Snouts in Troughs (Debate)

Graham Wisker
👍 15

Sat 4 Dec 2021, 09:12 (last edited on Sat 4 Dec 2021, 09:24)

The bit I find very confusing is that as an HGV driver my hours of work are restricted. In a six month period my working hours are limited to average of 48 hours per week, in addition I cannot work no more than 60 working hours (Excludings breaks and POA (Periods of Availability, ie waiting at sites / docks etc for goods)) in a given week but the following weeks are reduced to hit the average.  This was introduced by the EU as part of the working time directive along with my tachograph regulations which also determine my hours (to complicated to explain!).

With these regulations in place I would not be able to have a second job, not that I need one.  The question is that is why hasn't this directive been introduced to other sectors like medical and educational? I am sure that I am not the only one who wouldn't want an an over worked and tired lorry driver behind them or over stretched surgeon doing a major heart operation.

I have come to conclusion that many MPs are greedy, liars and not trustworthy, in addition like the sound of their own voices to get want they want us to believe.  - "Do as I  say not as I do" springs to mind!

Michael Peake
👍 5

Fri 3 Dec 2021, 13:16

I suspect that any Top 30 list of MPs' second jobs would predominantly feature the party in power. If you're going to attempt to buy yourself favours from Westminster, you'd probably want someone sat to the Speaker's right.

That's in no way a defence of the Tory MPs. Rather, it magnifies how important it is that this kind of thing is outlawed. It surely cultivates corruption.

Alex Michaels
👍 6

Thu 2 Dec 2021, 23:25

If someone wants to become an MP they have to be prepared to suspend activity in any other 'alternative' vocation/employment during that period. No one is forcing them to be an MP, after all - they have decide what their job is and leave the alternative alone.

Valerie Stewart
👍 5

Thu 2 Dec 2021, 21:00

May I suggest a principle?  If the second job makes a material contribution to their tasks as an MP, then go ahead; but if on the other hand it's the role of MP that makes the material contribution to the second job, nix it.  

So (for instance) working as an A&E doctor is a good and useful thing, because it helps to inform the task of an MP.   But having a job simply because it's useful to have an MP's name on the notepaper, not so much. 

Of course, I'm talking about principles rather than fixed rules; a perpetual source of headache for policy wonks, but if done right removes much of the fun and profit for saloon-bar lawyers.  

Nick Millea
👍 8

Thu 2 Dec 2021, 12:48

Why is this a radical view, Phil? Personally I cannot comprehend how any MP would have sufficient time at their disposal to tackle more than the one job of representing their constituents. If those elected are focusing on anything else then they are diluting their value as MPs. I do wonder why people would choose to vote for those taking such a distanced approach to their electors. Then along comes an MP like Tooting's Rosena Allin-Khan, working as a doctor throughout the pandemic, and I find myself questioning my own opinion. Where do we draw the line? 

Phil Morgan
👍 2

Wed 1 Dec 2021, 16:40

Just bringing this back into focus. I'm surprised that nobody has commented.

The issue has not gone away. I take the radical view that no MP should take a 'second job'.

Am I being too simplistic about this?   

Phil Morgan
👍 7

Fri 12 Nov 2021, 14:39 (last edited on Fri 12 Nov 2021, 14:40)

According to the Guardian's list, the top 30 MPs earning the largest sums from 'second jobs' feature 28 Tories (+ 1 Lib Dem + 1 Labour). It kind of speaks for itself don't you think? Perhaps George Orwell got it right in 'Animal Farm'. The pigs are more equal than other animals.... I suspect that this may run and run. The journalists are on it....watch the news!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.