Paddock below Wellington Cottages allotments

Heather Williams
👍 1

Wed 8 Feb 2023, 19:13

Andrew Shaw she is indeed an old lady, I too have a similar horse a spritely 30 year old, which people (usually non horsey people) wonder if he is being looked after properly.  Well done for keeping her so well.  

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Wed 8 Feb 2023, 16:43

Thanks Andrew.

Yes, she did have a little try, it has to be said!☺️ I will take her half an apple next time…

andrew shaw
👍 3

Wed 8 Feb 2023, 11:42 (last edited on Wed 8 Feb 2023, 11:42)

No offence taken Rosemary. Try offering her half an apple next time but watch she doesn't have your hand off.

Rosemary Bennett
👍 1

Tue 7 Feb 2023, 20:20

Thank you everyone for all of your information.

I know it’s none of my business, but I thought the animal had been abandoned, somehow.

Her eyes looked in a terrible state, but if this is her in old age, then perhaps that is the best she can be. I don’t know. No offence Andrew, please. I was just very concerned.

Rachel Brushfield
👍 7

Tue 7 Feb 2023, 17:37

I can vouch for the fact that Cassie is much loved and looked after. Source = allotment holder who sees at first hand that she is visited often and looked after well. 

Always a good idea to gather facts before judging. 

andrew shaw
👍 26

Tue 7 Feb 2023, 16:49 (last edited on Tue 7 Feb 2023, 16:52)

Thank you for your concern for which I am grateful. Cassie is about 35-36 years old now and very well looked after. She has two young ladies, one morning and evening and company on and off during the day. Infact she has a fan club of different daily and weekly visitors bearing apples etc. Most are from Charlbury but some are from far afield. She is also regularly visited by Hook Norton equine vets and the farrier. She has a touch on cushings and is slightly deaf and has cataracts and inoperable problems with her tear ducts. She has outlived four partners and is in horse terms an old lady. As for taking responsibility for the animal I probably take about £5,000-ish per annum of responsibility for a horse that has done my family great service and who I will never consign to tin of pet food. If you know of a similar pony to be a companion do let me know as enquiries over the last 18 months have been fruitless. 

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Tue 7 Feb 2023, 16:10 (last edited on Tue 7 Feb 2023, 16:12)

Always feel very sad to see an equine (equid?) like a Donkey or Horse alone in a field. They are HERD animals, they should have full-time companions (and yes with transference in infancy these companions can be humans, and for some equines, also dogs - but remember in evolutionary memory dogs are wolves) and should share a field with at least one companion.

A lone horse always makes me feel sad and want to see if it can be called to approach and have a nice ear-rubbing etc. Making the right sounds and head movements and not staring very often successful at getting them to come over to the fence or gate. Just a tuppenny thought from a non-riding  boy who grew up in both city and country agri/horsicultural areas in Canada and Sussex.

Neil V.
👍 1

Tue 7 Feb 2023, 16:07

Blenheim’s land and it’s Andrew Shaw’s beautiful old pony, Cassie.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Tue 7 Feb 2023, 14:32

I am assuming the land is part of the Cornbury Estate. I have seen today the brown pony in that paddock. It must belong to someone, but who? Do you, or anyone you know, take responsibility for the animal. Thanks for any information.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.