Barclays Bank, Chipping Norton (Debate)

Brigid Sturdy
👍 1

Fri 14 Apr 2023, 16:18

Thank you, Christine.  It may turn out that there is already a petition going round, in which case Chippy News will probably tell me if I try to search it.  I tried to get into the bank on Wednesday to speak to staff about the closure, but the queue had backed up as far as the door, presumably of other people with the same intention.

Incidentally, Barclays are encouraging customers to have a word with staff (who will presumably have been told what to say). They promise an ominous-sounding 'pop-up' version of the bank, in short-term premises tba until the new Community Centre opens. But they can surely afford the rent of their High Street premises.

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 14 Apr 2023, 11:35

Here's a website for starting a petition: https://www.change.org/ I often use it to sign petitions which have been started by others, but you can also start a petition from scratch.

I would have thought that most businesses in Chippy would want to sign, and that it could be publicised via chippynews.wordpress.com/

Janet Burroughs
👍 1

Fri 14 Apr 2023, 07:53

It’s happening everywhere apart from Witney, at the moment. 
Witney must be unique in the current financial cclimate. It has Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds, Santander and NatWest plus Halifax and Nationwide!! 

NADINE MILLS
👍 2

Thu 13 Apr 2023, 18:47

It won’t make any difference and he won’t reply . They will close all major banks to go to a One World Bank with Central Bank Digital Currency ID - and get rid of cash . The new normal - sorry to disappoint. Print this out and in 20 years come back to me to tell me I was wrong 😑 

Brigid Sturdy
👍 3

Wed 12 Apr 2023, 13:34

The Barclays branch in Chipping Norton is to close down in July, leaving Chippy without a functioning bank.  This is sad news for anyone who likes helpful, old-fashioned service, as well as a useful cash machine and relatively short queues at the post office.  I have written to Mr Courts and will also try to address Barclays.  A petition might be useful if anyone has helpful ideas about how to start one.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.