Tyres deliberately slashed on Sandford Rise (Debate)

Matthew Greenfield
👍 3

Tue 29 Nov 2022, 22:26

Tyre Extinguishers deflate tyres of 900 SUVs in ‘biggest ever action’

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/nov/29/tyre-extinguishers-deflate-tyres-of-900-suvs-in-biggest-ever-action

Liz Reason
👍 5

Fri 28 Oct 2022, 17:28

I see many valid arguments here for people to be able to share/hire different vehicles at different times depending on the purpose for which they need it at the time.  This would mean fewer vehicles on the roads and certainly a lot more parking space.

Mark Sulik
👍

Fri 21 Oct 2022, 17:38 (last edited on Sat 28 Jan 2023, 15:56)

No child or booster seats , seat belts or N cap 5 star crash ratings and safety crumple zones, air bags . How things have changed and improved and safety being the catalyst one assumes . ? Think they use to cut the verges , clean the gully’s and renew the road markings with regularity - How things have changed . A cello in a mini  - must have been a Mini Clubman Estate ?  

Claire Wilding
👍 5

Thu 20 Oct 2022, 17:57

When I was a kid, my mum used to drive us to school with one child in the front and two in the back with a cello resting on top of them - this was in an old-style mini! Sometimes we gave my friend a lift who also played the cello, so it was three kids in the back and a second cello posted on top through the window.  

Mark Sulik
👍 2

Sat 24 Sep 2022, 14:20

What is “ a normal car “ ?  Different for every individuals circumstances - irrelevant to the act of criminal damage and vandalism - being the topic now being debated.

Many people who live in the old part of the town, without allocated parking, suffer from station users parking outside properties to avoid paying for parking at the  station, thus creating the problem of residents being able to park close to their homes. The result is a ripple effect with everyone parking wherever they can , so why should other areas of the town be any different. ? With the new impending changes to the traffic measures and double yellow lines, will not improve the situation, but make it more problematic. Parking needs to be provided as the use of public transport and the reliability of this is the subject of another thread on the forum.

Charlie M
👍 5

Sat 24 Sep 2022, 11:44 (last edited on Sat 24 Sep 2022, 16:21)

Hans, I assume you are referring to Chelsea tractors. But are you suggesting that a gamekeeper should buy a Mini?!

There are indeed certain sad individuals that buy big vehicles in order to (in common parlance) "take the kids to school"... I think there is a lot of "keeping up with the Joneses" about this. But we are getting away from the thread, which is about vandalism, pure and simple. 

And I think I would be rather p***ed off if someone parked a massive vehicle outside my house instead of outside their own. 

BOTH sides are at fault in some way, methinks!

Hans Eriksson
👍 6

Sat 24 Sep 2022, 10:50

I find it morally reprehensible to choose to drive a car that is twice as heavy as a normal car, and with a fuel consumption that is double. 

Alice Brander
👍 4

Tue 20 Sep 2022, 15:16

Indeed, never go first with new technology.  My point is, some people want cars that are too big for roads and garages and some people want small functional ones.   The market and advertising encourages people to think that they need bigger when in fact they don’t.

I suspect you reduce vandalism by reducing envy, anger and inequalities and this is on the debate page.

Mark Sulik
👍 2

Tue 20 Sep 2022, 11:29

Do manufacturers make products that consumers want to buy , I am sure they do their market research to facilitate this process. Profitability is much greater on the all too expensive EV options in the early stages of the evolution into this new technology.

And the chargers are needed- get the infrastructure in place before the demand ? 
Criminal Damage - is Criminal let’s not lose the purpose of the thread - being that of criminal damage and vandalism and local issues of parking ! 

Alice Brander
👍 3

Tue 20 Sep 2022, 11:04

I'm afraid its a modern myth that you can't get a dog crate a pram and a golf buggy in a medium sized car and climate change has done away with snow and ice except for maybe one day a year.  Obviously, where a person needs a big vehicle for bulky work equipment then they need a big vehicle. 

A very good friend went on holiday from London to Bordeaux with her husband and young son, 3 bikes, 2 windsurfing boards, tennis equipment and luggage for 3 weeks in a Fiat Panda.   It just needs imagination and a bit of will.

There are many of us who want small, electric vehicles which fit dog crates, prams, golf buggies, luggage for 3 months and to park in a garage, etc. but are being denied presumably because the fossil fuel and vehicle industries makes more profit out of selling big things.

Mark Sulik
👍 5

Sun 18 Sep 2022, 20:27

Perhaps, and just maybe the need and choice of any particular vehicle will be dependent on the owners requirements at the time. Weights are linked to the ability to tow , trailers, horse boxes, and accommodate households that may have families with more than 2 children and all the equipment needed , Prams, wheelchairs and enough room for the family shop ! Rural roads with poor maintenance results in a lot of pot holes people have the ability to choose what they need in their circumstances, and the ability to have better vision on these rural roads , when vision is obscured with lack of grass cutting. Criminal Damage, because someone doesn’t agree is not the answer and perhaps this generalisation is a way of loosing votes and respect. All vehicles and cyclist, runners and walkers who are on the road network are a threat to other users not just Range Rovers . I do not have a Range Rover, and have recently joined the world of EV. A shame that the efforts are not being directed to get a suitable charging station to prevent unnecessary journeys to charge, to allow the working population to get to work - we don’t all sit a home in front of a keyboard and screen. As a friend mentioned to me yesterday, a builder, they wouldn’t let him take a wheel barrow on the bus or train to get to work ……..when they are actually running.

Liz Reason
👍 4

Sun 18 Sep 2022, 18:52

Range Rovers and cars like them are like tanks and in my view are unnecessary on British roads both urban and rural. They may make their own drivers feel safe but they are a threat to other road users.

Maggie Watts
👍

Sat 10 Sep 2022, 22:45 (last edited on Sun 11 Sep 2022, 10:10)

It is inconsiderate to park your car next to a home for people likely to have mobility issues.

Maggie Watts
👍

Sat 10 Sep 2022, 22:06

A Volvo estate is a big car.

Mark Sulik
👍 5

Wed 7 Sep 2022, 11:30

For information, a standard Range Rover , is almost identical in length as a Volvo estate 

Liz Reason
👍 2

Mon 29 Aug 2022, 16:50

I wonder if it was about a parked car, or the fact that a Range Rover is a gas-guzzling, space-consuming vehicle. I believe there is a protest campaign to slash their tyres - usually with a sticker left on the window to explain the action.

I am not justifying it, just providing some additional information.

James Norris
👍 2

Wed 17 Aug 2022, 09:36

Surprised you haven’t been hitting him up with your car hire spam, James.

James Styring
👍 10

Wed 17 Aug 2022, 08:01

Susie- thanks. Rarely have I wished a thread a speedier dispatch to the Debate bin!

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍 6

Wed 17 Aug 2022, 00:41

I think that the original post has made us all aware of people who may cause harm to parked cars.  Because of the ill feeling I will move this thread to Debate in the morning 

James Norris
👍 1

Tue 16 Aug 2022, 19:47 (last edited on Tue 16 Aug 2022, 19:49)

I was the first person to comment in the thread is why. In fact the only person seemingly concerned about the band of vigilantes delivering their brand of justice to somebody innocently minding their own business and obeying laws. I bet it if were a bit of graffiti on the bus stop your lot would be piling in.

Pauline Eagling
👍 8

Tue 16 Aug 2022, 19:42

Don’t even know why you are commenting other than you love to argue.  You’ve been pulled up about it before and you always resort to insults.

James Norris
👍

Tue 16 Aug 2022, 19:26 (last edited on Tue 16 Aug 2022, 19:34)

As is turning a thread about somebodies car being vandalised on your crime-ridden ghetto into an ill-placed moan at the victim, chasing him out of his own thread. You’re in the wrong, stop commenting and I will too.

Pauline Eagling
👍 5

Tue 16 Aug 2022, 19:21

Excuse me James but your rudeness and comments are childish and boring as ever.

James Norris
👍

Tue 16 Aug 2022, 18:44 (last edited on Tue 16 Aug 2022, 18:52)

It’s not even my issue and your arrogance at assuming you know the actions of everybody on the street is frustrating. He’s absolutely right, it’s impossible for you to know that.

I hope the fella does leave it there for the year in protest. Might join in and leave a fleet of bangers for the OAP vandals to take their teenage rebellion years out on.

Pauline Eagling
👍 1

Tue 16 Aug 2022, 18:28

Gary and James, think whatever you like, we know it was nothing to do with us so none of us will lose any sleep about it. End of ……

James Norris
👍 6

Tue 16 Aug 2022, 17:14 (last edited on Tue 16 Aug 2022, 19:51)

Pauline, don’t you see how your continued raising of certain resident’s perceived priority to park in the spaces and suggesting that one legally parked vehicle is somehow in the wrong is exactly the type of attitude that leads to somebody committing such an act? If that is the collective view of people on the street, shown by the ‘question what’s happening with that car?’, then it doesn’t take much of a leap to see how somebody takes matters into their own hands for being in ‘their’ parking space.

The entitlement on display to think he couldn’t/shouldn’t park there is off the scale. I’ve had it myself and there’s no reasoning with people who think this way, even when it’s clear they are wrong.

Pauline Eagling
👍 4

Tue 16 Aug 2022, 15:02 (last edited on Tue 16 Aug 2022, 15:14)

My dog is NEVER off the lead

Pauline Eagling
👍 2

Tue 16 Aug 2022, 13:31

Gary I am not disputing that there is currently not a disabled spot merely saying yes you have the right to park there but it certainly is not in the community spirit to abandon your second car for over a month knowing that the area is where older members live and giving them a problem to park and carry their shopping. And for the final time, there is no way any of them would be able to slash a range rovers tyres.  Hypothetically speaking IF any of them could or did, surely it would be on the pavement side and not the road.  

Pauline Eagling
👍 4

Tue 16 Aug 2022, 13:19

James, you clearly do not know the residents of Hanover Close nor their ages or capabilities.

James Norris
👍 5

Tue 16 Aug 2022, 10:42

The issue is the damage, not somebody being within their rights to park on a street, Pauline.

I agree with Gary, you have no way of knowing it wasn’t one of the residents. You’d hope it wasn’t, but this sort of thing is incredibly common. Disputes over perceived parking ‘rights’ (when there are none) take place on streets in every town in the country. 

Pauline Eagling
👍 3

Tue 16 Aug 2022, 10:13

Gary, we are trying to get at least one disabled parking space.
Your comment stating walking 4 m is a problem, for some it is especially with heavy shopping, surely that is why there are many parking spaces for the disabled everywhere. Thankfully I don’t have that problem but I really feel for the people who do and as Charlbury is one of the most community minded places, I would have thought you would too as you are living here.

Once again I reiterate it certainly was not one of the residents here and would ask you kindly to direct your anger somewhere else.

Pauline Eagling
👍 3

Tue 16 Aug 2022, 09:16 (last edited on Tue 16 Aug 2022, 09:19)

Gary, sorry but I feel I must respond.  Whilst walking my dog (not curtain twitching) you were pumping up your tyres, I jokingly said, oh so you’re finally going to move it.  Your comments were not exactly pleasant and I tried to point out that leaving your car for over a month was a little inconsiderate due to many of the elderly residents with cars were unable to park, thereby giving them a problem with their shopping, to which you replied they shouldn’t be driving! On returning from my walk you then informed me that the tyres had been punctured/slashed and openly accused one of the residents of doing this.  Do you know how old the people are here and the ratio of men to women?  I only ask as I am sure it would take considerable strength to slash the tyres of a Range Rover and NONE of them including myself have the vindictiveness or strength to do so.  Additionally being rude and obnoxious was hardly the way to carry on when I was being perfectly polite to you.

Whilst I appreciate your anger and I would feel exactly the same as you did, I would not lower myself to leave a ridiculous note on the windscreen openly accusing the residents of vandalism and asking for £400 to move the car, quite honestly it is laughable. 

Furthermore don’t you think your comment of leaving the car until 23 June is rather childish.

By the way, this is not the first time Sandford Rise has had problems with theft/vandalism, in fact my neighbours had their number plates stolen last year.

James Norris
👍

Tue 16 Aug 2022, 09:05

Yeah they definitely look deliberate. Sorry to hear that, really awful to think somebody locally would do that over parking.

Alex Michaels
👍

Tue 16 Aug 2022, 06:54

Perhaps how/where it was parked created an access problem for the properties in the immediate vacinity: what would have happened if they had needed a large vehicle to get right up to their property for delivery, etc. during the 4-week period?  Did you leave a note in the car's window, its likely that given the distance from your house no one knew who to speak to to ask it to be moved.

James Norris
👍

Mon 15 Aug 2022, 17:41

That’s pretty disturbing to think somebody would do that. What have the police said? Do you have any pictures of the damage?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.