Robert Courts & Vote of No Confidence (Debate)

Mark Luntley
👍

Fri 5 Apr 2019, 13:13 (last edited on Mon 8 Apr 2019, 19:52)

I wrote to our MP a couple of weeks ago. I recognised that he has different views from the majority of his constituents (but I accept MPs are representatives and not delegates.)

I asked Robert Courts to set out the specific benefits to West Oxfordshire of the Brexit approach that he proposes.

I've not yet had a response (to be fair all MPs probably have quite big mailbags at present).  

I'm not sure I can immediately think of benefits of Brexit to this constituency - but others may well be able to identify some.

Sean Hosking
👍

Fri 22 Mar 2019, 16:02

Interesting to see on this map that currently over 7% of Robert Courts constituents have signed the "Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU" petition

http://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=241584&area=uk

Mark Luntley
👍

Tue 12 Mar 2019, 09:32

I notice in today's "Guardian" that Robert Courts is one of the eight lawyers that the ERG has said it will rely on scrutinise and pass judgement on yesterday's offer from the EU.

Alice Brander
👍

Sat 2 Mar 2019, 17:09

I fear he didn't listen for long.  On 27th Feb Mr Courts abstained from voting to note his Prime Minister's proposal which 502 members of Parliament were able to unite behind and 20 of the extreme European Research Group voted against.   It seems Mrs May enjoys the same level of support from him as his constituents.  

Philip Ambrose
👍

Fri 15 Feb 2019, 07:46 (last edited on Fri 15 Feb 2019, 07:47)

Charlie,

It looks like he might have listened to you or read your post. According to the BBC website

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47245992 he voted FOR the government amendment yesterday.

Charlie M
👍 1

Fri 18 Jan 2019, 20:32

Although this thread has now been grease-pitted, I'd like to record that today I sent an email to Courts. It won't do any good, of course:

Mr Courts,
This is to inform you that I have signed this petition, calling for a second referendum on Brexit:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/235138…

My reason for this is simple: Given the very small majority in favour of Brexit in the referendum, coupled with the downright *lies* expressed by Rees-Mogg, Johnson and others in the now-discredited ERG, particularly with regard to the claims made about additional funding for the NHS which would accrue after Brexit, the only solution is a second referendum, now that the electorate is aware of the *truth* surrounding this issue.
You will of course be aware that the constituency that you represent in Parliament, Witney, voted to *remain* in the referendum. I trust that from now on you will represent the views of your constituency correctly, over and above the now-discredited ERG.
Yours faithfully ...

Philip Ambrose
👍

Wed 16 Jan 2019, 18:59 (last edited on Wed 16 Jan 2019, 19:12)

So Robert Courts couldn't even support a soft Brexit (a la May) despite his Witney constituency voting 54/46 in favour of Remain.

The Conservative Party is now totally disunited, incompatible busted flush.

Despite my being a lifelong Tory voter until recently, you won't get mine however much you rely upon the argument of being the lesser of two evils. Nor will crackpot Corbyn for that matter.

Expect a backlash at the ballot box sometime soon.

Your (ERG) leader Jacob is Cream Crackers.

Matthew Greenfield
👍

Fri 14 Dec 2018, 20:44 (last edited on Fri 14 Dec 2018, 20:45)

Robert Courts is obviously a shy Tory

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shy_Tory_factor

Philip Ambrose
👍

Fri 14 Dec 2018, 16:55

"country and constituents have to triumph every time"

And how did his constituents vote in the referendum?

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 13 Dec 2018, 18:15

Robert is quite right. The whole purpose of a secret ballot is to prevent undue pressure, bribery, etc. He is under no obligation to tell anyone how he voted. The same goes for the rest of us in General Elections.

Andrew Wilkinson
👍

Thu 13 Dec 2018, 18:04

I have now received a reply from Robert Courts, its a standard response as there must have been a number of constituents asking the same question. Within the response was the following: 'I will not be waiving the privacy of a secret ballot' So he is not going to tell us, a course of action he is of course perfectly entitled to take as an MP.

Christine Battersby
👍

Wed 12 Dec 2018, 22:33 (last edited on Wed 12 Dec 2018, 22:34)

We can't be sure how Courts voted. But he sets out his rationale (at great length) here: https://www.robertcourts.co.uk/news/why-i-cannot-support-eu-withdrawal-agreement-its-current-form

I found the following section of particular interest: Courts asks himself whether he should support the Prime Minister's Withdrawal Agreement, either "To support the Prime Minister, or out of party loyalty?"

He then answers his own question:
"... I should also say that I have the utmost admiration for the Prime Minister's determination and tenacity in negotiating a deal which she no doubt sincerely believes to be in the national interest.

But with that said, my highest loyalty is owed to my country and my constituents, and if this conflicts with my loyalty to my Party then I am afraid country and constituents have to triumph every time. Admiring someone is no reason for supporting a course of action that you believe to be wrong. The fact that ultra-loyalists as Mark Harper and Andrew Mitchell have come to the conclusion that they cannot support the Government's line is a clear indication that something is badly wrong."

There's a lot more also. I note particularly the reference to his constituents who did, of course, vote to remain. Overall, his rhetoric suggests that he is unlikely to have voted in support of Theresa May.

Charlie M
👍

Wed 12 Dec 2018, 21:23

It seems that May has survived. Just announced.

Thomas Griffiths
👍

Wed 12 Dec 2018, 20:57

I wonder if he sent one of the 48 letters? He hasn't confirmed either way but it wouldn't surprise me as he is so obviously a hard brexiter.

Hamish Nichol
👍

Wed 12 Dec 2018, 19:10

What they say and what they do is potentially entirely different as it is a secret ballot.

Andrew Wilkinson
👍

Wed 12 Dec 2018, 17:45

Has anyone heard how our local MP is intending to vote ? I have asked through 'official' channels but he is not saying anything at all. We know he does not support the withdrawal agreement, it's on his website, but nothing at all on this vote

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.