determine due to the…

Long post - click to read full text

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.