OUR TOWNS' KIDS' SCHOOLS - RAAC METHOD COLLAPSE DANGER?! (Debate)

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 1 Sep 2023, 23:48

Thanks lesser Spotted Lizae. ... <Phew> ... but seen major corruption in the "trade" a lot... of times

Gareth Epps
👍 4

Fri 1 Sep 2023, 14:33

The school has just confirmed it is not affected.  “We just wanted to confirm, in the light of the news and RAAC in schools, that Charlbury was inspected and we do not have any concerns with our buildings.”

Liz Leffman
👍 4

Fri 1 Sep 2023, 10:44 (last edited on Fri 1 Sep 2023, 10:46)

There are two schools in Oxfordshire which are affected, both near Wantage.  None in this area.

christopher edeson
👍 8

Thu 31 Aug 2023, 18:42 (last edited on Thu 31 Aug 2023, 18:44)

not sure this is the place for this when its not even oxfordshire related

Liz Leffman
👍 4

Thu 31 Aug 2023, 15:59

Right now I am not aware of any schools in Oxfordshire that are affected, but if I hear of any I will post on this thread

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Wed 30 Aug 2023, 22:36

Excuse me for daring to contradict a Moderator -- but HUNDREDS od schools are affected by this and threatened with closure as an emergency due to the potential of structural failure. THAT IS A LOCAL ISSUE IN CASE A LOCAL SCHOOL IS AFFECTED. WHAT ISN'T RELEVANT TO LOCAL PEOPLE?

I didn't mention that a long time ago I personally had witness to a major near-collapse of a school premises due to ... relationships ... which fortunately happened out of term during a "wet" snowfall. I could have gone into finger pointing detail of the ... interested parties. That was hushed up.

Just because I clearly post a link and, if one wants to scan down, the text is no excuse for censorship. No-one needs to read below the link.

And in case anyone hasn't noticed, my "past" means I know a lot about building, local authorities, officials and "going ons" that haven't been shared with any except the highest selected authorities. Not all us disabled and unwell old folks lack a past you know nothing about. Don't dare presume.

Huw Mallins-Brown
👍 2

Wed 30 Aug 2023, 21:30 (last edited on Wed 30 Aug 2023, 22:17)

Malcolm

The stability issues of non maintained and / or poorly constructed aerated concrete slabs have been in the public domain for over 4 years. Most if not all Govt Departments with property estates issued Safety Alerts following concerns / conclusions published as a joint alert by the ICE, HSE and IStructE.  That is defined process in the UK for matters of Structural Safety. A key contributor to that report lives in Charlbury - hence my knowledge from him.

I guess your question is whether or not those recommendations have been or are being acted upon?

I came across this issue whist trying to fix a strong handrail to the stairs of my home. It kept pulling off. The answer was that the internal walls and the inner cavity wall are constructed from aerated concrete blocks - the same material, albeit unreinforced, that you are talking about. 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 18

Wed 30 Aug 2023, 21:02

Well, get very annoyed. Be my guest.

It is indeed a serious issue. It is, however, not Charlbury-specific. If we were to put every national issue with potential relevance to Charlbury in the main forum, it would get absolutely swamped within three hours and the Charlbury-specific stuff would be drowned out.

The forum is not a means for you to repost the entire contents of the Guardian because you think people ought to see it. If that’s what you want to do, I suggest you get a Twitter account (or whatever Elon Musk is calling it this week) and people can follow you, or not, as they desire.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 30 Aug 2023, 20:47

Local residents need to start interrogations, just in case, into the state of health of our wider area's Schools Estates. I've just become belatedly aware from Press reports of potentially really dangerous problems in school buildings' structures, of a concrete construction technique that is causing major concern and the for-safety…

Long post - click to read full text

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 30 Aug 2023, 20:46

THIS SHOULD NOT BE IN DEBATE. IT IS A SERIOUS ISSUE. SCHOOLS ARE CLOSING NOW. IF YOU BAN THIS I WILL GET VERY ANNOYED INDEED. IT IS A NEWSPAPER STORY PEOPLE MIGHT NOT SEE.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.