The Thomas Gifford Trust is a charity registered with the Charity Commission No. 1155669
The Trustees of the Thomas Gifford Trust, a local charity dedicated to Charlbury Town and the surrounding area, welcome you to our website.
The Trust has existed since 1592 and its charitable purpose is:
The work and focus of the Thomas Gifford Trust over the last 10 years or more has been on raising funds for and managing the construction of Charlbury Community Centre, which opened on 9th September 2017. We are very proud of this achievement and it is already adding much to the sporting and social life of the town. Please see Charlbury Community Centre website for more information about its facilities and how you can use them: https://www.charlburycommunitycentre.org.uk/
THANKS GO TO . . .
The Trustees are indebted to the Community Centre Appeal Committee and all their supporters for generating much needed funding towards the proposed building. We are also immensely grateful to Charlbury Town Council, West Oxfordshire District Council and Oxfordshire County Council for their support, both practical and financial, to deliver this important community building. There are many other organisations, such as Sport England and individuals whom we would like to thank and these are listed on signs within the building and on the Community Centre website.
HISTORY: as summarised from the research of Lois Hey
The Thomas Gifford Trust was established in 1592, when Thomas Gifford handed over to 8 local residents of Charlbury, Fawler and Finstock to hold on trust, The Playing Close and other properties in Charlbury. These included the Church House (now Manor House and Sunnyside in Church Street) where the Manorial Courts were held and Church Slade, being a two acre field north of Charlbury.
When Eynsham Abbey was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1539, all the Abbey's land in Charlbury became Crown property and, in common with monastic property throughout England, was promptly sold. In 1555, when Mary was on the throne, the Manor of Charlbury was sold by Edward North to Sir Thomas White. Sir Thomas White founded St John's College in Oxford, and in 1574 he endowed the College with the Manor of Charlbury. St John's had the foresight to have their ownership endorsed by Elizabeth I. However in January 1590, Elizabeth I gave the Manor of Charlbury to Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex, as a present.
Essex sold the Manor two months later to Robert Chamberlain and Philip Scudmore, who financed the purchase by borrowing £800 from a moneylender. They then leased the land for 99 years to John Chamberlain (probably Robert's brother), who resided at the old Eynsham Court house (now the Priory). However, in 1590 the President of St John's College, Dr Hutchinson, also happened to be the vicar of Charlbury. He produced the document, endorsed by the Queen, establishing the ownership of St John's. Robert Chamberlain and Philip Scudmore had no alternative but to sign documents recognising the ownership of St John's while they still owed £800.
Mr Thomas Gifford, a gentleman of Middle Claydon, Bucks, now enters the story. He was the son-in-law of John Chamberlain. In 1591 Thomas Gifford signed documents whereby he would discharge the £800 owed by Robert Chamberlain and Philip Scudmore in return for, amongst other things, the Manor and tithes of Charlbury.
John Chamberlain then took a new lease to the Manor of Charlbury from St John's College for three lives, but shortly thereafter sold the lease to Sir Henry Lee of Ditchley. It was then pointed out to Thomas Gifford that property which did not belong to the Lord of the Manor had been included in the supposed sale to him. So it was that in October 1592, he signed a deed handing over The Playing Close and the other lands on a 998 year lease to George Tennant, a dyer, Richard Evans, gentleman, and 6 other local notables to be held for the benefit of the people of the parish of Charlbury - thus The Thomas Gifford Trust was established.
Chris Potts - Chair of the Trust
Chris Potts is a partner in large regional law firm. He is the Chairman of The Thomas Gifford Trust and uses his broad knowledge of commercial and charities law to assist with navigating the multitude of agreements needed to help with the running of the new Community Centre. Chris and his family have lived in Charlbury for over 12 years - he has 3 children all of whom went to Chipping Norton school.
Marjorie Glasgow has worked in business development and management for 35 years. She served as Chairman of the Thomas Gifford Trust until the Community Centre was completed and is now particularly active in the area of fund raising and youth services.
A mining engineer and geologist by profession, Simon is one of the world's foremost mineral-sector journalists and researchers. Since moving to Charlbury 2007 he and his wife, Rhona, have involved themselves in the town's life. Simon has been Chairman of The Charlbury Society for 5 years and more recently became Honorary Secretary of The Charlbury Motor Fire Brigade Fund, which is strongly supportive of the Community Centre project. He currently fills the positions of Honorary Secretary and Honorary Treasurer for the Thomas Gifford Trust, including responsibility for managing donors' grants.
Paul is a member of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) with over 25 years real estate industry experience. He ran his own company for 15 years (based in 5 countries) and more recently managed the asset and property management teams at Deloitte LLP. He currently has a variety of roles that include consulting, lecturing on the Real estate program at Oxford Brookes and acting as a lead advisor to the Institute of Residential Property Managers. Paul is actively involved in the town with significant involvement in the local football and cricket youth clubs. He acted as the Trust's key representative in managing the construction contract with Beard and chairs the Sports Sub Committee.
Tanya is Chair of the Charlbury Community Centre Appeal Committee which raises money for the new Community Centre. On the Thomas Gifford Trust she has responsibility for Communications and she helps organise activities for school age children. She's an active volunteer at several of the town's other organisations such as the Day Centre, the Library and the Home Library Service. Tanya also sings in our local community choir. A graduate of Sheffield University in French and Russian, her career experience is in Library and Information Services, and more recently as a pre-school leader in South Oxfordshire.
Eileen has worked in IT and financial and retail administration for more than 30 years. Having lived in Charlbury since 1982 she has been treasurer of the PTA, scouts and guides and the Corner House; and for the last 15 years treasurer for Nine Acres. She is looking to seamlessly integrate the facilities of Nine Acres with the new building to the advantage of all.
Richard took up residence in Charlbury 35 years ago after a career as a Group Captain in the RAF serving in the UK, Germany and the Middle East. He subsequently became a director of a UK civil engineering company specialising in airfield and motorway construction before retiring to do community related activities in the Charlbury area. He is a founder member of the Community Centre Appeal formed in 2003/4 and has been its Treasurer ever since. He is also a TVP police volunteer and helped to run the Charlbury Police Office for 5 years before its closure a couple of years ago and is still called upon occasionally to act as an escort and for invigilating duties.
Sue and her husband Graham moved to Charlbury in 2012. Sue was a secondary school English teacher for over 20 years, latterly also setting up and running a Behaviour Support Unit. In 2006 Sue left the classroom to support the education of children in care in West Berkshire.
Sue retired in 2014 and is now very active in Charlbury, singing with Voices Unlimited, working as a volunteer with Books on Wheels and as a member of The Library Design group. She also continues to sing with a chamber choir in West Berkshire and works as a volunteer for the Oxford Support Group of Hope and Homes for Children and at Helen and Douglas House in Oxford.
She has a very strong commitment to reading and to the wide use of libraries for all. Sue is the trust's link to Oxfordshire Library Service and to The Friends of Charlbury Library.
Richard has lived in Charlbury for 24 years after previously living in Norway and the United States. He is now retired from a career with a multinational energy company ending with the position of vice president. He is a Chartered Engineer and has experience managing large development projects and negotiating major commercial ventures. Currently he looks after Health and Safety and cost and budget within the Thomas Gifford Trust.
Roger, a qualified mechanical engineer with over 50 years' experience in the construction industry both in the UK and overseas, is part of the team of trustees who are overseeing the construction of the new community centre and has special responsibility for the building's energy efficiency and mechanical systems.
Passionate about sports, Roger has played most team sports in his youth - of particular note: playing rugby for London Wasps and ice hockey for Wembley Lions. A Charlbury resident since 2011, Roger is keen to help develop sports facilities in the town.
Phil is a South Wales farmer's son. He studied French at Lancaster University and then worked as a teacher in London, Wiltshire and Oxfordshire. He moved to Charlbury in 1983 and worked at The Marlborough School, Woodstock from 1979 to 2014, latterly as Deputy Head in charge of premises development and facilities management. He has been a Town Councillor since 2015 and is coordinator of Charlbury 'Working Party' volunteers. He is an associate volunteer for the Street Fair and an active Committee member of the Football Club.
Phil enjoys pub life and public debate. He recently became a Trustee of the Thomas Gifford Trust as the Council's nominated representative, and has taken on the task of managing the Playing Close and food vendors.
THE PLAYING CLOSE - HISTORICALLY
According to a talk given by Lois Hey to the Charlbury Society in 1987, it is around 400 years since the land now known as the Playing Close was confirmed as belonging "to the only use, profit and commodity of the tenants and inhabitants of Charlbury, and to no other use".
It was where all the able bodied men of Charlbury had to practise archery in the days of the longbow, to be ready for military service. In 1813, the Trustees had to order that "all timbers and dunghills be removed before the ensuing fair", although thankfully the atmosphere is now a lot fresher than it would have been then.
The Playing Close is now well known for the magnificent trees, planted in 1890 at a cost of 7 shillings 10d, the Water Fountain erected to commemorate the visit of Queen Victoria to the Town and the green oasis it forms in the middle of Charlbury.
THE PLAYING CLOSE - 2014
Today we enjoy the Playing Close as a pleasant place to walk and sit, to visit the quarterly Farmers Market, as a venue for School Fairs, the local Scouts & Guides Fair, along with various other events such as the Annual Fun Fair and Street Fair.
If you want to use the Playing Close for your event or other community activity, please contact the Trustees.
The Trustees gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the Town Council to assist in the maintenance of the Playing Close.
or via Charlbury Community Centre 01608 811878
If you want to make a donation to support the new Charlbury Community Centre you can do so here: https://www.make-a-donation.org/campaign/charlbury-community-centre-appeal
Last updated: Mon 15 Oct