speed camaras in charlbury

Philip Ambrose
👍

Sat 28 Jan 2006, 17:20

As regards the previous posting, I live on the Spelsbury Road and I don't think even Colin McRae could manage 70mph round the bends !!

A speed camera installation costs over £ 50,000 and they cannot be sprinkled everywhere like confetti. There might be a case for one near the school, but a large part of the road safety problem is congestion caused by parents' cars.

I sympathise with calls for a pelican crossing by the Primary school, a much better use of money than those horrible speed humps round Nine Acres which punish the innocent as well as the guilty.

becky landale
👍

Mon 2 Jan 2006, 14:11

but even if it is not speed camaras we place wouldnt it still be good to have something that slow s the traffic down? if the driver IS a drunk then even with speed camaras if they keep speeding there licence WILL be taken by yhte police, road safety is important

derek
👍

Fri 11 Nov 2005, 15:17

I agree with Geoff. Each morning through the Slade is like a real life version of the 80's computer game 'Paperboy'.
The parents that are too lazy to park safely off the main road are just as guilty as the speeding driver.
Surely if you live in the village walking to school is a far better example to be showing to your kidsand the enviroment. If this isn't an option use the car park at CO-OP or the layby next to the flashing 30 sign.

Also there is a crossing lady. USE her instead of the crossing the road at the afformenction bend on the slade just before the crossroads, even a non speeding driver would be blinded around this corner. I contantly see a lady and her child do this, what happens if it's someone not local who puts thier foot down after passing the parked cars outside the school ?? Then again perhaps thats one way you would get your camera.

Lastly i agree with the orginal thread, Spelbury Road is dangerous particularly the post van that drives the 10 meters between houses on the wrong side of the road in the morning another example of sheer lazyness on behalf of the postie. It wouldn't kill him/her to park and walk, however driving against the traffic may well do.

Geoff Belcher
👍

Fri 11 Nov 2005, 13:57

Speed cameras will not stop the accident waiting to happen at the primary school,Malcombe points out about traffic crossing the midline, has he ever travelled past the primary school in the mornings or afternoons and seen the cars paked on the brow of the hill there,drivers have to go into the no overtaking area marked with hatches,speed cameras are only good at the point they are at then cars just speed up again, more sense when parents park would help and stop a future accident,its not just speed that we sould be concerned about but general good sense and sensible parking by all concerned. Come on parents if you are concerned about the childrens safety lets have your contribution to it also.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 11 Nov 2005, 13:03

20's Plenty campaign contacts and explanada see below - seems pretty relevant to this discussion (just dropped into my email box this morning).

Plenty of areas around here that could do with some restrictions, like the area leading up to the crossroads of The Slade/Enstone Rd/Nineacres(?)

There is also a…

Long post - click to read full text

Igor Goldkind
👍

Thu 10 Nov 2005, 09:26

In John O'Farrell's latest book a middleclass parent living in a nice residential neighbourhood throws a scarecrow stuffed with fake blood bags (and wearing a Tony Blair mask), into the path of vehicles speeding down his road to highlight the need for a speed camera.

Just imagine the driver's horror than relief when they discovered it wasn't a real body they'd run over. Should make a lasting impression on a habitual speeder.

Unfortunately, the possibility of provoking a real accident keeps this idea firmly in the realm of fantasy.

graham W
👍

Tue 8 Nov 2005, 19:30

I agree with a speed camera on the Slade, however if the driver is drunk, joyrider etc they wouldn't really care. In reference to the last statement it appears to be correct, I am sure we all remember the tragic death of young Ryan outside Fiveways stores, thus leading to a redesigned Pelican crossing.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Tue 8 Nov 2005, 12:02

Talk to Louise Spicer who has coordinated the slower Slade campaign for years. It's not as easy as it sounds to implement traffic control in residential areas. I've been trying to get a school zebra crossing across from Charbury Primary for awhile and been informed that it would necessitate an actual fatality before the county would consider it.

A macabre method of town planning if there ever was one.

becky landale
👍

Thu 27 Oct 2005, 16:38

there are no speed camaras in charlbury we should do some thing about it!
the other day i was walking down spellsbury road and a maniac driver came round the cornere driving at about 70 mph and almost ran me over, this could have happened to anyone and had my friend not warned me of the aproaching car i might not be writing this now. we need speed camaras to decrease the amount of speeding drivers and the amount of lost lives.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.