I win my wager that environment laws would be the first gone (Debate)

Charlie M
👍 6

Fri 19 May 2023, 17:28

Peter's post gave me an idea - I think we need a Minister for Backwardness.

I propose our incumbent representative, formerly known as the Member for the Pro-Sewage Party. 

I even have a slogan for him ...

"Courts disaster at every turn!"

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 19 May 2023, 15:39

I "won" a bad, sinking feeling... just remembering a conversation in t'pub from 2016 or thereabouts.

Peter Finch
👍 8

Fri 19 May 2023, 10:44 (last edited on Fri 19 May 2023, 10:58)

Oh, Brexit, the gift that just keeps on giving. I mean, who needs those pesky environmental protections anyway? Clearly, the geniuses behind Brexit have it all figured out. Who needs clean air and water when you can have complete sovereignty, right? It's not like the environment plays any role in our lives or anything.

I must say, it's truly impressive how Brexit has managed to single-handedly solve all of our environmental concerns. Forget about those pesky EU regulations that were put in place to protect our fragile ecosystems and prevent us from turning our planet into a toxic wasteland. We're better off without them.

And let's not forget the benefits of ditching the European Court of Justice. Who needs a body that holds governments accountable for their environmental actions? I'm sure our own politicians will do a splendid job of regulating themselves. After all, they have such a flawless track record of putting the interests of the people and the environment first.

So let's all raise a glass to Brexit, the beacon of environmental stewardship. Who needs progress when you can have backwardness? Who needs a sustainable future when you can have short-term gains? Thank you, Brexit, for reminding us that environmental protections are just an unnecessary burden. Bravo!

Kieran Hood
👍

Fri 19 May 2023, 10:34

Congratulations Malcolm.

How much did you win?

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 17 May 2023, 17:55

From the Guardian-

"Air pollution transparency rules among EU laws to be scrapped by UK

Government has rowed back on plans to ditch 4,000 laws but key pollution legislation still slated to go

Sandra Laville

Smoggy London

Air pollution poses one of the greatest environmental risks to health, according to…

Long post - click to read full text

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.