Town Council (Debate)

Lisa Wilkinson
👍 2

Fri 12 Apr, 12:25

I've put some information on the TC website (https://charlbury-tc.gov.uk/) about what is involved in being a town councillor but if anyone has any questions please just ask.

We will be co-opting at the meeting on 15th May.

Gary Harrison
👍 2

Fri 12 Apr, 10:13

Hi Katie,  if you would like more information on what the council does and what the commitment entails can I please suggest that you have a look at the town council website at:

charlbury-tc.gov.uk

You could also have a chat with Lisa the Town Clerk about what is involved.  You can contact her by email. clerk@charlbury-tc.gov.uk

Or, as Chair of the Town Council, I would be very happy to have a chat with anyone who is interested in standing for Town Council and to answer any questions that they may have.

Emily Algar
👍 3

Thu 11 Apr, 16:28

I agree to an extent John, but some people may not have had availability to stand at the time or their circumstances have changed now allowing them to devote time to being a councillor. 

I stood for election in 2021, didn't get enough votes and then when an opportunity for co-option came up, I took it. Three us applied and the current councillors voted me in. 

Kate - I would suggest contacting James Stying or Gareth Epps, or even myself and we can give you an idea about time commitments etc. 

Katie Ewer
👍 3

Thu 11 Apr, 16:12

I'd like to stand for this, but I have no detailed idea what's involved and for me, I'd be more likely to if there was some way to shadow a current member and have a real understanding of the commitment before standing. Otherwise it's too much of a leap of faith

john h
👍 6

Thu 11 Apr, 12:41

If people cannot be bothered to stand for election,why co-opt,? this is not giving the Townsfolk the opportunity to vote for Councillors. If you cannot put yourself forwards for election,it does not seem correct to allow yourself to be co-opted .To think at one stage up to 20 people put up for election!..Co-option does not give a fair  coverage of the Towns requirements from a Councillor.

Gary Harrison
👍 3

Wed 10 Apr, 10:48

There will obviously be an opportunity for people to stand for co-option to the Town Council in the coming weeks and I would encourage people to stand if they can.

john h
👍 1

Tue 9 Apr, 11:19

Pretty much says it all Richard!! JH

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 5

Mon 8 Apr, 17:07

I was amused at the juxtaposition of “Time to vote for the Charlbury Sausage” and “Only seven candidates nominated for Charlbury Town Council”. We can’t vote for councillors but we can vote for a sausage…

I agree, it is a shame. It’s certainly not the first time there haven’t been enough candidates though.

john h
👍 6

Mon 8 Apr, 16:58

Poor show , only 7 people prepared to stand for Town Council. Will we every have a proper elected Council again ??. JohnHarrison (councillor for 20+ yrs)

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.