Relocating from the City to the Beautiful Countryside (Debate)

stephen cavell
👍

Mon 1 Apr, 09:23

Hi Callum it is April the 1st to day.

stephen cavell
👍 3

Sun 17 Mar, 08:38

Mmmmm......we are edging ever closer to April Fools Day?

Melissa Midgen
👍 12

Sat 16 Mar, 22:37

Ok- genuine question : is this a spoof?

Callum Thomas
👍

Tue 5 Mar, 20:53

Good evening everyone, 

Thank you all for your messages - wow! we have started a good debate here. 

We didn't realize until we spoke to some lovely locals ( Jane and Bruce - THANK YOU for our lovely chat) that Charlbury is all over the newspapers and co. We had no idea. We came to visit Charlbury many times before the kids and with the children, we love the Cotswolds and the surroundings - our kids love it too, we always felt like relaxed, calm, at home. We also love the fact that Daylesford is nearby, wife is in the creative world so we sometimes had weekends away at the Farmhouse. but we used Kingham as station or drive - Estelle Manor we never been and WE LOVE THE PELICAN and just found out when we visited in January this year that is related to THE BULL. 

Anyways, we do hope to find something soon. Thank you all, again :) 

Best,

The Thomas's 

Hans Eriksson
👍

Tue 5 Mar, 20:33

Thanks Michael. Spent some time in Soho London yesterday, and realised quite soon it's different from South of Houston St in NY. It's hard for us globetrotters to keep the places apart!

Michael Flanagan
👍

Tue 5 Mar, 13:37

It's not SoHo Farmhouse. 

London's Soho (where the first Soho House hotel was developed), and Birmingham's Soho House (the house 18th century industrialist Matthew Boulton built next to his factory) both got their names centuries  before some New Yorker coined the glib "SoHo" to describe a newly trendy area of his or her city.

Quite fortuitously, Soho Farmhouse was opened more or less the same time as the chain's founder (Nick Jones: then a resident of Bampton) decided his hotel club should be open to "businesspeople with creative souls". Of whom, of course, Matthew Boulton was the outstanding example.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 2

Tue 5 Mar, 11:14

There’s absolutely a debate to be had about the gentrification (or otherwise) of Charlbury and I’m sure people have interesting views on it.

But at the moment it does seem as if every other thread is being diverted that way. I am hiving these posts off onto a separate thread so that there’s a place to discuss this without hijacking the original subject.

Charlie M
👍 3

Tue 5 Mar, 10:04

Sooner rather than later, I hope!

"Exclusivity"?

Well I drink in the best pub in the world; that's "exclusive" enough for me, thank you very much! 

Liz Puttick
👍 4

Tue 5 Mar, 09:15

The scene will move on, but probably not this year. (‘It doesn’t feel special’: is Soho House a victim of its own success?)

Tim Gosling
👍 1

Tue 5 Mar, 07:17

A quick question for you Callum. What factors influenced your selection of Charlbury as your next destination? Were any of the things listed by Hans considered when you picked Charlbury? We seem to be featured a great deal in the newspapers and i wonder if that is how you heard about the town?

Good luck with your move. 

Hans Eriksson
👍 5

Mon 4 Mar, 22:07

Good luck. This is an expensive area and has become much more so in the last 10-15 years due to Clarkson's Diddly Squat, Daylesford, SoHo farmhouse, Estelle Manor and many other things. The recently revamped pubs are very popular with visitors apparently from Notting Hill and similar places. We see Aston Martins and Ferrari shooting brakes now. So you will pay a premium. Yes, there is a good train service to Paddington. But there are equally very many similar places that may not have the same cachet price premium as around here if you don't need to commute. 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.