street fair 2007 (Debate)

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 12 Oct 2008, 21:09

Returning to the original question - pics now uploaded.

graham W
👍

Sun 12 Oct 2008, 16:57

I read you the first time there Ken, but does it matter if I'm local or an incomer?

(Refers to a post which I've deleted for being uncivil --Richard)

graham W
👍

Sun 12 Oct 2008, 16:42

Sorry, wrong surname there Ken. try again!

ken jones
👍

Sun 12 Oct 2008, 16:35

are you a local lad or an incomer mr widdows.

graham W
👍

Sat 11 Oct 2008, 21:48

When I were a lad PC stood for PC Plod, a local bobby who knew everything/body on his beat. He (sorry could be a she or it...) normally on his bike (sorry about that again - should read bicycle) or walking around. If you did anything wrong a good clip 'round the ear and frog marched to your parents where by their embarrasment would clip you as well, but even that can't be done because of this PC Crap

Igor Goldkind
👍

Sat 11 Oct 2008, 07:35

Familiarity does breed contempt.

Dave Oates
👍

Fri 10 Oct 2008, 13:49

...and I thought it stood for Petulant Cyclists

Igor Goldkind
👍

Fri 10 Oct 2008, 13:00

Nothing Susie, it was an off the cuff response to Ken Jones lamenting the PC brigade. I get so frustrated hearing that old chestnut being thrown up, I fired off a background note in reply.

Obviously off topic: apologies.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Fri 10 Oct 2008, 11:06

Igor - what are you on about?

Igor Goldkind
👍

Fri 10 Oct 2008, 08:57

Apropos PC; Understanding the origins of the language you use:

" Most commentators observe that the term "political correctness" was re-engineered by American conservatives after 1980 as a way to reframe political arguments in the United States. According to Hutton:

"Political correctness is one of the brilliant tools that the American Right developed in the mid-1980s as part of its demolition of American liberalism....What the sharpest thinkers on the American Right saw quickly was that by declaring war on the cultural manifestations of liberalism - by levelling the charge of political correctness against its exponents - they could discredit the whole political project."[26]

Such commentators say that there never was a "Political Correctness movement" in the United States, and that many who use the term are attempting to distract attention from substantive debates over discrimination and unequal treatment based on race, class, and gender (Messer-Davidow 1993, 1994; Schultz 1993; Lauter 1995; Scatamburlo 1998; Glassner 1999). Similarly, Polly Toynbee has argued that "the phrase is an empty rightwing smear designed only to elevate its user".[27]

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Sun 5 Oct 2008, 17:16

Rich - you should also be getting some from Laurie Baughan today.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 5 Oct 2008, 14:44

It's the me-being-disorganised brigade, I'm afraid, Ken/Ivan/Giro/whoever you are today; Dave Murphy has given me some excellent pics and I haven't got round to putting them up on the site yet. Will do asap.

ken jones
👍

Sun 5 Oct 2008, 14:40

why are there no photos of the street fair could it be the pc brigade again. we could all be pedophiles on this web site?.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.