What’s going on at The Bull? (Debate)

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 4

Mon 20 Mar 2023, 09:32

Planning applications have been submitted for both the Bull and the Bell recently and can be viewed via links on the News page.

Simon J Harley
👍 7

Fri 17 Mar 2023, 14:38 (last edited on Fri 17 Mar 2023, 14:38)

James, Little Monkeys employs 24 members of staff, so the Bull are certainly not the biggest employer in the town.  Any other bidders for the biggest employer?

Hans Eriksson
👍 2

Sun 12 Mar 2023, 20:33 (last edited on Wed 15 Mar 2023, 21:23)

No comment

Martin Ellis
👍 6

Sun 12 Mar 2023, 19:11

Well I’m sorry it’s affecting you personally, prime reason why not to get yourself involved in other peoples matters. Approach them directly and address it with them if you believe you should have a say in their affairs. 
best regards 

James Norris
👍 2

Sun 12 Mar 2023, 09:16 (last edited on Sun 12 Mar 2023, 09:38)

Yes I absolutely have. Not as personally as the many people who have lost their job because a 4-hour round trip for minimum wage plus trips wasn’t an option, Martin. Guaranteed you’ve not spoken to any of them affected by it with this type of attitude. Young kids with little other employment options locally because the blue rinse brigade object to any change. 

“Plans change” and “none of our business” really rang true when The Bell was closed by Greene King and everybody had a complete meltdown. “Plans have changed” at the Mullin museum, yet log onto the WODC planning portal to see how many people are crying with rage at a few more cars passing through their villages. No wonder Boomers are mocked and hated by the younger generations so much, everything is on their terms.

Martin Ellis
👍 17

Sat 11 Mar 2023, 20:25

It seems like you’ve really taken this personally James. It’s really none of our business, sounds like plans changed, as they do, they’ve tried to do the best by their staff by giving them an option rather than laying them off, which is commendable really. Businesses need to earn money, so I’m sure they’ll be open as soon as they can! Anyway, as much as this thread has ended up in the debate section, it really doesn’t require any further discussion. Let’s see what comes of the Bull 👍

James Norris
👍 1

Sat 11 Mar 2023, 16:09 (last edited on Sat 11 Mar 2023, 16:39)

It’s not gossip, it’s what is happening. Your reply was stating the obvious; yes anybody who takes over a business can do what they want, but it doesn’t make their actions any less dreadful when it screws over the people who work there or the people who use the facilities.

They took on a staff of around 15 people, arguably the biggest employer in town, then mothballed them for 5 months, knowing they’ll either have to leave or have no choice but to take up the ridiculous “Everybody can work from our London pub as long as they’re fine doing a 4 hour round trip every day and not seeing their families ever”. Who realistically would do that for a pub job, unless they have no alternative? Imagine that’s a car plant instantly laying off all its staff  or saying they had to travel hundreds of miles if they want to work and tell me there wouldn’t be uproar.

There’s been zero work done. Zero planning applications. Zero reason not to be open.

Martin Ellis
👍 12

Sat 11 Mar 2023, 14:51

You’re trying to encourage gossip and berate a business, if my comment wasn’t the reaction you wanted, great 👍

Mr A McNea
👍 7

Sat 11 Mar 2023, 13:06

Well said Martin

James Norris
👍

Sat 11 Mar 2023, 12:58

What a boring contribution, Martin.

denise martyn
👍 1

Sat 11 Mar 2023, 12:45

I hear the Bell is also not due to open till August

Martin Ellis
👍 13

Sat 11 Mar 2023, 09:30

Being as they’re the owners, their commitments and reasons as to why it’s been pushed back are of no business to anyone else, just because they own a public space doesn’t mean they owe you anything. 

Plenty of other local pubs to visit in the mean time, somethings are best given time and not rushed, from a business point of view, this is one of them. 

James Norris
👍 3

Fri 10 Mar 2023, 13:49 (last edited on Fri 10 Mar 2023, 13:51)

Just heard reopening has been pushed back until mid-May, yet still no planning application submitted nor work taken place internally (or noticeably so). This is a really important community space and keeping it closed for seemingly no reason other than what appears to be commitments elsewhere is ridiculous.

Another, likely longer, closure will happen when planning finally goes in and gets accepted. 

James Norris
👍 1

Tue 7 Feb 2023, 18:06

Thanks Phil and Sacha, appreciate the update.

Helen Chapman
👍 2

Tue 7 Feb 2023, 16:27

That is great news - very glad to hear that the rumour mill was wrong on this occasion!

Kim Harrison
👍 3

Tue 7 Feb 2023, 15:10

Thank you Phil & James! Cannot wait for you to reopen - we miss you! xx

Gordon Clemson
👍 4

Tue 7 Feb 2023, 14:12

Thank you very much for the update and such a quick response.. looking forward to the re-opening and many more enjoyable visits

Really enjoyed the pop- up and New Years Eve !

Matt Bullock
👍 7

Tue 7 Feb 2023, 13:55

Hey, real news! Thanks Phil, all as I thought. Enjoyed the pop-up last year and looking forward to the Bull in full later this year.

The Bull
👍 37

Tue 7 Feb 2023, 13:38

Dear Neighbours,  

I have a message from The Bull Owners Phil and James.  We have seen the messages this morning and thought it best to communicate directly to you via the forum.

Sacha

There seems to be a lot of speculation surrounding what is happening at The Bull, and James…

Long post - click to read full text

Matt Bullock
👍 22

Mon 6 Feb 2023, 20:52 (last edited on Tue 7 Feb 2023, 11:27)

Interesting times at Charlbury’s pubs. Listening to the latest issue of the podcast “More Bull in Charlbury” I learn that the Pelican in Islington is not named after the big-beaked birds found in St James’ Park, but after the pedestrian crossing, as a twin to their other pub, The Zebra in Tooting Bec. The delay to the Bull is due to the attempt to rename it “The Toucan”, to reflect the walker and cycle friendly-nature of Charlbury, has been challenged by Diageo, owners of the Guinness brand and the rights to every other big-beaked bird apart from a Pelican, in the Irish Supreme Courts. After rejecting ideas to name it after the two other famous crossings, ”Dartford” and“Second Severn”, and also considering "Caterpillar" as a rival to another popular earthmoving machinery brand (Colin's owners threatened to sue again), the decision has been taken to go a different direction and name it the Wildebeest, possibly after the character portrayed by Sir Lenworth Henry, who may or may not be a director of something, or more likely referencing the creatures that roam freely in the nearby Wychwood Forest. Start spreading the gnus.

The Bell is progressing and soon we shall be able to drink in “Diggers” bar, the bright yellow décor reflecting the company’s heritage, complete with pleasant aromas of diesel fumes, the gentle ticking of an engine and the background squeal of hydraulic rams. Locals will be able to drink there but will have to pay a deposit on their glasses and won’t be allowed to converse with diners, nor to mention Greene King, Komatsu or Retrospective Listed Building Consent.

As Gordon says, it would be nice to have some real news.

Graham Wisker
👍

Mon 6 Feb 2023, 18:29

If that's the case Helen, when it's quiet in late January  and February, they'll be begging us locals to come in.

Helen Chapman
👍

Mon 6 Feb 2023, 16:09 (last edited on Mon 6 Feb 2023, 16:10)

Latest gossip I have heard (and it is gossip, I've no idea where it came from) is that the Bell bar will be for hotel guests only - which perhaps fits with the Bamfords buying The Bull to become their 'locals' pub. Not great news for the town if true.

Jody O'Reilly
👍 3

Sun 5 Feb 2023, 15:58

It’s a listed building if they’re doing anything beyond redecorating inside they’ll need listed building consent if not planning permission. 

James Norris
👍 2

Sun 5 Feb 2023, 14:19 (last edited on Sun 5 Feb 2023, 16:39)

I’ve been told by staff they were due to come back end of Jan only for this to move to April. What are they expected to do for money for the next three months?

Gordon Clemson
👍 5

Sun 5 Feb 2023, 14:17 (last edited on Sun 5 Feb 2023, 14:18)

Thank you for the updates.. but can we really believe any of it ?

Having been told by one of the builders at the BELL, that their next job is the BULL as its now owned by .. the BAMFORDS. ?!

Nothing wrong with that, as long as Charlbury is not deprived of both pubs for what will be the most of 2023. 

I was also told by a 'reliable source' that the 10 year lease has in fact been sold for a good sum of cash and the Owner Charlie has sold the pub.

Who do we believe and when will someone do the decent thing and give an accurate, honest update to the people of Charlbury.

Its the least  that we deserve.

Anyone, ? All we want is to be kept uptodate within reason as the what is happening to our lovely Town and its facilities

Liz Leffman
👍 1

Sun 5 Feb 2023, 12:25

The owner, Charlie Crossley, has let the Bull on a ten year lease to the owners of the Pelican, who did a pop-up just before Christmas (excellent food, by the way) and are now doing a re-furb with a view to reopening in the spring. I don't think planning permission is needed as the changes are all internal. I was told this by one of the staff, by the way.

James Norris
👍 4

Sun 5 Feb 2023, 08:47 (last edited on Sun 5 Feb 2023, 08:47)

Personally I’m not overly concerned with who owns it, their political allegiances or even price point. My worry is more about the good people they inherited and their livelihoods, plus having an important part of the community actually available to use. It becoming part of some portfolio of very affluent people is fine, as long as they’re actually open.

Andrew Chapman
👍 2

Sun 5 Feb 2023, 07:35 (last edited on Sun 5 Feb 2023, 07:50)

Bamfordisation, allegedly (as at Bell).

James Norris
👍 3

Sat 4 Feb 2023, 23:16 (last edited on Sun 5 Feb 2023, 07:26)

After a brilliant start as a Pelican pop-up, with real efforts to integrate into the community, the place is vacant. They closed at New Year, saying they were reopening at the end of the month, after some refurbishments. Plans to change the kitchen location, refurb some areas etc. All staff asked to take a month off but assured jobs would be kept on.

Planning has been not applied for as yet, they’ve moved the proposed reopening to April (at the earliest) meaning all staff have to find new employment. The staff have been kept in the dark throughout, many of whom are local residents, some who have travelled from much further afield for their jobs.

This pub is a cornerstone of the local community. It’s a place you take visitors, proud that you have a local to while away an afternoon by the fire or with some music in the garden. The lack of communication to both employees and customers is pretty outrageous. 

Does anybody have any info? James, Phil? 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.