"How the Cotswolds became the billionaires’ new playground" (Debate)

Rosemary Bennett
👍 9

Wed 13 Sep 2023, 10:16

On the night of the Press Reviewers and the Influencers evening at The Bell, (I know…..) I already noticed some of the beautiful people with their noses hard up against the Estate Agents’ windows. There will never be generations of the same local families living unpretentiously here, will there?

K Harper
👍 1

Tue 20 Jun 2023, 17:57

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/23600062.oxfordshire-plans-holiday-park-abandoned-f1-headquarters/?ref=socialflow&fbclid=IwAR1wxNcq9sBJdBEnqEk72lRViJOFWGSs1iFPqRGvXi6jxNesYai9M9PlssQ_aem_th_ASGpx8D1AFLmsK1IeaTP57bO8AQ7RT9h6_383RHbCLrlcO0pEE3jo1f-EUr5WxZkbKw

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 1

Tue 20 Jun 2023, 16:00

Interesting to see too that an upmarket-looking “holiday lodge park” is planned for the site of Leafield Technical Centre – https://twitter.com/OxfordClarion/status/1670708635838685184.

They’re suggesting an on-demand shuttle bus from Charlbury station to the site.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Mon 19 Jun 2023, 15:21

How do we protect ourselves from The Wealth Pump? How does Air'b'n'b relate to us and the hollowing out of our town? I'm thinking of ordering this book from the Library to put it on the shelves 9if they do big print  :-(

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/jun/10/how-to-avoid-a-civil-war-by-the-man-who-predicted-trump

==================

Paste the article below in…

Long post - click to read full text

Alice Brander
👍 4

Mon 19 Jun 2023, 10:43

Yes, advertising fluff.  Advertising the sale of land to overseas investors.  I liked the "OneperCentaParks".  A sort of 21st Century Enclosure movement for the mega-rich, not sheep, deer and grouse this time.

But a serious side effect.  What are we going to do to allow ordinary folk like us to survive?  We can't emigrate anymore unless we are very, very rich.  Maybe we need a town meeting to talk about how to provide affordable accommodation for people who have to work for a living?

Alan Cobb
👍 3

Mon 19 Jun 2023, 09:32

Its a load of advertising puff article.  Since when has Aynho been in Oxfordshire, let alone the Cotswolds?

Charlie M
👍 4

Sat 17 Jun 2023, 18:50 (last edited on Sat 17 Jun 2023, 18:50)

So sad. (And I don't mean the bit about "JRR Tolkien’s favourite boozer".)

Matthew Greenfield
👍 4

Sat 17 Jun 2023, 14:44

Insane article in The Times this week:

How the Cotswolds became the billionaires’ new playground

(I managed to read it without being a subscriber.) The Bell at Charlbury gets a mention as "once JRR Tolkien’s favourite boozer".

Lots of weird details such as the existence of "Range Rover House, a car clubhouse for well-heeled, clean-wheeled 4×4 enthusiasts on the Daylesford campus"...

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.