Free parking in West Oxfordshire petition 2022 (Debate)

James Norris
👍

Sat 26 Mar 2022, 04:53

Both quite appropriate though, wouldn’t you say Tatts?

Chris Tatton
👍 5

Fri 25 Mar 2022, 21:34

James. Good to hear you are progressing from calling residents “stupidest” to “precious”. As for this fake news about car parking charges, think the instigators have learnt from their maestro Putin and his mates funding, just saying. 😁

James Norris
👍

Fri 25 Mar 2022, 17:47

Nobody is shouting, precious

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 9

Fri 25 Mar 2022, 10:11

Gentle suggestion: if you feel like using the word “stupid”, then the Debate board is the place for you, or alternatively maybe get out into the sunshine and stop shouting at the computer.

James Norris
👍 7

Fri 25 Mar 2022, 06:47

Easily the stupidest thing I’ve read this year, Simon.

Simon Hogg
👍 6

Thu 24 Mar 2022, 21:42

Car parking should be charged in order to reflect the climate damage caused by car use. £10.00 per hour would be reasonable, that would then be used to provide/subsidise sufficient and effective public transport e.g. 30 people on one bus vs 30 people in 30 cars.

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Fri 18 Mar 2022, 17:16 (last edited on Fri 18 Mar 2022, 17:23)

Finding the parking is going to be part of the problem, given that quite a few areas are designated as residents only -- and, of course, the residents will need to pay for the permits themselves. The maximum parking time for non-residents in the areas with paid parking is 3 hours, until 8 p.m. including on Sundays, and that is going to place pressure on the areas that remain unrestricted. The free car park is really far too small, and will presumably have quite a few places taken by those who work in the town. 

Those who drive to Woodstock to pick up buses into Oxford from there or to go for a walk in Blenheim -- or simply have a meal in a pub and then go for a walk -- will find their choices severely limited. 

I might feel differently about it if we had more frequent evening and early morning buses from and to Charlbury -- or any buses at all on Sundays for that matter. At the moment drive to Woodstock and pick up the bus there is often the best choice for me -- and, yes, I realise that I am lucky in that for me bus fares are subsidised and free.

I do think this will impact on trade in Woodstock if the proposals are approved. This was (at last) beginning to pick up in the town with the introduction of the new butcher's and the linked grocery store. 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 8

Fri 18 Mar 2022, 14:08

Just £1 for an hour’s parking when it’s £5.10 for a return bus from Charlbury to Woodstock! I think that counts as a bargain.

Hopefully one day WODC will subsidise bus fares to the same extent they do car parks.

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 18 Mar 2022, 12:06

There are proposals to introduce paid parking and resident-only parking in Woodstock. A quick look at the plans suggests (to me at least) that it is going to get much harder for visitors to Woodstock to find on-street parking -- especially free on-street parking -- 8 a.m - 8 p.m. 7 days a week.

There's a consultation here: https://letstalk.oxfordshire.gov.uk/woodstock_parking2022 Closing date is 15 April 22. 

There will be exhibitions of the plans in Woodstock: 

Saturday 19th March: 9.30am – 12noon, Woodstock Community Centre, New Road, Woodstock.

Monday 21st March: 6.30pm – 8.00pm, Woodstock Town Hall, Market Place, Woodstock.

A pdf of the plans and other documents are also available online.

Can I urge everyone who parks in Woodstock to look at the plans and respond to the survey. 

Lots of new ticket machines for buying parking are marked on the map. This is a proposal by OCC rather than WODC, but in terms of removing free on-street parking it comes to the same thing.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Tue 15 Mar 2022, 15:22

Just wait and see. When the option for car park charges is explicitly ruled out by the Labour/lib/green coalition then the Tories will jump all over it claiming victory etc etc etc its all been a Set-Up.

If I was a senior councillor and an officer of the council had NOT put forward a policy option to consider, eg charging, then I’d be serious in considering that the officer concerned was NOT doing his/her job properly.

Tory Bori’s Liars have played dirtier than this Vladlike effort so I suppose it could be worse like a cannibal paedophilic branch of a global conspiracy…

Charlie M
👍 5

Sat 12 Mar 2022, 12:17

Richard, maybe the thing to do is to persuade Lubov Chernobyl or whatever her name is to "make a donation" towards its retention?!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 9

Sat 12 Mar 2022, 10:31

Meanwhile, the X8 bus from Chipping Norton to Kingham station is being withdrawn in April. I must have missed the local Conservatives’ petition to save it.

Paul D Jackson
👍

Sat 12 Mar 2022, 08:50

I am always amazed that WODC does not "sell" its free parking, especially to visitors. Perhaps "Welcome to West Oxfordshire's Free Parking" signs should be around?

Liz Leffman
👍 6

Fri 11 Mar 2022, 13:43

Well, the Russians are past-masters of fake news, of which this is a prime example (see my earlier post).

Gareth Epps
👍 7

Fri 11 Mar 2022, 13:19

Presumably they're using their Putin-linked funding for the misinformation.  How [in]appropriate.

Emily Algar
👍 9

Fri 11 Mar 2022, 12:45

We've just received some leaflets to do with Free Parking being removed. I'm glad the Conservatives are busy with important things... not the sky-rocketing energy bills that  mean families are going to have to choose between being warm or eating, the humanitarian crisis in Europe etc etc.

Charlie M
👍 1

Fri 4 Mar 2022, 18:37

Liz, I wonder if this would be the same "consultation" instigated by WODC regarding the removal of parking restrictions in the centre of Witney that were set in place - allegedly - because of COVID? It is my understanding that there was "massive" opposition to them being retained, but that WODC considered that they "knew better", and hence the restrictions remain!

Liz Leffman
👍 11

Fri 4 Mar 2022, 18:30

Unfortunately, there has been a lot of misinformation circulated about plans for parking charges in West Oxfordshire, and this petition is part of that.

There is no plan to levy parking charges in off street car parks in the district, almost all of which are owned and managed by WODC.  At the moment WODC also manages parking enforcement on the streets on behalf of OCC. Under the new plan, OCC will manage on-street parking infringements, such as parking on yellow-lines, in loading bays, and in bus lanes, as it already does in Oxford City, Cherwell, South Oxfordshire, and the Vale of White Horse districts. Some towns, eg: Woodstock, may decide in future to levy on-street parking charges, which would be managed by OCC, but that will be up to them and it would only happen after consultation.

Gareth Epps
👍 8

Fri 4 Mar 2022, 12:31

Unfortunately nothing more than a piece of misleading scaremongering by some seasoned practitioners of the art.

As the three main parties in the county have said they will keep free parking in West Oxfordshire, this one can safely be filed away.

J Fox
👍

Fri 4 Mar 2022, 12:15 (last edited on Fri 4 Mar 2022, 22:58)

What about this petition to keep Free parking

https://www.change.org/p/keep-free-parking-in-west-oxfordshire

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.