Diddly squat restaurant refused (Debate)

Liz Leffman
👍 12

Thu 16 Mar 2023, 18:36 (last edited on Thu 16 Mar 2023, 18:54)

The response to the traffic filter consultation was a combination of in person sessions, some email contributions, and an online consultation which was open to anyone in the County and which 4814 people completed.  Total number 5700. All of the details of the consultation can be found in the archive section on the Let's Talk Oxfordshire website.  For future reference, all OCC consultations are on this website and anyone can access them and participate.

David Cook
👍

Thu 16 Mar 2023, 11:05

Mathew, I totally agree threats to councilors and public officials is totally unacceptable.I do have questions ref the consultation taken between the 5th Sept and 13th Oct. In the attached reference one chapter mentions there were 5700 respondents and another chapter states 4814 respondents. The key questions is how many people in total were consulted and which surrounding villages were included in the consultation. Were towns in surrounding Oxfordshire also included in the consultation? Any actions taken by OCC surely should include all residents and businesses within the county?

Hans Eriksson
👍 1

Wed 15 Mar 2023, 20:43

Jezza didn't turn up for the appeals hearing, he's using JPPC who I am sure are good at what they are doing. But probably cheaper than £ 250k for a London barrister team... What does it mean? Try an appeal see what might happen, but expecting to loose is my guess. Sorry for those locals who have found employment. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-64964155

Matthew Greenfield
👍 7

Wed 15 Mar 2023, 08:33

Very interesting Steve. Clashes with the council obviously makes good "content" for a television programme but it is not very nice for the councillors who are trying to do their job under current rules. I see today that death threats were made against some who opposed the planning application:

Death threats made against two people opposed to Jeremy Clarkson’s farm plan

I really feel for the councillors who have to deal with this stuff, especially when it gets so out of control, e.g. the now global culture war against the Oxford traffic filter scheme. The councils had to put out a statement regarding this as well:

"Staff and councillors at both councils have been subjected to abuse due to inaccurate information, being circulated online, about traffic filters.

"We take the wellbeing of our colleagues seriously and are taking appropriate steps to provide staff and councillors with support. We are working with Thames Valley Police to report the most extreme abuse.

"The misinformation has also resulted in both councils receiving numerous calls and social media messages from worried residents.

"To reassure residents, we have produced the following FAQs to set the record straight."

Stephen Andrews
👍 7

Thu 9 Mar 2023, 08:14

I came across a Statement released from WODC the other day. Most people will not have bothered to read it as it will seem boring, but never mind because slagging off the council officers still makes good telly, does it not?

"We understand that the planning process shown in Season…

Long post - click to read full text

James Styring
👍 2

Fri 3 Mar 2023, 16:14 (last edited on Fri 3 Mar 2023, 16:18)

This is funny: https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/tv/jeremy-clarkson-shocked-discover-x-26337437?fbclid=IwAR0EI4LztFUmwz8n2bvTFRS5IxHEnh92-uwZcK-i1CaJsmMikRATPVFsQig

James Norris
👍

Tue 28 Feb 2023, 13:58

You saying Mr Dewar is a plant, Andrew? Could well be, as I don’t like to think anybody really is that petty.

Andrew Chapman
👍 8

Tue 28 Feb 2023, 12:13 (last edited on Tue 28 Feb 2023, 12:13)

A keystone of storytelling is 'where's the jeopardy?'. If Clarkson keeps cattle and everything goes perfectly, there's no drama. But if they 'escape', it's entertaining. If he wants (or the producers suggest he should want) a restaurant, it doesn't work as a narrative without some enemy or impediment to stand in the way. Draw your own conclusions.

Rod Evans
👍 2

Tue 28 Feb 2023, 11:44

Not sure if there’s much point to this but…

1.     A developer’s identity is not strictly a ‘material consideration’ in a planning decision because in the vast majority of cases a permission runs with the land - and the identity of the landowner or developer can of course change overnight.  It is more likely to be wrongly taken into account at local level (as in eg ‘oh we know them, they’re ok’) than on appeal where a more objective view can be expected.  In exceptional circumstances, a permission for a change of use can be made personal (and temporary) but hardly ever for a permanent building.  Being a TV personality imho is irrelevant, whatever their appeal or lack of it.

2.     I haven’t read the case papers but this site is in the countryside, if not exactly isolated, within the AONB.  The case for a new restaurant would thus find little if any support in planning policy – though arguments can always be made.  If he really wants to open a restaurant, as opposed to simply drawing attention to himself, he could probably find suitable premises in Chipping Norton a couple of miles away where many might welcome it.

James Norris
👍 2

Tue 28 Feb 2023, 07:36 (last edited on Tue 28 Feb 2023, 07:47)

They should, as their acting in the role of evil councillors hell bent on refusing any applications regardless of logic or precedence and based solely on the applicant was Oscar-worthy.

Stephen Andrews
👍 3

Mon 27 Feb 2023, 15:42

Not withstanding the merits of any appeal, this is hardly a surprise as it will generate footage for Amazon Prime episodes or a special. I just hope council officers get equivalent performance fees as Jeeza. 

Hans Eriksson
👍 4

Sun 26 Feb 2023, 16:11

Jezza is appealing the restaurant closure https://www.oxfordshirelive.co.uk/news/oxfordshire-news/jeremey-clarkson-appeals-council-decision-8185579

James Norris
👍 2

Wed 15 Feb 2023, 10:14

Apologies Liz, I missed a point you raised about keeping the restaurant open post series 3, was distracted by Gareth’s meltdown the other day. I do think his intentions are to keep it going after the cameras stop rolling.

1. He already has partial ownership of Chequers, operating in very much the same space.

2. It will likely be successful and profitable, so why wouldn’t he?

3. The other spin-off business from the show, Hawkstone beer, is doing remarkably well. Do you think they’ll stop brewing that?

James Norris
👍 2

Wed 15 Feb 2023, 09:50 (last edited on Wed 15 Feb 2023, 10:10)

I see that Hamish fellow’s justgiving has had a bump off the new series https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/stop-diddly-squat/

What an incredibly pathetic NIMBY attitude to have. Not just object, but bring in legal representation. 

Hans Eriksson
👍 7

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 16:10

My 2 cents. Allow the parking space in the field west of the shop, that will stop people fouling up the verge. And parking on the A361. That field was used before for parking. Allow it as a temporary measure and only when the shop is open.

James Norris
👍 8

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 13:57

“Discussion closed” you’re not chairing a debate about the grassing cutting schedule 😂

Gareth Epps
👍 9

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 13:25

And whether someone holds appalling views or not, as I've said, is not a relevant planning consideration.  

Discussion closed.

James Norris
👍 4

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 13:16

I don’t really need to, as you’ve already stated: “the fact that Clarkson is, among other things, an appalling misogynist”. I mean, I don’t disagree, but I’m not somebody with input on the outcome local planning matters like yourself and your fellow  “a prize a___e” council member. 

Gareth Epps
👍 9

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 13:05

Mr Norris, I have kept my opinion of the individual to myself.  Please do not posit your interpretation or try and tell me what I think.

If you want to ask my opinion, feel free to ask.  That is what a normal person would do.

James Norris
👍 5

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 11:52 (last edited on Tue 14 Feb 2023, 22:52)

The fact you stated it shows your starting position. Which is absolutely understandable for the majority of us, but you have signed yourself up for a role where you get to wield a tiny amount of power, so displaying such prejudices on a public forum does little to change the preconceptions people have of ‘town councils’.

It wasn’t the TV series claiming it was a good idea, it was my view from living here. 

Gareth Epps
👍 10

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 11:36 (last edited on Wed 15 Feb 2023, 18:18)

Mr Norris - if that is your name.- I was pointing out that neither was a relevant consideration. 

Perhaps you should take a little time to read others' comments before responding.

Liz Leffman
👍 10

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 11:35 (last edited on Mon 13 Feb 2023, 11:36)

An extra 12 cars a day?  Have you been up to Diddly Squat at the weekends?  The place is swamped by people wanting selfies with Mr C, with dozens of cars parking on the roads including on the A361 which is incredibly dangerous.  Not a formula for a viable business and it is highly likely that when series 3 has completed, he will decide to close it, which is why I am advocating a temporary car park surface.

The enforcement appeal is being heard in 2 weeks so we will know after that if he is being sensible and putting in a planning application for a car park. Let's hope so.

James Norris
👍 10

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 10:46 (last edited on Mon 13 Feb 2023, 10:54)

Surely as somebody on the town council you should view these things through the lens of whether it’s an appropriate thing to do for the area, and not your personal opinion of the individual?

You’ve underlined what was clearly the issue in this instance, where the person from WODC was only too eager to rule this out, based purely on who the applicant was. Regardless of the fact it’s out of the way, would be of great benefit to the area and is wanted by a large number of people, the default starting position was to reject.

Gareth Epps
👍 10

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 10:24

A TV series claiming a restaurant is 'a good idea' is no more a relevant consideration than the fact that Clarkson is, among other things, an appalling misogynist.

James Norris
👍 10

Sun 12 Feb 2023, 22:02

Anybody watching the new series can surely see that the restaurant is a good idea? Yes Liz, putting in the car park is the bare minimum but lets just make a viable business for people to enjoy, even if it means an extra 12 cars a day.

Rod Evans
👍 4

Sat 28 Jan 2023, 21:05

Not that I want to draw attention to it but there's a prog on tomorrow night called 'Jeremy Clarkson: King of Controversy'.  In other words, some people just want to be the centre of attention and don't care about the rules or think they only apply to us 'little people'.... Who am I talking about here? And just how many of them (.....sons) do we have to put up with?

Maybe time to emigrate?  But where's left??

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Sat 28 Jan 2023, 15:33

<innocent little cherub polishes halo and asks - why doesn't he build a car park on a site nearby suited to such use ...? And then run a shuttle bus every 10 minutes or so, to the restaurant ? One single decker bus with disabled access and lots of disabled places etc and etc can be the equivalent of 60 or so cars, or 30 assuming 2 persons per car.

<sfx> <daposh>

Hans Eriksson
👍

Sat 28 Jan 2023, 09:09 (last edited on Sat 28 Jan 2023, 11:59)

Wonderful

Liz Leffman
👍 10

Fri 27 Jan 2023, 18:53 (last edited on Fri 27 Jan 2023, 19:23)

I have tried to persuade Mr Clarkson to apply for permission for a car park and WODC have said they would consider this if he put in an application but so far he hasn't done anything about it, just continued to complain and behave like a prize a......e.  I asked at the meeting yesterday for officers to wait and see if he gets that sorted before implementing the waiting restrictions. They have agreed to do that, so they will only go in if he does nothing after the March appeal against the previous enforcement order. 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 27 Jan 2023, 17:15

A year later and this is still rumbling on…

https://twitter.com/OxfordClarion/status/1618955460622819328

William Glasbury
👍 13

Fri 14 Jan 2022, 16:45

This is so interesting. They didn’t have any issue with planning permission for the Butlins for the insufferable middle classes at Soho Farmhouse and yet, here’s a non-members only venue that brings people to the area but also ACTUALLY CATERS TO LOCAL PEOPLE and it’s torn down. 

I so heartily agree with the local farmers who will find themselves further depressed that whilst being told their milk/meat etc is devalued and undercut by goods from abroad and they need to diversify, efforts to diversify are met with heavy handed denial. 

West Oxfordshire is not a living museum and it’s in no one’s interests that it be treated as such. 

Matthew Greenfield
👍 1

Fri 14 Jan 2022, 16:33

Article about it in the Guardian:

‘It’s shortsighted’: farmers lament veto of Jeremy Clarkson restaurant

www.theguardian.com/media/2022/jan/14/its-shortsighted-farmers-lament-veto-of-jeremy-clarkson-restaurant

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Wed 12 Jan 2022, 09:33

There’s a horrible mess been made of the verges opposite the farm entrance. It looks as if nobody cares.

James Norris
👍 4

Tue 11 Jan 2022, 18:00

@glena they all have their place, but going to a restaurant that isn’t a pub is as welcome sometimes as going to a pub that doesn’t want to be a restaurant (like the Rose & Crown). 

@John all of those things you list wouldn’t especially be bad things, as long as they are planned with careful consideration. More different amenities are welcome.

Liz Reason
👍 1

Tue 11 Jan 2022, 17:20

The Chequers is part-owned by Clarkson anyway along with Elisabeth Murdoch - Country Creatures.

Rod Evans
👍 2

Tue 11 Jan 2022, 14:20

Planning decisions nearly always involve a balancing exercise between competing if not conflicting interests.  I haven't looked closely at this one but given that AONBs "have the highest status of protection" in relation to "conserving and enhancing landscape and scenic beauty" (NPPF para 172), I'd take a lot of convincing that this is the right location for a restaurant, being well outside any built up area.  Not to mention that the reason for its possible popularity has far more to do with its owner,  where the development potentially would be permanent.

Perhaps he could take over The Bell??  Only kidding - but I wish someone would!

Gareth Epps
👍 2

Tue 11 Jan 2022, 13:34

The Chequers (one of many pubs round here that was shut for a long time by a brewery or pubco anticipating change of use, only to thrive when reopened as a pub).

glena chadwick
👍

Tue 11 Jan 2022, 11:47

The Tite Inn at Chadlington is quite near and does food. Also the large pub at Churchill (can't remember the name) does v. good lunches and is also not far.

John Kearsey
👍 2

Tue 11 Jan 2022, 11:35

I would suggest it is development by stealth. First a restaurant, and that probably needs a bar, and perhaps the customers would want to stay so let's build a small hotel...

Jim Clemence
👍 6

Tue 11 Jan 2022, 09:21

I agree with Richard.  I am not sure that the balance has been struck quite right on this one or perhaps the Mill House Hotel.  One of the purposes of the AONB is to increase the understanding and enjoyment of the special qualities of the Cotswolds AONB and you need to get people to the area to do that.  Diddly Squat is certainly bringing a lot of people who otherwise might not visit.  I suppose there is a question as to how much Cotswolds enjoyment would be derived by visitors to a Diddly Squat cafe/restaurant but I think there is a good argument, especially given the farming context.  The traffic is the biggest issue both in impact and management but they satisfied the Highways Authority.  Visitors generally means traffic.

James Norris
👍 11

Mon 10 Jan 2022, 20:53

Many of the objections are very weak and are clearly raised because of who it is and not what it is. A good, non-public house restaurant would add a lot to the area. The farm shop is pretty rubbish, but they’re not proposing some huge Daylesford style enterprise.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 15

Mon 10 Jan 2022, 20:48 (last edited on Mon 10 Jan 2022, 21:01)

I’m a little worried that the trend at the moment seems to be to refuse any and all commercial development within West Oxfordshire’s part of the AONB. The refusal/withdrawal of the application to revive the Mill House Hotel at Kingham was a similar example.

There’s a fine line between conservation and development, and I wouldn’t presume to say which side this falls. But I would hope that the planners take into account the need for rural West Oxfordshire to be a thriving place where people (especially the young) can work, rather than just a rural dormitory area for Oxford or a pretty front garden for Witney.

(Also very disappointing to see no mention of supporting the X9 bus in the report, given that many of the concerns were about traffic, and the X9 runs right past Diddly Squat’s front gate.)

Liz Puttick
👍 1

Mon 10 Jan 2022, 20:14

Bad luck, but if at first... you can always make like property developers and come again with a scaled back version. I see the plan is 8am - 10pm, so maybe just drop breakfast for starters...

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Mon 10 Jan 2022, 19:07

Summary of planning documents here: https://meetings.westoxon.gov.uk/documents/s3575/Uplands%20Committee%20Schedule%2010th%20January%202022%20pdf%20v%202.pdf

I bet Clarkson appeals.

Hans Eriksson
👍

Mon 10 Jan 2022, 18:12

Not strictly Charlbury but Chadlington. https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/19836836.refused-jeremy-clarkson-plans-restaurant-diddly-squat-farm/

Admin can put this in debate if they prefer. 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.