Leak at The Bell (Debate)

Hans Eriksson
👍

Wed 25 Jan 2023, 20:15

Of course it is parody.

Melissa Midgen
👍 2

Wed 25 Jan 2023, 20:03

I'll take this as parody. Because the alternative is concerning...

Hans Eriksson
👍

Wed 25 Jan 2023, 10:47

Yes Melissa. Men except Trump don't normally grill themselves, they use the barbecue to grill meat. They also don't buy stuff - unless it uncorks or plugs in, or approved by SWMBO

Matthew Greenfield
👍

Tue 24 Jan 2023, 21:44

Donald Trump for example?

Melissa Midgen
👍 4

Tue 24 Jan 2023, 15:41

What about the heavily bronzed blonde men? Is it only women afflicted by "I saw you coming" itis?

Hans Eriksson
👍 4

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 21:43

There will lots of heavily bronzed blonde women driving unfeasibly large black SUVs looking for I saw you coming shops. This is somewhat lacking at the moment (Tim - upgrade stock?). All good. For employment and general business income. There is a large rear car park for the Bell so hopefully these SUVs won't take parking spaces - but traffic could be a problem. This is all in jest, I think it is wonderful that someone is prepared to take the pub on. 

Peter Jeskins
👍

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 20:39 (last edited on Mon 23 Jan 2023, 21:17)

James Norris
👍 4

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 20:32 (last edited on Tue 24 Jan 2023, 10:07)

Think we’ve found Bamford’s log in.

Looking at ‘Pete’s’ other posts he’s a pro-hunt, buy-to-let parasite supporter.

Peter Jeskins
👍 2

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 19:17

The fact of the matter is, it’s happening, if it’s your sort of thing then go, if it’s not then don’t go. Traditional pubs are dying, if you want to keep them, then support them. Going twice a year for a lemonade isn’t going to cut it in todays markets, if I’ve just described you then you can’t complain when they close down, the Wild rabbit and the Fox are often very busy so they’re obviously doing something right. I’ve enjoyed both, many times, not sure why anyone would be against. 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 17:41

And this is why I have a magic button to move just part of a thread to Debate…

(But seriously folks, it would be friendlier if, when someone new has come along and helpfully posted information, you could start your own threads on the Debate board.)

Peter Jeskins
👍

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 15:58 (last edited on Mon 23 Jan 2023, 21:17)

Miles Walkden
👍 17

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 15:56 (last edited on Mon 23 Jan 2023, 16:57)

Is it not possible to discuss this civilly?

Would it be nice for The Bell to stay/become an affordable, local pub? Well, yes, I suspect more in Charlbury would love that, but it does seam unlikely given the state of the pub game and cost of refurbishing such a big project.

Do we want flats or more housing? Unless someone is offering truly affordable places for local people, which would be amazing, then I would say no - we don’t need another mega (and possibly empty) house.

Would we prefer if it wasn’t the Bamford's project? Well some might not mind but I suspect most have looked at other places where they have changed the ‘feel’ of a place and be concerned. But it looks like a done deal and I wonder if we could engage with them to make it work for all (OK, I’m a little skeptical).

Is there a plus side in having a nice new restaurant in town? Well, yes! Am I the only one that’s excited that we could end up with 5 decent places to eat? We are all keen for Charlbury to stay as a Town rather than slipping into Village territory. Well, restaurants are one way to keep it alive, give employment and avoid business space becoming housing.

Thank you to Tim below for the levity. Good luck to Lisa who been initiated into the trigger-finger opinion section of the forum.

Finally, I think all posts should end with a reminder that we live in one of the nicest places on earth. Don’t forget to enjoy it.

Chris Tatton
👍 3

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 15:44

So Peter Jeskins describes Charlbury and it’s residents as the “moaning and jealous type of scrounging people it seems to Harbour already”. Nice. Thanks for your kind comments.

Tim Gosling
👍 5

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 15:31

I had to check on this. So the Cambridge dictionary does not have a definition of scroungy (or scroungey) but defines scrounging as:

to get things, especially money or food, by asking for them instead of buying them or working for them:

which i think is probably not true of the good hard working people of Charlbury

However, the Marian Webster dictionary does provide a definition of Scroungy as:

being shabby, dirty, or unkempt

which does actually sound rather like me. Guilty as charged, society is to blame.

Melissa Midgen
👍 5

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 15:14 (last edited on Mon 23 Jan 2023, 15:14)

Wow. I wanna meet "these moaning and jealous type of scroungey people [Charlbury] seems to harbour already" ... they sound fun!

Matthew Greenfield
👍 1

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 15:04

"scroungy"?

Peter Jeskins
👍 2

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 14:52 (last edited on Mon 23 Jan 2023, 21:17)

…

Tim Gosling
👍 3

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 14:41 (last edited on Mon 23 Jan 2023, 14:43)

Was it a serious leak like this one?

https://ibb.co/pXh4WcP

James Norris
👍 8

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 13:14

Why the groan? It’s been apparent it wasn’t going to be a cheap and cheerful regular pub. Better it become something good and The Wild Rabbit is excellent as a reference point. As long as we never see them, all good.

If the groan is on behalf of the Bamfords being filthy Tory donors offering Bozo accommodation and foisting him upon our town (hopefully never again), then massive, massive groan.

Melissa Midgen
👍 2

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 12:56

Groan.

Matthew Greenfield
👍

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 12:45

Thanks for the update Lisa.

"Projects Team, Daylesford Organic" - so it's confirmed that The Bell will become a Bamford pub?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.