Is Charlbury aware of disabilities? (Debate)

Gareth Epps
👍 4

Fri 9 Jun 2023, 09:38

Richard Fairhurst has the map we used for the consultation.  In the coming months there will be a statutory consultation on this plan (via OCC though the project is volunteer-led) and the issue of access barriers on footpaths will be addressed.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 8 Jun 2023, 18:39

I wonder if anyone has a map of all the intriguing footpaths/alleyways through Charlbury.  Preferably one which shows the ones which are disability unfriendly.

Yesterday I got "stuck" on one which had concrete steps.  Surely it doesn't cost much to transform steps into ramps?  I was there for two hours and had to call friends to extricate me, more specifically, my invalid carriage. It is jolly heavy because it is battery powered.

Hannen Beith
👍 3

Thu 8 Jun 2023, 14:04

Many thanks to Gareth Epps for pointing me in the right direction (sic)!  A very interesting report.

I wonder why people think they have to have a car when Charlbury is served by so many buses and (occasionally) the train?  We have given ours up twice now in the last few years and it really isn't much hardship although I appreciate that there are some who need one to get to and from their workplace.  And having a car is much more flexible, esp timewise.  In the last 6 months I've had to get taxis back home from Oxford, and Witney.  Not cheap, but cheaper than owning a car.

Continuing the original post  

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Tue 6 Jun 2023, 23:01

Thank you Gareth.

Gareth Epps
👍 3

Tue 6 Jun 2023, 20:27

The answers are "yes" to all this.  The survey done as part of the draft cycling and walking plan (https://charlbury-tc.gov.uk/journeys-team/) repeated earlier findings that we have severe access issues throughout nearly all of the town.  It affects those with mobility scooters, prams and other buggies, as well as those whose mobility is impaired but who walk.

Unfortunately there is very, very little money available to add in the measures necessary for step-free access. 

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 6 Jun 2023, 19:56 (last edited on Tue 6 Jun 2023, 20:13)

Having recently become aware of my physical disability and purchased, at my expense, an invalid carriage ( a mobility scooter), I have become aware of how disability unfriendly Charlbury is.

Just little things, like concrete ramps instead of steps, and "humps" to get in and out of shops (not that we have many).

Isn't it time that the Town Council reviewed this?  As for the visually impaired (of which I am one) it must be a horrid place to live.  It could all be corrected at minimal expense with a brief survey.

"Walkers are welcome"?  Yes, if you are able bodied.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.