Proposed 20mph zone (Debate)

Graham Wisker
👍 1

Fri 23 Aug 2019, 20:14

If there is a rule about 20mph speed limits no being applied on roads that have a high count, how come there is a speed limit (of 20mph) on St Giles (A4144) in Oxford and Banbury Road (A4165) in Summertown?

Alex Michaels
👍 1

Fri 23 Aug 2019, 18:09

I agree with whats been said below. Its a waste of money putting up 20mph signs in the centre. Its much better for all Charlbury to be covered by this limit. It would cost the same amount so you will get more for your money that way.

Speed humps are noisy and the firemen on Sturt road might not like them. Going into Witney from Hailey there is a restriction near the petrol garage, that would be a better way to slow traffic down instead of speed humps. If they are expensive they can be fitted in the future when money is available.

Why is there no lorry weight limit already. As is mentioned below these are drivers who are not sticking to A roads and taking a short cut through Charlbury.

Liz Leffman
👍

Fri 23 Aug 2019, 14:23

Nice idea, Hannen, but if you read the page you will see that these bumps are for private roads only, I'm afraid.

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 23 Aug 2019, 13:26

I agree with Simon and Sam.

Why don't we just buy some speed bumps from https://speedbumpsdirect.co.uk/ and put them in ourselves?

Sam Small
👍 2

Fri 23 Aug 2019, 09:00

Hi, we live on Sturt road and agree completely with Simons comments. We want lower speeds and no big lorries please.

David Thomas
👍

Thu 22 Aug 2019, 23:33

Richard,  a 20mph zone require traffic calming but a blanket 20mph limit doesn't - see DfT circular 01/2013, specifically section 6.1, paragraghs  80 & 81. 

Paragraph 83 describes the quality of life and health benfits of walking & cycling and the environmental benefits that are all assisted by having a 20mph limit.

Simon Himmens-Warrick
👍 1

Thu 22 Aug 2019, 17:03 (last edited on Thu 22 Aug 2019, 17:06)

When people mention the Slade, please also consider that Sturt Road is a continuation. We are blighted by high speeds on there, particularly early in the morning and into the late evening. We are regularly woken by cars and motorbikes whizzing by possibly in excess of 60 mph. I rise to work often before 5am and some of the speed traffic passes along the road at that time of day is horrendous.

I have to say 20mph limit in the town centre seems sensible but in my opinion is unenforceable. 

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍 3

Thu 22 Aug 2019, 15:44

Also pointless in having 20mph in Charlbury town centre as you can’t do that even if you wanted.  It’s the peripheries of the town that need it - and maybe perhaps deter lorries from coming through our town.

Alan Cobb
👍

Thu 22 Aug 2019, 15:20

I don't know whether the rules have been changed since it was imposed, but the A687 through Burton in Lonsdale has a 20mph limit.  Only calming measures are some speed bumps near the school bend - if coming from the north, you don't encounter them until you are through the village. 

Jackie Hague
👍 1

Thu 22 Aug 2019, 13:37

I agree with Susie and Sam, for pedestrians crossing at the Enstone Rd junction there is no safe crossing point.  

The same applies for all pedestrians attempting to cross between Woodstock Road and Hixet Wood and the bus stop at Wellington Cottages.  

If traffic calming measures were introduced at these junctions everyone would benefit.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍 3

Thu 22 Aug 2019, 13:10

I have to second that suggestion as it’s so difficult to cross either The Slade near the Enstone Crossroads or the crossroads themselves.   As mentioned before as Oxford have got 20mph speed limit why can’t we? 

Sam Small
👍 3

Thu 22 Aug 2019, 12:59

Hi, I have to cross the road at the Enstone crossroads daily and it’s the huge articulated lorries coming from the Enstone direction and turning into the Slade that are a real nuisance. They often block the whole junction with cars backing up everywhere making it dangerous to cross. Can’t we include a weight limit together with the 20mph changes here. These lorries are going usually to Witney and shortcutting through here.

Liz Leffman
👍

Thu 22 Aug 2019, 10:39 (last edited on Thu 22 Aug 2019, 10:45)

The contribution was from the development on Pooles Lane and is currently being held by OCC for the purpose of installing the 20mph zone.  I can confirm the money has already been received from the developer and is waiting for us to use it.

Not sure about the 20 mph restriction on what are technically A roads in Oxford but I can certainly find out.

Brian Murray
👍 1

Wed 21 Aug 2019, 22:41

Two points occur to me from Richard's response to David Thomas. If DfT rules do not permit 20 mph limits on B roads, I would expect (perhaps wrongly) that same rule to be applied to A roads too. However in Oxford city centre, St Giles, Woodstock Road and Banbury Road are all subject to 20 mph, yet they are part of the A44 and A 4165 routes. Can anyone explain how this has come about?

Richard also tells us that part of the circa £5K cost of the town centre 20 mph project will be a 'developer contribution'. Is this contribution something that the Town Council has already received or is there a developer lurking and looking at Charlbury? Is it possible to learn more about this contribution please?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 21 Aug 2019, 19:23 (last edited on Wed 21 Aug 2019, 19:38)

Department for Transport rules do not allow 20mph limits to be applied to B roads like the Slade which currently have a high traffic count (AADT) and high average speeds, without installing physical traffic calming.

The 20mph limit proposed for the town centre will be funded by the Town Council…

Long post - click to read full text

David Thomas
👍

Wed 21 Aug 2019, 18:39

The Charlbury Chronicle mentions a proposed 20mph zone in the town centre and Enstone crossroads. The majority of Charlbury residents live 'further out' and won't benefit at all from this. Why not include the whole of Charlbury within the zone so that all householders can benefit from the safety and environmental improvements that this change offers. 

The Charlbury speedwatch group have shown conclusively over the past 2-years that the main speeding problem spots are on The Slade, Woodstock Rd, railway bridge and beyond the Enstone Rd allotments - this proposal doesn't fit their efforts at all.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.