Our MP Robert Courts, again (Debate)

Alice Brander
👍 8

Mon 22 Nov 2021, 16:28

Oh dear.  Mr Courts again, gloating over the opening up of air routes between London-Dundee and London-Newquay.  Says the Tories gave £4.3m of our money to make this possible.  I thought Conservatives didn’t believe in propping up lame duck industries.  This is nothing short of immoral.  Climate change affects Conservatives too Mr Courts.  

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 2

Sat 20 Nov 2021, 14:37 (last edited on Mon 22 Nov 2021, 17:56)

An article, from the usual suspect of the Grauniad, that neatly sums it up and points to the collective mental sickness of the English (and in particular whatever passes for the "working class" nowadays - I certainly don't know what "WC" means anymore, despite originating from the poorest, most marginalised…

Long post - click to read full text

Alice Brander
👍 4

Sun 14 Nov 2021, 16:41

I find it extraordinary that anyone can make excuses for what simply appears as bad herd behaviour.  It’s the 1984 Ministry of Truth in action.  He also cared deeply about not exposing people in care homes to Covid and then voted to transfer adults untested from hospitals into care homes.  Actions speak louder than words.

Christine Battersby
👍 3

Sun 14 Nov 2021, 16:28

Actually, Hannen, I do think that Robert Courts does care about water pollution.

I've had 2 extremely long (and different) emails (on 27/10 and again on 8/11) from him, justifying the way in which he voted on water pollution. 

I don't agree with him, but do think he cares about this issue -- especially since the pollution of rivers is one of the three campaigns featured on his own website (as I had pointed out when I first emailed him about the pollution of local rivers). 

Hannen Beith
👍 2

Sun 14 Nov 2021, 14:03

I doubt whether Mr Courts gives a damn.

Alice Brander
👍 3

Sun 14 Nov 2021, 10:32

Do we now have to write to Mr Courts asking him not to support the government in their plans to take control of the independent Electoral Commission?   Another assault by the government on an institution that tries to protect the voters.  Mr Johnson is very angry with them for finding Conservatives guilty of not declaring election expenses properly.  

Providing a population with clean water isn't a difficult decision it's a no brainer.  Providing support and excuses for open lies in Parliament and agreeing to the appalling waste of funds in useless contracts to friends, isn't to balance the demands of constituents, party, etc.   It's a failure of checks and balances.  As a barrister, Mr. Courts needs to stand by his principles.  

Philip Ambrose
👍 3

Sat 13 Nov 2021, 20:33 (last edited on Sat 13 Nov 2021, 20:36)

Given our MP's previously high profile (laudable) stance on discharges by Thames Water, he could at least have abstained. 

The English water companies were privatised as part of Tory party dogma. Their privatisation has brought little in the way of investment and TW still insists that it needs a new reservoir in Oxfordshire, which will take up thousands of acres of farmland and have a massive carbon footprint in construction, while 25% of its refined product is lost before it reaches the customer. This would not be tolerated in any other business.

Charlie M
👍 7

Sat 13 Nov 2021, 13:58

Gregory, you said:

"If the Whips give a three-line and you are a member of the government you have to follow it."

Not so. (Unless, that is, you are solely interested in enhancing your parliamentary "career" at the expense of what matters to your constituents.)

Let us consider just one matter: the recent controversy over the scandalous outflow of sewage into our rivers and sea. 

Courts should have voted against the government; it might have shown him to be a man with BALLS, someone prepared to stand up for the concerns of his constituents against the priorities (if that is what they are) of his party (and/or the water companies' shareholders who have done so well out of his party's privatisation of the industry all those decades ago). 

But the way he voted shows that neither of those suggestions are true. And to quote an earlier correspondent, give us a donkey next time; at least we would not need to reason with it.

Richard, if this post goes too far, then please delete it. For me, it is time to stop pussy-footing around!

Gregory Lupton
👍

Sat 13 Nov 2021, 09:53 (last edited on Sat 13 Nov 2021, 10:10)

I think we should be courteous and compassionate to our MP. Does anyone think that Mr Courts is not trying to do the best job that he can? Does anyone think that he, like many of us, is not ambitious, that he does not want to add value in many more ways than his current position in government allows? I would be surprised if he did not want these things. 

I might not agree with some of his or his party's policies, but I would challenge anyone who says that he does not work hard for his constituents or that his intentions are not good. 

MPs are constantly put in difficult positions where they are forced to balance constituent, party, country, government and personal priorities. If the Whips give a three-line  and you are a member of the government you have to follow it. I know from my time working with government that there can be so many votes during a day that they sometimes turn up to the lobby and don't know what the vote is on/for; they just follow the Whip's finger. They have to trust the leadership (NB what is most interesting about this issue is that many of them, including government ministers, are outraged and angry with the Prime Minister).

If you want to know Mr Courts' position on the scandal: just ask him. His office are good at responding to letters and emails and always willing to help.  

If you disagree with Mr Courts' approach, either his policies and what he has done as an MP, then stand against him at the next general election, or campaign for the candidate that you believe can unseat him. 

Thanks. 

Stephen Andrews
👍 13

Sun 7 Nov 2021, 17:33 (last edited on Sun 7 Nov 2021, 17:33)

There is a consistent mucky theme in his recent whipped voting record, first on sewage, and now as 'one of Boris's troops following him through the sewer'. 

His hypocrisy is priceless. Here he is legally pontificating over the Chequers' Brexit proposal 16 July, 2018 "But the whole point of our Parliamentary democracy is that individual MPs are required to scrutinise the proposals of the Executive and, if they cannot support them, to say so." 

Can the Tories please put up a donkey for election next time. It will get in, but at least we can save our breath. 

Valerie Stewart
👍 3

Sun 7 Nov 2021, 10:10

I looked at his website yesterday.  It has two opinion-seeking questionnaires; they haven't changed for several years.   The questions themselves are slanted for the answers he'd like, which is perhaps to be expected, but surely he should be asking for new ideas and information?  

James Styring
👍 6

Thu 4 Nov 2021, 11:31

Looks like paid lobbying is on if anyone has deep pockets and a cause that needs bribery to get it through:

"All but a few Tory MPs voted on Wednesday not to suspend Owen Paterson after he was found guilty of paid lobbying by a standards watchdog. The amendment also provided for changing the system for investigating breaches of standards. "

Robert Courts MP voted with the government not to suspend Owen Paterson.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2021/nov/04/how-did-your-mp-vote-on-the-owen-paterson-case

Alice Brander
👍 4

Thu 4 Nov 2021, 09:07 (last edited on Thu 4 Nov 2021, 12:09)

Yes Mr Courts voted in favour of a retrospective rule change and the self-regulation of behaviour.  As he has supported water companies self regulation in another complaint on this website.  As he refuses to enforce the wearing of face-masks in crowded places.  There is a pattern, individual responsibility not collective responsibility.  Mr. Raab is busy looking at removing the powers of the Supreme Court as they apply to the Government.   

I too was hoping that the 30% of the electorate who voted for this Government might do something about all of this.   I am not hopeful like Charlie.

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Wed 3 Nov 2021, 22:18

I also strongly agree with Sue and Charlie, except that I think it a mistake to think that Robert Courts will no longer be our candidate at the next election. 

It's just too early to know whether Charlbury will move into the Banbury constituency. I know that both Witney and Bicester have been suggested as alternatives. Also, given that Robert Courts lives in Bladon which is currently designated for the brand new Bicester constituency, we can't be sure whether he would become a candidate for the Bicester constituency or decide to remain with Witney. 

Charlie M
👍 3

Wed 3 Nov 2021, 19:34 (last edited on Wed 3 Nov 2021, 19:35)

Sue, I wholeheartedly agree with you. But what did you expect? Another mu... sorry... puppet of his party.

As far as I'm concerned, things may be looking up because from what we hear, by the time of the next election, Courts will no longer be our MP, as we will be in a different constituency.

Good riddance to him, as far as I'm concerned...

Sue Way
👍 12

Wed 3 Nov 2021, 18:52

Government Ministers and MPs voted today to overrule an independent cross-party committee which had found that a Conservative MP (Owen Paterson) repeatedly breached the agreed rules of behaviour by taking over £100,000 a year to lobby Ministers on behalf of his paymasters.

Which way did Robert Courts vote? With the government.

It seems some MPs have learned nothing from the expenses or the cash for questions scandals.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.