No energy security without ownership (Debate)

Liz Reason
👍 3

Fri 1 Apr 2022, 18:13

Don't forget asking the French and Chinese to build our nuclear power stations.

Alice Brander
👍 9

Tue 29 Mar 2022, 11:59

I’m afraid our Government doesn’t understand ‘energy security’.  It’s just sold the energy infrastructure network to Australia and Canada.  

Macquarie, the same Australian company that pour sewerage into our rivers have a controlling stake in the energy network that you and I have poured money into all our lives.  They say they will manage a green transition.  Believe that, believe anything.

Alice Brander
👍 5

Thu 10 Mar 2022, 18:03

There are lots of folk in Charlbury who think the same.  That’s why there is a community benefit solar park.  

Before the invasion of Ukraine, prices of oil and gas were rising as demand picked up in the World and the UK energy companies were responding by selling energy to the highest bidders overseas.  That is not energy security.

Community energy is cooperating with offshore developers in Scotland after a successful bid under the ScotWind leasing programme where community input is valued.  That is a big step towards energy security and it’s possible because of supportive Government. That’s what we need.  

vicky burton
👍 2

Thu 10 Mar 2022, 15:10

This is the best thing I've ever read on this forum Alice. This is a vote winner from me. Definitely time for a re-think. I hope people read it. Can't see how such good sense should be tucked away in the debate board. 

Alice Brander
👍 3

Thu 10 Mar 2022, 09:07

Exactly Charlie.  I heard it again this morning on the radio.  We must look at developing oil and gas for energy security.    

If you want energy security the energy has to be owned and used by the people who need the energy security.  The Government is about to sell the last remaining  UK energy sources overseas.   Robber barons!

Charlie M
👍 5

Wed 9 Mar 2022, 19:43 (last edited on Wed 9 Mar 2022, 22:19)

Well said, Alice.

I always used to explain privatisation like this. Just suppose that you were sat at home, in front of the telly, and someone came in the door, unplugged your telly, took it outside, and when you followed them out, they say "Would you like to buy this telly?". To my mind, it is an accurate parallel; Thatcher essentially sold the people of Britain national assets that they already owned.

I have lost hope of seeing any resurgence or "moral economics" under this government, and probably in my lifetime. But until there is a general rethinking that leads to acceptance and belief in the idea of a national "all for one and one for all" instead of a universal profit motive, I see no chance of improvement.

Alice Brander
👍 8

Wed 9 Mar 2022, 09:39

All my life I have wondered why successive governments have rejected home owned energy production.  Mrs T's government invited multi-nationals to develop our oil and gas fields.  They are responsible to their shareholders not to the UK population.  The events of the last 6 months have shown how multi-nationals producing huge profits for their owners all over the world, sell their produce to the highest bidder.  That could be anywhere.

Worse, the supply of energy to the West is a political calculation and we are dependent on some of the most unpleasant regimes in the world.

So , developing oil and gas in the UK again will not achieve energy security unless that oil and gas is nationalised or community owned.   A new energy strategy has to be based on communities.  

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.