WHERE HAVE ALL THE FOXES GONE? (Debate)

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Thu 2 Mar 2023, 22:05

It is  quite ironic, actually Hannen, that there is quite a healthy cat population in our neck of the woods but sadly, it would appear, none that appear to like rat! I also have two dogs, both of which are hopeless at catching the little bu**ers!! 
Looks like I am doomed!

Nikki Rycroft
👍 1

Sat 25 Feb 2023, 14:22

Buy an ultrasonic rodent repellant ?? You’ll never have another mouse or rat in your house and completely safe for cats and dogs. 

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 25 Feb 2023, 00:55 (last edited on Sat 25 Feb 2023, 00:57)

https://www.westoxon.gov.uk/business-and-licensing/business-services/pest-control/

Or get a cat!

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Thu 23 Feb 2023, 21:28

Hi Harriet,

I am not disputing the fact that there are rats around - I am aware of the saying ‘You are never more than 6 ft away from a rat - what I am saying is that it would appear that from hardly seeing a rat up in our neck of the wood in Ticknell Piece, suddenly there appear to be a lot scurrying around, and that could possibly be a link to the decline in our fox population.
The bird feeder has been removed, as I stated, & I am desperately hoping that the little blighters will not attempt to enter my home. I would call in pest control but they cost and arm and a leg both of which I cannot afford just now.

Harriet Baldwin
👍 3

Tue 21 Feb 2023, 11:02 (last edited on Tue 21 Feb 2023, 11:05)

We had rats in my mother's house a couple of years ago. They came across from the Enstone Rd allotments in the winter attracted by the bird feeder and compost heap and when I removed the food and heat sources managed to get into her house via the roof. If your neighbours are feeding birds, or have chickens then there's a source of food for rats right there and they'll live happily under sheds and in drains/sewers. Nothing to do with any possible decline in fox numbers.

Basically rats are opportunistic, you've provided them with a food source and now unintentionally a house, they'll make use of it.

Christine Battersby
👍 3

Mon 20 Feb 2023, 10:35

There's a reason "rat runs" have that name. I don't live too far from you, Deborah, and I used to have quite a few rats in my garden. I think one reason was that neighbours who moved away left out food for their guinea pigs, but also a "rat run" got established and was hard to displace.

I sometimes used to catch rats in "humane" traps, and release them in the Quarry when I could. The last time I thought I had a return of the rats (turned out to be mice), I decided to get on top of it very early on and called in a Pest Removal Company -- so far, so good! 

I can't comment on the number of foxes this year, but numbers of all species do go up and down. 

Deborah Longshaw
👍 4

Sun 19 Feb 2023, 21:15

I am interested in others viewpoints here, so please bare with me:-

I love the variety of wild birds we get here and subsequently invested in a bird feeder for my back garden (one of the black metal standing ones that you can buy and hang different feeders from). Last…

Long post - click to read full text

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.