Boris bopping the night away in Charlbury on New Year's Eve (Debate)

Philip Ambrose
👍 4

Fri 19 May 2023, 22:47

We are spared his presence, praise the Lord! 

Hans Eriksson
👍 1

Mon 15 May 2023, 13:51

There we have it, he bought the Brightwell house. 

https://metro.co.uk/2023/05/14/boris-johnson-paid-3-8m-for-mansion-that-has-moat-to-keep-people-out-18781438/

Hans Eriksson
👍

Sun 12 Mar 2023, 21:21 (last edited on Wed 15 Mar 2023, 21:22)

No comment

James Norris
👍 6

Sun 19 Feb 2023, 09:38

Just saw that and was so, so happy to see that it’s not here. A happiness somewhere between seeing your first born child and a promotion.

Birgit den Outer
👍 11

Sat 18 Feb 2023, 11:36 (last edited on Sat 18 Feb 2023, 11:37)

Just about to post the same - thank goodness. The £5 million received since leaving office is just a little sickening, however.

Sue Way
👍 7

Sat 18 Feb 2023, 10:55

Perhaps we shall be spared?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/feb/17/boris-johnson-agrees-to-buy-4m-nine-bed-georgian-manor-house-with-moat?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Melissa Midgen
👍 5

Sun 29 Jan 2023, 22:10

#groan_gettingbiggerlouderanddespairing

Matthew Greenfield
👍 2

Sun 29 Jan 2023, 20:49 (last edited on Sun 29 Jan 2023, 20:51)

Most viewed story in The Guardian tonight lol:

Hans Eriksson
👍

Sun 29 Jan 2023, 17:59

I may be wrong but isn't it the party that decides upon its candidates in each seat? That is to say it isn't for him to just pick a seat and say that he will stand there. Does he have enough leverage to be able to demand a seat? That is his gamble. I am not so sure. 

Christine Battersby
👍

Sun 29 Jan 2023, 17:38

Conservative MPs were given a deadline of 5 December to declare whether they plan to stand down at the next election. 

Victoria Prentis announced her decision to run again, and that her preference was for Banbury rather than for the new Bicester and Woodstock constituency. She was very clear about this: www.victoriaprentis.com/news/statement-decision-stand-next-general-election

Liz Leffman
👍 2

Sun 29 Jan 2023, 15:45 (last edited on Sun 29 Jan 2023, 15:46)

Cotswold isn't that safe - it was a Lib Dem target last time and will probably be next time.  It isn't very far to the border of the Stratford on Avon constituency.....no doubt they will be looking for a new candidate after today's announcement.  I have heard a rumour that Victoria Prentis might be considering retirement.

Naomi Berger
👍 1

Sun 29 Jan 2023, 12:29

Is there a chance that maybe he'll be vying for the Cotswold seat? Clifton- Brown is getting on a bit after all, so can't be long before he considers retiring. It's a pretty safe Tory seat as far as I can work out.

Alice Brander
👍 8

Sun 29 Jan 2023, 10:09

It seems though that there are no certainties with a Conservative Party taken over by UKIP members.  Since living in Charlbury I don't think we've ever received a Conservative manifesto leaflet.  However, we did have UKIP leaflets and they were printed in Banbury.

Mr. Johnson is a UKIP leader.  His supporters and friends are English nationalists as opposed to British patriots.  A coalition of the very wealthy and the angry.  They have successfully de-selected most of the acceptable Tories.  They have made us all poorer in pocket and in spirit.

Alan Cobb
👍 4

Sat 28 Jan 2023, 20:49

So BJ's mug may appear on an election leaflet in future.  My cat will be proud to have it lining her litter tray so she can treat it in the proper manner.

Christine Battersby
👍

Sat 28 Jan 2023, 19:02 (last edited on Sun 29 Jan 2023, 19:37)

Alice, I don't believe Prentis's selection is in any doubt. She helped save the Horton Hospital in Banbury, and her local farming and family background also help. She is currently Attorney General for England and Wales and Advocate General for Northern Ireland.

Given that, I do think we are safe from BJ as a Tory candidate for Charlbury, but less sure about Witney which is being expanded to the south (exact boundaries under appeal) whilst keeping Tory-voting places like Carterton (Brize Norton). 

Not quite sure how Bicester and Woodstock will look in terms of voting intentions, as the new constituency includes quite a few areas that might favour LibDems -- including Eynsham, Kidlington, Woodstock, Ascott and Shipton as well as Bicester.

But there are other complications given that the Reform Party -- used to be called the Brexit Party -- has said it will not do deals with the Conservatives next time around, but will field candidates against every Conservative standing. 

Alice Brander
👍 2

Sat 28 Jan 2023, 17:30

A constituency home then for paid travel expenses from London home to the country at the weekends.   Second home nearer Westminster to live in.  Have the Banbury Conservatives chosen Mrs Prentis?  

I’ve just read a lovely book,  José Saramago, “Seeing”.  What happens when 70% of the vote are returned blank.  The author was Portuguese living under a false democracy.  Thoroughly recommended.

Mark Sulik
👍

Sat 28 Jan 2023, 15:54

Another Air B and B , with ample parking ? 

James Norris
👍 7

Sat 28 Jan 2023, 13:03

There shouldn’t be a single safe Tory seat because… well look at the state of the place.

Christine Battersby
👍 5

Sat 28 Jan 2023, 12:00 (last edited on Sat 28 Jan 2023, 12:07)

The house/farm is within the boundaries of Charlbury. 

But I think Charlbury is safe from any campaign leaflets bearing BJ's face, since after October 2023 we will be in the Banbury constituency, along with Finstock and Fawler. Victoria Prentis (born and brought up in Banburyshire) has already announced her intention to stand for that seat in the next General Election -- even though on current polling trends that seat is very likely to go to Labour. 

Stonesfield may not be so lucky, as they are allocated to the new Bicester and Woodstock constituency, and I don't think an announcement has yet been made about who will be the Tory candidate for that seat. 

Roberts Courts' home is now in the new constituency, so he may decide to move to the constituency of Bicester and Woodstock, or may prefer to stand once again for the re-designed Witney constituency (which continues to include Leafield, along with the Wychwoods and Burford).

So, yes, Michael Flanagan is probably right that BJ may have an eye on a local seat, but it's extremely unlikely to be the one that covers Charlbury. Whether either the Witney seat or the Bicester and Woodstock seat will be considered safe enough for a Tory win is likely to be something that his supporters will be mulling over. 

Since the property used to be the mailing address for CPRE (Oxfordshire Buildings Preservation Trust Ltd) and the land includes a scheduled monument (a probable Romano-Celtic temple), I think there's little chance that the listing of the building will have been unnoticed.

Michael Flanagan
👍 1

Sat 28 Jan 2023, 09:51

"It'll be a second home to offset some 40% tax."

Not so sure.

Whatever schemes accountants might dream up to move bits of Johnson B's income to Johnson C, they won't affect two simple principles established after the 2009 MP expenses scandals 

• That MPs may no longer get income tax…

Long post - click to read full text

Hans Eriksson
👍 1

Sat 28 Jan 2023, 09:06 (last edited on Sat 28 Jan 2023, 12:00)

Who knows?

Amanda Epps
👍 1

Fri 27 Jan 2023, 22:16

I hope that Mr Johnson realises that Lees Rest is a listed building before he starts “improving “ it!

James Norris
👍 2

Fri 27 Jan 2023, 09:24

Let’s hope so, Alice.

Alice Brander
👍 3

Fri 27 Jan 2023, 08:07 (last edited on Fri 27 Jan 2023, 08:36)

It'll be a second home to offset some 40% tax.  They will be as visible as our other invisible neighbours.

James Norris
👍 2

Fri 27 Jan 2023, 07:03

Assume it is the gated one with the long drive, just past the trees on Woodstock Road. That came on the market pre-Christmas and, despite the large price tag, was off again within the week. This news is really quite annoying, would much rather it were Harry Styles.

Chris Tatton
👍 10

Thu 26 Jan 2023, 19:31 (last edited on Thu 26 Jan 2023, 19:34)

Oh what fun the sans culottes of Charlbury are going have welcoming bojo to Charlbury, or as one of his more articulate  elderly female electorate described him as “that lying toe rag”. 😁🔥🇪🇺

Matthew Greenfield
👍 11

Thu 26 Jan 2023, 16:27

I imagine he will be getting his supplies from Daylesford (as he did while in Downing Street - see this Daily Mail story) so hopefully no chance of bumping into him in the Coop ha, ha! I also imagine he will have a private GP just like the current PM.

It's interesting that two of the most calamitous Prime Ministers in modern UK history now have links to the area. Perhaps Liz Truss can move here too and we can complete the set!

Mike Williams
👍 5

Thu 26 Jan 2023, 15:01

Charxit anyone ?

Valerie Stewart
👍 7

Thu 26 Jan 2023, 14:00

One of the problems is that he's got form for enjoying many other people's private lives.  Lock up your daughters. 

Mark Sulik
👍 5

Thu 26 Jan 2023, 11:49 (last edited on Thu 26 Jan 2023, 14:48)

I’m sure he , and his family will use the shops for milk and food, the doctors and dentist , restaurants and public houses like we are all entitled to , and choose if , where and the frequency. Should it be the Bell ( Bamford Gin Palace ) then the objectors can keep away , but allow him and his family the opportunity to be able to enjoy his private life . Just like any other resident. I’m sure his opinions will not be placed on the forum ! 

Valerie Stewart
👍 4

Thu 26 Jan 2023, 10:21

He's what my economist friends call 'a perversely valuable example.'   In moving here from wherever he is now he'll lower the average IQ in both places. 

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Thu 26 Jan 2023, 09:28

The adverb will soon be corrected. Alas. 

And it would be interesting to know if the house is really being bought with his own money, as the Times story suggests, or if his neighbours and friends, the Bamfords, have once again assisted with the purchase.

Matthew Greenfield
👍 5

Thu 26 Jan 2023, 08:56

#groan (at least it says "near" and not "in" Charlbury)...

Today's Times: BoJo makes home run

"After months of being homeless and living off the generosity of friends, as well as the odd megabucks speaking engagement, I hear that Boris Johnson is almost ready to stand on his own two feet. The former prime minister, who has declared some £60,000 worth of free accommodation from the Bamford family in the past five months, is believed to have found an ideal private property to buy in Oxfordshire near Charlbury, where he was seen ringing in the new year at a barn dance at the Bull Inn, and may move in this summer. “Needs considerable renovation and has seen better days,” a local source tells me. Yes, but what about the house?"

nigel rosser
👍 1

Sun 15 Jan 2023, 17:57

James. I agree. It's ghastly. It's as if we had a lawyer for a massive American, gas-guzzling, car corporation in our midst.

Mark Sulik
👍

Sat 14 Jan 2023, 23:17

The possibility of  the “party boy “ house hunting locally , is looking likely of being a reality 

James Norris
👍 8

Sat 14 Jan 2023, 06:38 (last edited on Sat 14 Jan 2023, 06:48)

Neil, it’s a fairly valid point from Helen, in a discussion thread about why the f that utter charlatan was not only in a Charlbury pub, but given the responsibility of doing the NY countdown by the owners. It’s the equivalent of Leo Messi turning up to a new bar in Catalonia, such is the depth of the family connection to the Conservative Party. With this, and the much discussed Bamford takeover of The Bell, we’re at risk of being an old Etonians/Conservative social club. I couldn’t think of many things worse.

‘Baron Chadlington’ 😂😂 - why am I not shocked he was involved in a PPE contract scandal? £50m handed to a recruitment company to source coveralls for hospital staff.

Hans Eriksson
👍 4

Fri 13 Jan 2023, 18:35

I also think it is wonderful that The Bull gets a new lease of life, well done to the team sofar. 

Interesting news on Times Radio today. Boris supporters are plotting this: Tory party trounced in May local elections (it will probably happen), Boris says to weakened Rishi: Here is the pact, you give me a safe seat (Boris knows he will loose in Uxbridge), and won't stand in your way. Hoping to become opposition leader after the election.

I know what I would say if I were Rishi...

Neil V.
👍 8

Fri 13 Jan 2023, 16:51

Helen - and your point? Aside from Boris, the Bull once again has nice momentum as a local hostelry. That’s great to see and as far as I’m concerned, I wish it the best of success as a friendly place to eat, drink and meet. From some of the team that work there, James appears to be an excellent publican who wishes to inject some new ideas, and appears to have done a great job turning a pub around in London. Why are people so keen to stoke some emotional class debate? Just let the quality of the pub do the talking, and don’t drag it down simply because some feckless, lazy individual once spent a few hours there (just to be clear, I’m referring to Boris, not me!).

Helen Datson
👍 5

Fri 13 Jan 2023, 16:31 (last edited on Fri 13 Jan 2023, 18:07)

Hardly surprising that the Pelican pop-up at the Bull would have a visitation from Boris given that one of the owners is apparently the son of Baron Chadlington of Dean, formerly known as Peter Selwyn Gummer, brother of John...

Melissa Midgen
👍 4

Wed 11 Jan 2023, 22:26

just sayin':

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/shameless-boris-johnson-living-20m-28922635

James Norris
👍 6

Tue 10 Jan 2023, 11:54

Ah man, The Bull’s new owners were doing such a good job too. Totally go and ruin it by having him in the pub (and asking him to do the countdown 🤦🏻)

Sue Way
👍 4

Thu 5 Jan 2023, 10:36

And Liverpool.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 2

Thu 5 Jan 2023, 09:31

To be fair, I can’t think of a community in Britain where a discussion about Boris Johnson wouldn’t immediately get heated. Except possibly the Stokes Croft Community Forum – I imagine they’re probably pretty unanimous about him there.

Michael Flanagan
👍 2

Thu 5 Jan 2023, 08:33

It's practically certain that any discussion of Johnson and whether he's looking to acquire a house in the English countryside will:

• almost immediately turn into a discussion about Johnson's own political plans
  • then morph into a discussion about the desirability of those plans for the UK in general and Charlburyshire in particular
  • and in turn be consigned to the Debate forum.

In fact, there was an article by Matthew Paris in The Times on Jan 4 about almost identical rumours of imminent Johnson moves to near the Paris house in the Peak District (Tory majority: c 17,000) to those floating round Charlbury. And a Times article by the editor of the Conservative Home website on Jan 3 about the likelihood of Johnson's adopting what Tories call the "chicken run" strategy: an attempt to find a safer seat than his highly marginal current seat in Uxbridge, which on current polls the Tories would be almost certain to lose if an election were held tomorrow.

FWIW, I'd put my money on the Johnsons acquiring a temporary house somewhere near Chateau Bamford to use as a base for finding a constituency the Tories can win at the election after next - where he'll then acquire a house when the time is right.

I wouldn't put any money right now on any seat in Oxfordshire being safe enough for him to risk over the next two years the reputational damage to the "unbeatable Johnson" myth that's the base for his popularity among Tory party members.

Graham Wisker
👍 3

Thu 5 Jan 2023, 08:21

Boris could rent my place, decorate and upgrade appliances using tax payers money,  then I could evict him. Just a thought!?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 7

Wed 4 Jan 2023, 22:13

And we have a new record for the number of likes on one post!

(Previous record-holder was Dave Oates with 39 likes for a post appreciating 2021’s Wilderness.)

Melissa Midgen
👍 18

Wed 4 Jan 2023, 21:09

Yep, days off and parties....definitely his preference and not limited to his 'private time': also while in office and during lockdown. But, you know, give him a break and all that.

Mark Sulik
👍 5

Wed 4 Jan 2023, 20:47

A public house, where everyone is welcome to come and relax and enjoy themselves , away from work and in their private time. We all have different views, likes , food , political views . Give the bloke a break ! and let him have a personal life . I’m sure he could comment and have opinions of what people post here , but rather have a day off and party 

Mark Sulik
👍

Wed 4 Jan 2023, 20:26

Boris - likes to party . Anyone taking odds on him taking a family residence locally ? 

nigel rosser
👍 2

Wed 4 Jan 2023, 20:18

Boris is Mp for Uxbridge and West Ruislip, not H and F.

Hans Eriksson
👍

Wed 4 Jan 2023, 17:47

It was said on Times Radio today that Boris is seeking to become MP for West Derbyshire (large conservative majority) because he doesn't think he'll get elected again in his current seat Hammersmith and Fulham. Matthew Parris who held that seat in the past has threatened to stand again should Boris make that move. All this probably means Boris is not becoming a Charlbury resident... A second thought just popped up in my head though, maybe he's angling for the Witney seat...

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 24

Tue 3 Jan 2023, 14:02

I love the line in the Oxford Mail report that “The pub where the party took place could have been one of three in Charlbury, including The Bull, the Rose & Crown or Ye Olde Three Horseshoes.”

It really couldn’t.

Melissa Midgen
👍 53

Mon 2 Jan 2023, 23:08

It's perfectly reasonable for people to express their dismay that the vile, incompetent, amoral excuse for a former prime minister was celebrating in their home town given the untold damage he has wreaked on this country. Also, that the Brexity Bamfords - in his whose pockets Johnson is -  might be doing a Kingham and an Oddington to Charlbury. It's not hijacking a forum; it's called having an opinion, and this is mine. Also, worth remembering that 57 members of his own Conservative government resigned because they could no longer tolerate his mendacious, chaotic and negligent leadership.

Sue Way
👍 3

Mon 2 Jan 2023, 22:02

Hans, please please tell us this is a joke.

Hans Eriksson
👍 7

Mon 2 Jan 2023, 21:46

I admit it, I sold my house to the blonde. The Zoffany wallpaper will be gone soon. Meanwhile, my advice would be invest all your savings in gold wallpaper futures. 

Liz Leffman
👍 18

Mon 2 Jan 2023, 19:02

Looking forward to knocking on his door at election time if that is true!!!

Andrew Chapman
👍 10

Mon 2 Jan 2023, 18:31

Let’s just hope today’s rumours that he has bought property in Charlbury are unfounded…

Gareth Epps
👍 13

Mon 2 Jan 2023, 17:36 (last edited on Mon 2 Jan 2023, 17:40)

For those short on memory as far as the Daily Mail is concerned, it supported fascists and notably Oswald Mosley’s blackshirts in the 1930s and has shown little improvement ever since; it was clearly implicated in the phone hacking scandals, has gleefully hounded a number of vulnerable people to their deaths and will happily be sexist, racist, homophobic and xenophobic, often at once.  It is a pathetic rag that should have been put out of business years ago, and those of us with any decency will have nothing to do with it.

I wouldn’t even use it to pick up dog mess.

I refer you to Valerie Stewart’s excellent comments, which are somehow in Debate.  Mr Darnell seems to have forgotten the results of recent elections in these parts, which resulted in the comprehensive rejection of Mr Johnson and what he stood for.

Steve Darnell
👍 8

Mon 2 Jan 2023, 17:29

I totally agree with you, Tim.

Unfortunately the Forum appears to have been hijacked by a small band of like minded individuals whose political bias is obvious. The problem is that it puts many people off reading the Forum at all. A great shame.

Gareth Epps
👍 7

Mon 2 Jan 2023, 17:26

Dear oh dear, the Johnson fan club is a bit jumpy these days.

Meanwhile, back to the winter of discontent we go…..

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍 18

Mon 2 Jan 2023, 17:13

Lets start again shall we as this was hijacked by the "Tedious lets bash Boris brigade again " 

Yawn Yawn Yawn.

So for those who are interested  and love him or hate him, Boris yes The Boris Johnson attended the Bull Inn New Years Eve do, which has given Charlbury some more media limelight, yes there was some sloppy journalism and yes we were called a sleepy village but hey ho a mention is a mention and the Rose and Crown, The Bull Inn and the Ye olde three horseshoes all got a free name check, apparently all who attended had a great time at the Bull all good publicity surely ? and has to be good for the town, god knows we need it, as I would think that any outsiders who do bother to take a look at this Charlbury info site must be horrified and gobsmacked at some of the bias snide rude remarks about certain individuals and their political beliefs.

What has this town come to ? 

How have we sunk so low ?

Surely with a New Year and all that, lets start putting Charlbury first !  

Again for those interested this was the article that the original post was about. 

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11591101/Boris-Johnson-counts-New-Year-Cotswolds-telling-Brits-things-better.html

Charlie M
👍 7

Mon 2 Jan 2023, 16:33

On Saturday night, there were two cars very arrogantly parked on Church Street; one was a black Range Rover, parked outside Fairfax Estate Agent's, the other was a gold BMW estate outside the Rose & Crown. These two cars actually blocked the bus to Witney for quite some minutes. 
I wondered if the Range Rover in particular might be something to do with Johnson's security mob, as I am quite sure that people like that consider themselves above the laws of the land on simple things like double yellow lines ...

Gareth Epps
👍 3

Mon 2 Jan 2023, 16:19

For those who really want to read about this tedious individual but would rather not give the owners of the “Daily Mail” any advertising revenue, here is the text, sourced from elsewhere:

Boris Johnson was spotted in a sleepy Cotswold village celebrating enthusiastically and ringing in the new year.

The…

Long post - click to read full text

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Mon 2 Jan 2023, 13:14

Thanks for the confirmation, Sarah. Not sure why this info got banished to the "Debate" section, along with the informative discussion about cheeses ...

Sarah Goad
👍

Mon 2 Jan 2023, 13:08

The Bull held a barn dance for New Year which they advertised on social media, and someone who attended has confirmed in the Debate section it was indeed himself.

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Mon 2 Jan 2023, 12:06 (last edited on Mon 2 Jan 2023, 12:24)

Can this story be true? I do hope it is not ... was there a Charlbury pub that had line dancing and hay on the floor on New Year's Eve? Was Boris Johnson there?

Charlbury is described as a "quiet Oxfordshire hamlet" in the international press, and as a "sleepy village" in the Mail. Accuracy is not one of their strengths.

I do sincerely hope that this is not a sign of things to come! But BJ has relocated to a property on the Daylesford Estate owned by the Bamfords:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11369221/EMILY-PRESCOTT-Ex-PM-Boris-Johnson-Carrie-land-luxury-new-cottage-Cotswolds.html 

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Mon 2 Jan 2023, 10:50

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11591101/Boris-Johnson-counts-New-Year-Cotswolds-telling-Brits-things-better.html

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.