Royal Mail

Mark Sulik
👍 2

Fri 31 Mar 2023, 23:38 (last edited on Fri 31 Mar 2023, 23:42)

Karla - the legend and community asset as well as our post lady, looked out and gave a ‘ above and beyond’ attitude- making many friends and gaining huge respect. Didn’t want to strike, or depart the job she loved ! with no support from senior management, wanting to understand or have any interest in understanding the situation or problems encountered. The TV series Back to the Floor - a must for any serious or caring employer - unless your business is a monopoly

Lesley Algar
👍 7

Thu 30 Mar 2023, 19:52

Royal Mail is giving posties more than one round. Our postie is covering Ramsden and Charlbury. They are also expected to collect post from customers. I have also found out out Royal Mail may lose their Royal warrant due to changes implemented by management, so may not be Royal Mail for that much longer.  I would say write to our MP (haha) or complain to Royal Mail.

Privatisation at its finest.

Valerie Stewart
👍 1

Thu 30 Mar 2023, 19:37

I'm missing my fortnightly Private Eye - usually Wednesday, more rarely Thursday.  It's essential, and only partly online. 

However, I remember a conversation with one of our beloved posties who apologised for being more than an hour later than usual; he said that a great many extra duties had been put on them, while one round had been abolished and distributed between the rest.  He explained that this was one of the causes of their strikes.  

'If you're doing something wrong, you usually do it badly.'   (Robert Heller).  

Charlie M
👍 1

Thu 30 Mar 2023, 18:26 (last edited on Thu 30 Mar 2023, 18:26)

I (partly) quote from a legal website:

"The Royal Mail, under its universal service obligation has a responsibility to deliver mail to every UK address on every working day.

Royal Mail say they are extremely reliant upon their front line staff who will inevitably face challenges whilst on their rounds and will only be expected to make reasonable and practical efforts to deliver the mail. This means there can be exceptions to the universal service obligations. Delivery may, for example, be impossible due to:

- If an address is considered unsafe or poses a risk to its staff."

As far as I am aware, none of these situations are applicable to Charlbury. So how do we prove whether Royal Mail is breaking its conditions? 

Julia Webb
👍 1

Thu 30 Mar 2023, 15:51

We had a weeks worth delivered today.

Rod Evans
👍 3

Thu 30 Mar 2023, 13:37 (last edited on Thu 30 Mar 2023, 13:38)

Am not divulging my sources - but yes.  And we have lost at least one well known postie because of the extra demands being made of them on each round.

John Lanyon
👍

Thu 30 Mar 2023, 12:34

I heard a rumour that Royal Mail is currently not delivering mail to every street/road in Charlbury every day. Can anyone confirm this?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.