Highway code changes from today (Debate)

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 6

Tue 8 Feb 2022, 12:49

And when we get into talk of “idiots” I think it’s time for the Debate board with this one…

Charlie M
👍 1

Tue 8 Feb 2022, 12:28

Since these new laws came in, I have - twice - had idiots step out onto zebra crossings without looking. And no doubt before long I will - again - experience cyclists who think that traffic lights do not apply to them! 

Harriet Baldwin
👍 2

Tue 8 Feb 2022, 12:18

It's actually more difficult as a driver when you have pedestrians in black without lights or high viz who step out in the dark because they assume you can see them and they have the right to do so.. 

Christine Battersby
👍 4

Tue 8 Feb 2022, 09:03

Pedestrian safety at the Enstone Crossroads has certainly not been improved by the new Highway Code.

Drivers have always often stopped and beckoned to me, as a pedestrian, to cross when there is a queue of waiting traffic on The Slade; but it's often a mistake to respond to the gestured invitations, given the speed of the turning traffic and the impossibility of seeing round blind corners. 

Given the uncertainties produced by the new Highway Code, I decided in the last week to cross at different places in order to cope with the problem. But that didn't make crossing the roads any easier. Perhaps things will eventually settle down, but they haven't yet. 

Damian Gannon
👍 5

Tue 8 Feb 2022, 00:02

I live near the Enstone Road Crossroads. I can watch many drivers reading the highway code on their phones whilst I sip my morning coffee. Not seen any driver give way to a pedestrian yet?

Pauline Eagling
👍

Mon 31 Jan 2022, 17:17

Hi Diana firstly I would say I loved driving in the Netherlands it was so organised.  I lived near the border so spent a lot of time shopping there and it was a pleasure.  After experiencing the driving in Germany, the amount of cars with dents in them coupled with seeing many pedestrians knocked over, I am not so sure it will be without problems. Many drivers in Germany seemed to want to race round the corner as quickly as possible in order that they did not have to stop and wait and I fear this here.  Also the fear of the driver in front stopping for pedestrians when the car behind is not expecting it to.  

Pauline Eagling
👍

Mon 31 Jan 2022, 16:59 (last edited on Mon 31 Jan 2022, 23:18)

Phillip, yes I think there will be quite a few problems. The one reason I am not driving here is the differences in the Highway Code together with the fact that I drove over 600,000 km in Europe on the wrong side of the road and I think I would find it difficult to adjust.

Diana Limburg
👍 7

Mon 31 Jan 2022, 08:59

I grew up with this rule in The Netherlands. We got traffic lessons at primary school, and one rule that we had to rote learn was 'traffic that goes straight on has priority over turning traffic on the same road' (rechtdoorgaand verkeer gaat voor afslaand verkeer op dezelfde weg). It makes a lot of sense and is much safer for pedestrians I think, as it puts the onus on the turning car to ensure that they're not running anyone over. Particularly the knowledge that some cars don't slow down when making such a turn makes it quite scary to cross next to a main road under the old rule. But it only works if you know that the drivers (and all other traffic) know, understand and abide by the rule. Which will be quite a while. 

Philip Ambrose
👍 1

Sun 30 Jan 2022, 18:35 (last edited on Mon 31 Jan 2022, 08:32)

Hi Pauline, 

It's exactly this type of incident that I fear will become all too commonplace. I'm not convinced that these changes have been fully thought through. In the early stages at least there are likely to be many more incidents of this type, some with potentially life changing consequences, more insurance claims, higher premia and more legal cases. Only one winner in all of this - lawyers!

As a kid I was taught the Green Cross Code. Is that being dispensed with? It certainly feels that way.

I have no problem with a re-allocation of priorities in favour of the most vulnerable, but a re-allocation that solves more problems than it causes

Pauline Eagling
👍 3

Sun 30 Jan 2022, 09:48

Living in Germany for many years, this new addition to the Highway Code is the same as they have there.  However cycle lanes are everywhere, no matter how big or small the town or village is and are usually paved in rusty coloured stone.  If a motorist is turning into a side road they have to check first no cyclist and then check no pedestrian.  Statistically I am not sure if it works or not, all I can say is that there are many cars driving around in Germany with dented doors and more so now with electric bicycles becoming popular. 

Philip Ambrose
👍 4

Sat 29 Jan 2022, 22:33

The new Highway Code is all very well, but if a motorist starts to turn left into a side road, then spots a pedestrian looking likely to cross and stops (as now required to do) what happens to the cyclist who was some way behind but going straight on in his / her cycle lane? Recipe for chaos or worse IMHO. 

I would like to see pedestrian crossings simplified. In 20 mph zones a pot of white paint should suffice to create pedestrian crossings using stripes only, as in many other countries. There could then be many more of them in residential areas, improving road safety.

Steve Jones
👍 6

Sat 29 Jan 2022, 14:54 (last edited on Wed 2 Mar 2022, 21:36)

No wise pedestrian is ever going to feel safe at the Enstone crossroads as it is currently laid out. It's got poor visibility for all concerned and the Highway Code change will make no difference for what is an inherently unsafe junction. Nobody in their right mind should ever act…

Long post - click to read full text

Brian Murray
👍 2

Sat 29 Jan 2022, 13:19 (last edited on Sat 29 Jan 2022, 19:19)

Anyone wishing to buy a copy of the new Highway Code should be aware that it will not be available as a hard copy until April this year. Various retailers are advertising copies for sale now but you will be wasting your money, as they are older editions.

It is possible to read a summary of the changes or all of the new Highway Code on line at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code

Gareth Epps
👍

Sat 29 Jan 2022, 11:22

I've just put a news post up about this.

Harriet Baldwin
👍 2

Sat 29 Jan 2022, 10:38 (last edited on Sat 29 Jan 2022, 12:40)

Unfortunately since I have spatial hearing loss as a result of concussion and Menieres there is no way I am crossing a road while a vehicle is sitting with its engine running preventing me hearing anything else (as in emergency vehicle sirens, because obviously they will still be coming towards me and not stopping). Is there a way around this for people like me?

Duncan Forbes
👍 1

Sat 29 Jan 2022, 09:42

I wonder how many people are aware of the changes to the Highway Code which come in today. A lot of drivers in Charlbury will need to change their habits before pedestrians feel safe at the Enstone Crossroads! Here are two of the new provisions:
  • when people are crossing or waiting to cross at a junction, other traffic should give way
  • if people have started crossing and traffic wants to turn into the road, the people crossing have priority and the traffic should give way
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/the-highway-code-8-changes-you-need-to-know-from-29-january-2022

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.