Shops in Charlbury (Debate)

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 3

Mon 27 Feb 2023, 16:39

The old Post Office and the old bookshop on Market Street are happily both being turned into eating places.

There are still a few shop fronts on Sheep Street whose planning status (‘use class’) is commercial, and that could be turned back into shops. Unfortunately the District Council has not always been entirely supportive in keeping town centre properties in commercial use.

I think there’s still opportunities for shops in Charlbury, but they’d need to be reasonably high-margin operations rather than relying on passing trade. Several Charlbury businesses over the years have combined a shop with mail order (or craft, or similar) in a back room, and that seems to work well.

Charlie M
👍 3

Mon 27 Feb 2023, 16:20

Laura, I agree. And very often you will find John/Londis/Five Ways Store very competitive compared to the Co-op.

PAUL R JACKSON
👍 3

Mon 27 Feb 2023, 16:02

It's true many years ago Charlbury had more shops. But its 2023 not 1980 things have moved on regards shopping. 

People have been brave enough to try things over the years but the daily foot fall is just not going to be big enough.

Regards comment of the local Co-op, it is a fantastic shop, you will have to go far to find independent retailers offering lower price equivalent goods than them.

Laura Ellison
👍 1

Mon 27 Feb 2023, 15:41

Hello,
I've lived here in Charlbury for about six years and love it, but wondered what - if any - kind of retail shops might appeal to residents? The unit where the post office used to be seems a good place to set up shop for a retailer. I think there's another unit or two empty along that stretch, seems a shame to see them empty. 

I heard from a neighbour that Charlbury used to have all the usual suspects, butcher, bakery etc. It would be lovely to see something like this set up here, I'm fed up of paying massively overinflated Co-Op prices...

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.